Crysis Engine :

Posted By: TheExpert

Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 11:28

Well tried the demo

Yeah can be done with 3DGS but in all parameters at LOW

I play 800*600 , effects , shaders ,particles,special effects at MEDIUM , all
rest LOW.
Even like that you have specualr/normal map shaders on characters,rocks,palms(spceular just??) etc ...
Water is a simple reflective plane with some effects, already good!
Don't put it at MEDIUM or you'll see real waves and your FPS will drop down a lot.
Same thing for shadows.
even in that low parameters , the game is great, great 3D art on models , their
suits with normal /specular are incredible , and sss shader make their
heads real

In fact , it's a lot Far Cry 1 engine enhanced in graphics only for me.

You can see LOT LOT of LOD used MASSIVELY.
rocks pop in front of you some meters forward , no smooth transparency transisiton like Oblivion.

The levels use lot more rocks and object instancing, to speed up.
Don't forget lot of Sprites for far trees and LOD on nearest ones.
LOD on terrain textures(distant ones become blurred on terrain : mipmapping ) !
Well i'm non impressed at all.

Now
I've tested with effects at MAx : 2-5 FPS second (Dual Core 2.5 , GeForce 7600GTS)
All effects at max, and your game seem to be ALIVE , yeah , the graphics
at max change all the way the game looks
It's a TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAME
DEpth of Field,motion BLURR when you turn etc ... etc ...
Even Water at MAX is incredible you can see through it plants etc ...
the movement of see and colors at max are the best water even seen !

The game have animals like birds, crabs ,fishes etc ... behaving in the nature.

For terrain their caves/vertical cliffs , i've seen nothing incredible, just played with the editor to see that terrain raised a lot can keep textures not distorted

For gameplay : it's awesome , powers you can use partially caus cost energy
that have to recharge : cloak mode, power etc .. weapon customizing ..
And all 3D art : weapons,characters,animations, effects , textures etc ...etc ... are a masterpiece when parameters at MAX

Very good cinematics, i was lot more involved than Call OF Duty 4 (even if it will remain excellent) , and finded in it lot more fun caus you are more free

For example i stayed hidden behind a house and use cloack mode to go out and shout with silencer a soldier , and gonna back to wait power recharging to use
cloack mode again.
Another time used Force mode to jump on a roof and hide a soldier to shoot him
backward.

Yeha the game is AS FUN an ENJOYABLE as FAR CRY.
so FUN , IMMERSIVE , INCREDIBLE GRAPHICS (for people that can have the PC),
it's another BIG Big Hit
Fro multiplayer don't know if it will be good ?

Just download the game it hav an editor that you can also install to see
how AAA games editors behave,
in fact in the editor All : AI , Terrain editor,objects etc ... are panels,
no coding
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 12:41

The requisite for playing it at high quality needs a monster pc, I guess.
Even if you buy it now.

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 13:17

To have the real game look : fantastic :
Yeah indeed BIG BIG PC.

But anyone will be able to run it on a low PC in 800*600 and all parameters at low ,even in that case , models characters are great.

But differences from paramters bewteen LOW and MEDIUM is very big , evene for water.So HIGH is even more BIG difference.

Wih the tool editor , hope to see good new maps made by community.
The tools are so powerfull and easy to use !
Even for animals (fish,crabs ...) you have an icon on the map representing tehm and their paths navigation.

For AI you can place hide places spots (for characters to hide),
when they fight they can go to the nearest.
In my mind Unity is the engine with editors even if far from Crysis one
is the ones that works similar : panels and special icons on the level
to visualise paths, lights, sounds ...
Posted By: capanno

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 15:11

I don't get why you made this thread? And its called Cryengine 2, btw.

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 15:42

FOR THE FUN

And for the game editor of Crysis that could give some ideas for 3DGS
perhaps ??

Don't be afraid of AAA Engines threads
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/28/07 18:49

Can you explain how a game engine works, and how game works.

You seem to mix these two

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 00:39

Inestical don't be so so bad with me
Hahahaaa

In fact i've programmed some tools , some years ago , a tool
for visibility culling for levels , another for collisions,
another for rpg elements and ennemy behaviour (machine states) ...
I've programmed pure DirectX 6 some years ago also
For shaders i've done two or three basic ones in assembly language.

So yeah take me for a noob if you want

What count for me is tools and the more possible artist workflow like in
Far Cry or Crysis editors, and an engine that can do next gen graphics.

I'm not engine/tools programmer any more , no more interested in these parts,
no more fun for me.
you i presume it's a passion/pleasure/fun for you to code : ME NO
What counts now for me is a complete as possible next gen engine supporting
lights and shaders , shadows and with easy tools.
Unity engine is a good example : esay script for game behaviour and complete
tools, powerfull engine.

