Unitiy3d 2.0 is out

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:13

Unity3d 2.0 Engine is out:

http://unity3d.com/

You can make games for Mac, PC and Web-Browsers with this tool. It provides very good and easy-to-use editors and supports lot of scripting languages. The editors work on Mac only but some of the users even bought a Mac only to use this engine like you can see here:
http://entitycrisis.blogspot.com/2007/01/unity3d-evaluated-wow.html

Dont forget to check the demos. Their tropical island demo uses streaming similar like Oblivion to display tons of details with only little memory usage and short loading times.

Have fun while examining their websites!
Frank
Posted By: ello

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:28

that looks quite interesting, too

btw, is there an overview regarding indie vs. pro ??

oh, i just realised the mac-[censored].. thats crap!
Posted By: fogman

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:34

I can´t enter the store, it won´t open up the site.
Looks really like a nice solution.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:42

i guess thats what we want 3dgs to look like:)
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:52

look at their jobs section. there will be a windows editing environment sooner or later. to me unity3d is the most interesting competitor of gamestudio.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 08:53

Quote:

i guess thats what we want 3dgs to look like:)

Hell yeah!

If I had a Mac I think Unity would be the way to go. You don't know when it will get ported to Windows do you?

Well ok - most of the images just show some sweet eyecandy and not much of the engine but even this is something 3DGS needs as most you only have mediocre pictures here if at all. But besideds all this look at the editors and especially look at the price. The Indie Version is just 150 € - that's just awesome...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 09:25

i dont care if its against the forum rules, im gonna go ahead and say it...

holy [censored]

running that tropical demo from my browser just makes me so happy you know i wonder how long its going to take before the industry finally takes that final leap into having large scale fully online browser based games, think about it, player your game from anywhere, buy a game, get a login, add games to your acct.... it would be amazing... and! no more cd keys to lose.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 09:31

From what I read on the website, the pro version doesn't contain post-processing (render to texture), Real-Time Dynamic Shadows and video playback + the unity asset server thingy. But apart from that this package is great!
Posted By: vlau

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 09:49

Supporting of multiple scripting language is the
right direction for today modern engines, people
can shorten their development time with their
familiar programming language.

I'm looking for this engine for a long time, as a
windows user the only thing that I can do is "wait".

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 10:00

on the gamestudio forecast page there is an official c# wrapper now. i am not sure but probably this means that a7 will also be useable with all .net languages then.

Quote:

From what I read on the website, the ->indie<- version doesn't contain post-processing (render to texture), Real-Time Dynamic Shadows and video playback + the unity asset server thingy. But apart from that this package is great!

yes, you have to keep in mind that you will get post-processing, shadows and video with a7 commercial. unity3d pro costs 60% more than a7 pro.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 10:05

Quote:

I'm looking for this engine for a long time, as a
windows user the only thing that I can do is "wait".

Or get a mac

This Engine is really great, especially on Mac. Though i couldn't find much about the Lincense Description...

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 10:47

Quote:

yes, you have to keep in mind that you will get post-processing, shadows and video with a7 commercial.

Was the video playback in 3DGS fixed in the meanwhile? I still remember a discussion about problems with the playback and pretty much only be able to use strange codecs from the stone age without problems...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 11:17

Awesome

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 11:55

Quote:

use strange codecs from the stone age without problems...

If you keep sure that your video codec is installed on the user's PC, you can playback anything. So, e.g. you want to use the latest DivX technology, include a DivX installation (if this is permitted, I dunno) and run it during your setup routine.

I like unity's editor and the workflow implementation for native formats, like importing a PSD, automatic flattening and automatic DXT conversion - with one click!

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 12:19

Quote:

If you keep sure that your video codec is installed on the user's PC, you can playback anything. So, e.g. you want to use the latest DivX technology, include a DivX installation (if this is permitted, I dunno) and run it during your setup routine.

That's not the point. If I'm right Acknex just displays them as 16Bit videos and as most codecs are 24Bit they get color adapted which doesn't look very nice. So in order to evade such artifacts you have to use a 16Bit codec but I don't know any modern one and that's what I meant with "stone age"...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 12:26

As long as you use 16bit movies, you won't have any problems at all. 24bit is overrated . Lol, no, you've got a point actually, I wonder why it can't display movies properly in 24bit yet, it uses the Microsoft CBaseVideoRenderer filter, so it should be able to, right?

Cheers

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 13:07

This thread is about Unity, so stay on topic Phemox!
Posted By: broozar

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 13:59

shiva/ston3d follows similar goals: real time shadow mapping, post processing and easy to use shaders, cross-platform, in-browser gaming. the shadow renderer is not that advanced as unity's atm (only 1 shadow per model, point lights cannot throw dynamic shadows yet) but i think it will have a bright future as it's announced for the 1.7 release. http://www.stonetrip.com and it's available for windows, too. looking at the editors, i must say that they don't differ too much, they even got both the play/pause/reload -viewport buttons. unity-like terrain features are on the way.

about getting mac os x on your pc, *solely* for educational purposes, of course: http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Vmware_how_to

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 14:08

Had anyone hands on Unity so far?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 14:19

I've now had a look at their forums and the Windows port seems to be one of the next big changes for unity and might happen next year. Before that there although seems to be a Wii port too which I think is awesome!

@broozar:
I had a look at that after you told about it in this thread but to be honest I didn't like the interface...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: IslandDreamer

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 17:23

I've been using Unity for about a year now. I bought a Mac specifically to run it and couldn't be happier. It is everything that is advertised and more, although the Pro version is required for shadows and Windows export.
Posted By: TheExpert

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 17:32

It has improved a lot from the past

i have readen the car tutorial some time ago , very easy to undertsand and easy language.
The editor is top notch , totally artist oriented.
all shaders , lights etc.. integrated .. good next gen thing.

Don't know if LOD is to you to manage or it it is incorporated ,
like texture LOD (two powerfull features for big performance) ??

Im' just waiting a version indie for windows and could buy it , too expensive
the pro version for people like me that won't seel or produce incredibles games

I just think 3DGS is lot of users asking some basic things /shaders etc ... ;
compared to Unity where all users got all shaders ready and others full / easy terrain editor etc ... : )

Just my advice : )

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 17:37

hell, i just checked the web interface at home. how can this be? plugin loads and installs with no time and than i see tose shadows in the shadow room, physics, ...? wtf.. thats stunning

and tha reflections at the tropical paradis.. i know for what i'll keep my money now...
Posted By: Samb

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 19:02

holy [censored] O_o
the island demo is incredible.. and everything runs trough the browser.
you haven't to restart the browser too O_o

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 20:41

Tried also the live island demo :

- smooth , fast
- lot of palm trees moving with wind , grass in the wind , all smooth
- fast loading , like Call Of Duty 4 PC demo !!

As good as Far Cry (jut need texture projection for trees shadows and some other things)

But i just can say : Next Gen, Powerfull (grass ,objects,water shader ... all
very smooth in a web Window), can only be better on fullscreen

Juts Great engine , Blender animations/textures support ,
what people want more

Just hope a future affordable Windows version ??

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 20:55

Tried their Ever Fate demo for PC !

in the past i was disappointed by their FPS demo , but this one just stucked me
Shaders in all the level , ennemies, very good frame rate , some great particles effects and shaders (like the shield), great 3D art for levels and normal/specular maps.
It looks , sounds and I's Next Gen demo indeed
For an indie demo it's impressive and a big easy boss battle at the end.

Anybody having the engine and this basic code could imrpove it and make some
futurist call of duty : )

Just one thing to say : download and try Ever Fate PC demo
That's what i like impressive demo showing what the engine can handle

How many years for 3DGS bring such powerfull demo hhhéhééhéé !!

just read that to see what it can do
features

i don't wanted to buy an engine ,seeked for a good one :
BV engine was not enought fast,, had lot of issues etc .. not
enought easy language ...

And i'v tried that Ever Fate Pc demo, i can say i'm going to buy the indie version indeed
Afetr playing their demo i can say its THE Next GEn complete engine with
all modern interfaces, editors for indie market !

Just try their Ever Fate demo
(i have AMD dual core + 7600 GT Nvidia : All fast and smooth) and their demo don't have LOD for level, ennemies with some big detailled things ,
so i think it could run lot more faster with optimisations)

I think the BEST INDIE ENGINE with easy language (C#,Javascript, Boo)
and the better indie tools i've seen (terrain editor with folliage/trees
painting) , all shaders ready to drag and drop on the scene

What do you need more ??
Posted By: fogman

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 21:15

Could someone post the license models / prices of Unity? I still can´t enter the shop of this page...
Would be very nice, thanks in advance.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 21:27

Yeah the license, possibilities of indie version are not explained

a last word : it's easy to see why Unity is so powerfull / advanced , next gen and in indie market possible :

unity team

That's seems to not be only 1 or 3 guys working on it , but lot more

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 21:34

I tested this shooter demo now. Well i dont like it, its boring and doesnt look really "next gen" like people said xD You can archive this with 3dgs without any problems.

But the Island demo is awesome... i was so shocked that this runs in a webbrowser and it looks really cool (except the underwater effect, just blured view).

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 22:52

--- for german users only:
was ist ein intel-mac? kann ich osx auch auf "designed for windows"-pcs installieren?

http://www.mcnix.de/?q=node/22

für alle, die mit dem unity-gedanken spielen, sollten sich das durchlesen.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/12/07 23:48

Quote:

--- for german users only:
was ist ein intel-mac? kann ich osx auch auf "designed for windows"-pcs installieren?

http://www.mcnix.de/?q=node/22

für alle, die mit dem unity-gedanken spielen, sollten sich das durchlesen.

Indeed: Bootcamp just the other way round would be cool...
But I don't see this ever happen...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 02:00

Quote:

Yeah the license, possibilities of indie version are not explained

a last word : it's easy to see why Unity is so powerfull / advanced , next gen and in indie market possible :

unity team

That's seems to not be only 1 or 3 guys working on it , but lot more

I just met the entire Unity team at their first user conference in San Francisco. The team is huge, but that is because their sales are going so well. Last year, when I first licensed the engine, there were only three guys on the team.
Posted By: zazang

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 02:19

looks like a promising engine...what are the advantages/disadvantages of GS over Unity ?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 03:53

Mac is a so niche market with less then 5% market share, I can't imagine what they achieved today and they are still growing, they are sure will deliver the Windows version I believe, and then they will grow bigger and bigger..

OMG they even support Blender .blend file. Is it true or just marketing fake?
Quote:

Just Hit Save

Hit Save in Maya, Cinema 4D, Cheetah3D or Blender, and Unity will pick up all changes across your entire project. It's that simple. See the bottom of this page for a full list of supported formats.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 04:19

http://unity3d.com/company/people
the core team doesn't seem to be as big as on the photo. maybe on the photo there also are the people for "Global Conflicts: Palestine" which got done by their sister company. i like the idea of a sister company which does real games though.

Quote:

Could someone post the license models / prices of Unity? I still can´t enter the shop of this page...
Would be very nice, thanks in advance.

indie $200
pro $1500

i don't find the differences of the editions on their new page anymore but if i remember correctly from their old page then indie has the following limitations:

• your company must not exceed a certain turnover per year (but i think the limit was high enough for small or single person companies)
  • no publishing to windows
  • no dynamic shadows
  • no post processing
  • no video support

i think "no dynamic shadows" and "no publishing to windows" aren't that great.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 04:29

It is even better if they have a team to make games to show off the engine. Like Croteam and Crytek.

This team member make me sick
Quote:

Valdemar Bu&#269;ilko
Wii Hero (Lithuanian)

Valdemar works on Unity's Nintendo Wii runtime.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 07:57

Quote:

• your company must not exceed a certain turnover per year (but i think the limit was high enough for small or single person companies)
  • no publishing to windows
  • no dynamic shadows
  • no post processing
  • no video support

i think "no dynamic shadows" and "no publishing to windows" aren't that great.

The different of indie and pro are list on download page.

trial

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 09:54

Don Kiyaku :
I tested this shooter demo now. Well i dont like it, its boring and doesnt look really "next gen" like people said xD You can archive this with 3dgs without any problems.

You know they are not a game company , and their demo is just technic ,
not a real game.
It's just shaders/lights, effects showcase and how many geometry/detailled texture the engine can handle,
and with the demo i can say that's really ok

On 3DGS you'll have to find all scripts for shaders etc ... in Unity
you just have to apply them to your models
And with Unity i can import directly Blender models and animations , that's what i appreciate a lot.

What i don't like is really the limitations of indie version :
no soft shadows,
no full screen processing effects and some others :
reminds me 3DGS limitations and this is what make me don't buy this great engine

Why such limitations : why not doing like TV3D engine , and have a full version
, no limitations with indie price of some 200$ where you coudn't use it for commercial things ?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 10:12

Quote:

On 3DGS you'll have to find all scripts for shaders etc ... in Unity
you just have to apply them to your models
And with Unity i can import directly Blender models and animations , that's what i appreciate a lot.

What i don't like is really the limitations of indie version :
no soft shadows,
no full screen processing effects and some others :
reminds me 3DGS limitations and this is what make me don't buy this great engine

Why such limitations : why not doing like TV3D engine , and have a full version
, no limitations with indie price of some 200$ where you coudn't use it for commercial things ?

I guess because they think the target customer of indie developers are average power computer, those high-end features target for company that have a budget.

But the direct support of .blend file, easy drag'n drop interface, multi-platform, web publishing, so many build-in effects are worth $1499. The only disadvantage is it is only for Mac

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 10:55

well $1499 for a team that will produce a game ok.
But for indie lonewolf no

And sorry but lot lot of guys who are not a team have top notch 3D cars , a lot paly Bioshock

Sorry but soft Shadows, full screen effects etc ... don't ask last 3D card , even Guild Awrs on old 3D cards do bloom and other full screen effects,
full reflective water etc ...

Well i let down this engine for the moment !
not for indie lonewolf !

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 11:03

I like the FPS demo. Look at the distortion shader when you change ammonition or when a grenade explodes. The models are cool, the winged statue looks nice and the big robot at the end is very well animated. The space ship looks great. There are tons of realistic looking particles and dynamic lighting.

Everything has shaders applied.

The weapons are cool, have nice zoom, grenades and secondary fire mode.

The only bad thing: The game controls are fps-dependend so it feels a bit strange in some areas when the control gets faster or slower.

But I am really impressed. If a Mac would not be that expensive then I might buy this engine but now I have to get a camcorder first

Regards,
Frank

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 11:44

Y%eah indeed Friendly_Frank like isaid
Full Next Gen
You don't need a mac , you can publish to Web Browsers !
But i recognize publishing to PC in full screen game is what we want.

(and this is a tech demo the compa,y is not a game making company)
Try shift to pull a barrier (nice transparent shader with effects)

The demo colors , textures with normal/specular make all look really in the mood Gears of Wars , it's looks and it's full Next Gen indeed

The control of mouse is using physic and some acceleration that'w why is a bit strange, i bet you can use simple mouse code like in lot of other 3D engines.
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 12:43

Quote:

But i recognize publishing to PC in full screen game is what we want.

you can always right-click over the game on the browser and set it to full screen.

Or you can always make a simple application using Visual Basic or C# or C/C++, add a browser control into it, make it fullscreen and load the ".unity3d" into it.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 18:07

Quote:

the bad thing is for now the editor is only available for mac. this sucks so hard.. yesterday i checked out what a mac pro costs.. arrgh;)

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 19:11

Quote:

Quote:

the bad thing is for now the editor is only available for mac. this sucks so hard.. yesterday i checked out what a mac pro costs.. arrgh;)

Tell me about it!

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 20:54

Too bad, the terrain editor specially looks fantastic ...
why do they targeted Mac , caus PC is so much selled in first place ?

Let's dream of such great ergonomic/visual editors, next gen things, easy to use/program , such great tech demo , at an affordable price , in
a new 2D engine in indie market

For people having a Mac and lot lot of money its' the way ot go

By the way some complete powerfull free engines exist and some AAA commercial games can be made : BAd point you need programmers to code game and tools
last Ogre 3D game
So loosing time for tools etc ... not for me

I just need something as ready Next Gen to use and artist oriented as Unity

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/13/07 22:09

Quote:

.. yesterday i checked out what a mac pro costs.. arrgh;)

Although Mac Pro's and Mac Book Pro's are excellent machines, they are not necessary to run Unity.

I am using a last generation Intel iMac, which can still be found for around $1000, and it runs great. Beware with the new generation of iMacs, though. The $1199 model ships with only 128MB of video RAM. For advice on which Mac to purchase, ask on the Unity forum. The folks there are very friendly.

Also, Macs are now excellent Windows machines with either Bootcamp (dual boot) or VMWare. I don't recommend Parallels with a Mac Book Pro. I never got it to run and I found many posts online from users with similar issues.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/14/07 01:53

@ TheExpert, maybe GameBench will come back online, its potential for art focused people was huge as it was created by an artist programmer but too many complaints saw him shut everything down.

On T, has anyone got a demo level of Unity happening, not from the unity people but from anyone migrating?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/14/07 04:23

The gallery page http://unity3d.com/gallery/ has plenty of examples of completed games or works in progress from Unity users.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/14/07 11:08

Nemisis :
GameBench looked cool , but not perhaps as powerfull as Unity , it's demo was too simple.
And yes it shutted down , letting people who as paid for it with no money back
It was a bad plan, so if it comes back , be carefull !

Island_Dreamer:
Yeah in the gallery lot of beautifull things, caus the editor as all you need for terrain with great textures included, water shader (you just have to drop it ) , and integrated top lightening.

That's why all looks lot better than 3DGS , the lightening is better than basic 3DGS one , and sahders/effects push everything up.

Perhaps MAc people put more effort on 3D art also ??
makes all look better : )
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 05:58

This is amazing

Quote:

But the Island demo is awesome... i was so shocked that this runs in a webbrowser and it looks really cool (except the underwater effect, just blured view).

And we don't even have a simple blur in gamestudio
I want real blur in gamestudio

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 09:48

of course you can have blur in gamestudio and with the upcoming render chain features it will be easier to do.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 12:18

I forgot Pro and A7 could do it .
Posted By: D3D

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 14:00

When available for Windows I really think about buying the indie license

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 14:13

remember that the really stunnig fetures (Realtime soft shadows, Render effects bloom, motion-blur, ..., Reflection and refraction, Render-to-texture based effects ) aren't available with the indie license.
Posted By: D3D

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 14:24

Oh that's just sad
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/15/07 18:24

#defube NEXT_GEN PRETTY_GRAPHICS
#define CURRENT_GEN NEXT_GEN

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/16/07 23:29

Quote:

has anyone got a demo level of Unity happening, not from the unity people but from anyone migrating?

Well, I don't an apple yet, but I just installed a MacOS on a virtual machine inside my WindowsXP, and now I am installing the Unity engine trial.
So, you can try for yourself, see if is it good and then save money to buy it.
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/17/07 07:26

Sorcerer, is the MacOS emulator complex for installation? Does it run well? Does Unity run well on it? Could you share your experiences, please.
I don't want to do it without a second opinion, I'm afraid of breaking XP

thanks in advance

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/17/07 14:12

Quote:

Sorcerer, is the MacOS emulator complex for installation? Does it run well? Does Unity run well on it? Could you share your experiences, please.
I don't want to do it without a second opinion, I'm afraid of breaking XP

thanks in advance

No, It is no complex at all. The MacOs runs fine. But the problem is that Unity inside the virtual Mac is not that fast. When I first run it, it opened the tropical sample and it was very slow. But then I close it and opened an empty project and it was faster. So, this approach it is only good for trying the engine, not to work with it.

The software that I used is VMWARE version 6. And when you start to create a new virtual computer, you have to choose windows, then "windows NT". The Mac version that I am using is Mac OS X 10.4.8. After running the installation process of the Mac, just follow the instructions. Very simple!

You don't have to be afraid of breaking XP, because it won't mess with XP. It is just another software that simulates a computer. I use it all the time to test the softwares that I develop for others OS. For example, Windows XP in others languages, Windows 98, windows 2000, Windows Vista. What I do is, I create those virtual computers, install those OS inside of it. And then I save the images of it. Later, when I need to test a software, to see if will run fine with those OS, I just get the DVD and run the VMWare with the OS that I need to test.
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/17/07 14:48

thanks a lot man... will try it this weekend
What do you think of unity so far? (regardless of the speed)

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/17/07 20:58

Read the threads ,
for me i said the demo you can download and test is a great
Fukk Next Gen demo without any LOD optimisatiosn and runs
great on my PC :
level with normal/specular maps, sepcial particle shaders, shader effects ...
For me it's the engine.
- no editors for PC
- the big price
- indie version too limited

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/20/07 21:41

Unity 2 big terrain: This is a video of someone's game:

http://www.waimoo.com/clientes/peli2.mpg 30MB

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 06:16

Man, that girl walks funny!

So are you still running Unity on a virtual machine? What do you think?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 09:28

The egnine is POWERFULL AS HELL
for big detailled terrains, tress,plants etc ...

Should buy the indie version for PC the day it appears with editors, even if missing some next gen functionnalities.
If i can have such terrains and import Blendre animated models : can redo
an offline Guild Wars like RPG

That's THE NEXT GEN INDIE ENGINE , but NOT INDIE PRICE
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 11:15

Quote:

This is a video of someone's game:

Just a question, I am not an artist
Do you mean that it would not be possible to make something similar using 3DGS ?
If so, why ?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 13:30

Ahahahahaa
Alberto :
read lot more posts, or use 3DGS some more or the demo if you don't own the engine.

Unity has lot fo features and tools that 3DGS don't have for terrain.
in some clicks you can have a relective water, you can paint folliage, trees on terrain and also standard tools to edit/paint terrain.

And Unity is more powerfull can handle terrain with all trees folliage and Next Gen scenes with soft shadows,shaders(normal/specular),lights all integrated,
ready to use.

Go to Unity site and look at editor interfaces/features

ahahahahaaaa
Alberto where have you been the last 6 months ?
Posted By: Samb

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 14:35

@expert
as already said: the indie version doesn't support those graphic features.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 14:54

But indie version have complete terrain editor and features i think !

Only some shaders and fullscreen ones, shadows are not supported and publish for windows !

Well Ok i admit, it's PRo version and the cost is also Hight

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 15:47

Quote:

But indie version have complete terrain editor and features i think !

Only some shaders and fullscreen ones, shadows are not supported and publish for windows !

Well Ok i admit, it's PRo version and the cost is also Hight

It is cheap, only 1500 $ for the pro. If you employ me for just a month then it would be more expensive
If you start a serious project then this price is a gift, it is nothing compared to other expenses you have to cover.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 16:40

Quote:

Quote:

This is a video of someone's game:

Just a question, I am not an artist
Do you mean that it would not be possible to make something similar using 3DGS ?
If so, why ?

Why does it all come back to this? Where do you see me saying that we can not do the same with 3dgs? This is not about 3dgs. It is about Unity.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 17:09

Yeah it's Unity
To compare you can find some war threads like :
3DGS Vs T Rex Engine
or others !!

Friendly_Frank :
Yeah, it's cheap , but lonewolves no :
caus i'll never sell a game ,not my goal , so 1500$ to have top notch tools to play and have lot of good time ... hummm .. perhaps no

But for serious teams like the ones that maked a game with Unity , yeah indeed,
if you're sure to sell something , it's THE ENGINE
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 17:12

Quote:

Why does it all come back to this? Where do you see me saying that we can not do the same with 3dgs? This is not about 3dgs. It is about Unity.

I appreciated more the Expert's answer

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/21/07 17:39

Don't take it bad Albertto

Here are some veteran like in War
So some of us have the reflex to quickly attack before the thread go in
lot of useless directions

It's not 3DGS Vs Unity , but we can say this features exists or not TODAY
in 3DGS ( i say today at this hour , not in some days or in a forecast beat etc ..)

If all people could think by the terms of Today : What are the facts
what have the engine or don't have Today at THIS HOUR.
I think each people would take engine A or engine B directly without waiting future (that sometimes never happen).

That's not comparing that's facts

Well let's stop here and come back to Unity don't want some bad war
, 3DGS is nice engine , not the best perhaps ,but far from the baddest ones

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 10/22/07 00:33

Unity is cheap, if you can affort the price of Maya or 3D Max. I really doubt how many indies or lonewolves have 3D Max.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/18/08 23:39

There is a new demo of unity showing realtime shadowcasting, phyisics, multiple dynamic lights and all in your browser \:D . I hope Im not late with this, but I havent seen it yet.

It looks really stunning, check it out.
http://unity3d.com/gallery/live-demos/shadows

(P.s. use arrows to rotate around)
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/19/08 13:18

The web solution of unity 3d is cool, don't know about its stability though. Installed it, tried a demo and boom! My comp shut down and started rebooting...

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/19/08 14:50

I plan to buy a 24" iMac to play Unity, which version of Mac OS you're using?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/19/08 18:16

yes, i also plan to get me such a damn macm only for this unity
maybe such a mini mac will do the job

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/19/08 18:56

Originally Posted By: TheExpert
Yeah, it's cheap , but lonewolves no :
caus i'll never sell a game ,not my goal , so 1500$ to have top notch tools to play and have lot of good time ... hummm .. perhaps no \:\)

But for serious teams like the ones that maked a game with Unity , yeah indeed,
if you're sure to sell something , it's THE ENGINE \:\)

This is a somewhat silly comment that keeps popping up here... according to you on one hand 3DGS is expensive for what it offers, even though it's actually even cheaper, on the other hand engines like Unity3D 2.0 are too expensive too in your opinion. No one will inevitably sell anything... So... it's never alright. Don't get me wrong, I think Unity3D 2.0 is impressive and all, but it's a bit weird to complain about prices like this...

Cheers

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/20/08 03:51

The graphic in Mac Mini is too weak to run 3D, the iMac is much better, I almost bought it but I am waiting the 2008 hardware upgrade.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/20/08 21:29

PHeMoX: Please do note that I bumped up this thread from half a year ago :P. So quoting people from more than 6 months ago is kinda like fishing up old cows \:D .

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/21/08 07:38

Originally Posted By: Joozey
PHeMoX: Please do note that I bumped up this thread from half a year ago :P. So quoting people from more than 6 months ago is kinda like fishing up old cows \:D .

Well, yeah, but I don't expect a reply back anyways and it doesn't really matter. It's not like the comment I made is 'outdated', quite the contrary...

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/21/08 08:18

Yeah ok, just so you know \:\)

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/21/08 22:46

Yeah, you were right though. It didn't make much sense posting that comment after all this time that has passed. \:\)

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 08:55

I also tried stuff in Unity3D some month ago. It's a really cool engine and i like the scripting a lot, it has a great workflow.

Though if i would get Unity, i also want the render to texture and shadow features. This is only available in the Pro edition, which is too expensive for me at this time.

If you want, you can try some applications i made with Unity3D at my website:

Kiyakus Unity3D Applications

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 11:14

may i ask you what makes you use torque instead of unity?

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 11:41

Originally Posted By: ello
may i ask you what makes you use torque instead of unity?

Originally Posted By: Kiyaku
Though if i would get Unity, i also want the render to texture and shadow features. This is only available in the Pro edition, which is too expensive for me at this time.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 11:44

Yeah like frank quoted me, this is the main reason.

I got the torque license before i knew unity3d and it is way cheaper. That's probably the only reason. Though for 2D games i would still go on with Torque Game Builder.

If i would win the lottery and be able to get the Pro edition of Unity3D, i would definitly buy a license.

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 12:07

considering the ammount of money spent on other gd tools i think the pro license is affordable. from what i've seen so far, i think torque and unity dont play in the same league

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 12:48

Just as note, with saying "expensive" i don't mean the engine is expensive for it's price, it's just expensive for MYSELF at the moment.
The price is fine for what you get.

Can't tell if they play in the same league. Both are top game engines. I didn't try the graphic aspect of unity3d that much so i can't say something about, i just know what i saw on screenshots and it looks brilliant, nevertheless i saw the same quality with torque.

As programmer i prefer torque a bit more, cause the scripting language is more powerful. Still, i also like the Unity scripting.

Torque can port games to xbox, mac, windows and wii. Unity can port it to iPhone, webbrowser, windows, mac, whatever.

I don't think it's quite possible to compare both engines with each others, they have pros and cons, it always depends on your projects and audience.

All i can say, Unity is worse every cent, you won't regret it. But buying a mac just to get unity.. i dunno, maybe people should get something else then (if they didn't plan to get a mac anyway, since they are awesome :))

Re: Unitiy3d 2.0 is out - 04/22/08 16:15

Unity support Wii too.
© 2024 lite-C Forums