Well this topic is Crysis and it's editor
Any one played with it , or discovered soem 3D tricks
LOD is not really one , and used massively in this game, 3DGS users shoudl use also LOD at maximum

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 05:36

Erm.. as I did, the question was:

What is game engine?
What is game?

You seem to think that every AAA has gametitled game engine.

Crysis != CryEngine
Posted By: adoado

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 11:19

I was wondering - how do they get this:

http://www.incrysis.com/wiki/images/5/56/Subsurfacescattering.jpg

The effect where the palm leaves cast shadows on each other. This can't be precomputed, because they move - wouldn't this be very GPU expensive?
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 11:35

it wouldn't be too hard with a shader, i reckon. backfaces (to the light) treat lighting differently to frontfaces, and the bias of the shadows (i'm assuming they're shadow mapping and not using stencils) would allow the polygons to stay out of their own shadow. if it does use stencils, they'd probably shift the stencil volume prior to projection.

that scene is stunning . of course that's almost entirely thanks to good artwork and good use of LoD (for a screenshot, and i guess on these settings it wouldn't be an in-game problem either). there's no denying that the shaders are definitely good. it's a very good appreciation of real-life visuals -- much of that vegetation (aside from the sub-surf) could look just as good in Doom 3 (tech and hardware), but their (Doom-makers') lack of appreciation of the way light interacts with objects lead to a very plastic appearance anyway.

kudos to the artists and shader programmers. i'd really be keen to see similar screenshots on medium and low settings to compare, coz from the sounds of things it isn't very scalable and perhaps somewhat inconsistent(?).

all in all i think it's the high-res textures and high-poly scenery that's the biggest resource hog.

oh wow... after a second look, i really like the shadows of the mountains cast through the fog. looks good!

julz

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 15:18

First way would be simply taking objects behind the leaf in small distance, blur it with distancefactor and then simply make it appear as shadow/light depending on the effect wanted.

It's not too hard, but the fact is that they indeed are using SSS =P
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 16:06

Quote:

I was wondering - how do they get this:

http://www.incrysis.com/wiki/images/5/56/Subsurfacescattering.jpg

The effect where the palm leaves cast shadows on each other. This can't be precomputed, because they move - wouldn't this be very GPU expensive?

Yes, it is. DirectX 10 is a bit more efficient than DX9, especially with complicated effects like SSS it's a lot faster. DX10 isn't just prettier graphics, the biggest advantage is mostly its speed increase,

Cheers

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/29/07 22:55

there's no reason for the effect as seen there to be expensive. the way i described it would be able to produce exactly that.

it's the SSS on the skin that would be more of a load, which i can imagine would be a fair bit trickier and probably involve comparing backface and frontface depths and normals.

julz

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/30/07 18:26

They use HEAVILY LOD

At distance soldiers are simple animated meshes without shader,
i htink it's only on close that sss shader is used !

Even more ; the action is so intense and fast you don't have time to
look at it , a simplified one could do the job, i'm sure they have
some good optimisations similar to LOD even for shaders

What is obvious is objects like rocks poping up : they could have used progressive transparency like in Oblivion ?
LOD is the key

But i have a very good machine , and it's not sufficient

In fact each time lot more polygons , effects ,shaders are needed to be displayed for next gen games, so each time you must upgrade
hardware caus more power needed even with optimisations.

or you must put parameters all to LOW to have max fluidity like in Crysis

sss for 3DGS anyone tried to do one optimised and fast ?

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/30/07 22:01

Quote:

sss for 3DGS anyone tried to do one optimised and fast ?

Haven't seen one, but would certainly be interested how it's done in real time.

I'm too lazy to go for white papers..
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 00:17

Does anyone have any idea of how they make the trees to be broken when we shoot at them?

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 00:28

I have a fantastic trick for cut trees

When tree is cut , you replace it by one in memory that is the same
but in two meshes cutted at middle.
-a upper tree with palms
-the base tree in the floor

If for example it have been cutted low :
you push the vertex of the cutted region of the base part to the low and you
push also the vertex of upper part to the same low position of cut.
After that just apply physic to the upper part to make it fall down
naturally

Don't know if someone understood, but i'm sure they use this
trick , no processor maths , only a good trick that can work very very well ,
as good as their MASSIVE LOD use and SPRITES

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 04:44

TheExpert - so you are saying to split the mesh in realtime? Or they just make up one tree with several models each with physics applied?

I tried looking into SSS a while ago - from what I *tried* reading it looks complicated, and thats where I left it

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 06:45

expert's idea is to start with one model, and when it gets shot ent_morph into another model which only represents the lower half, and ent_create a model that represents the upper half (immediately, and placed where the old model was so it still looks the same). some vertex adjustments (vec_to_vertex or however it works) to adjust the position where one model starts and the other ends to where it was shot (on a fairly even tree texture the stretching won't be noticed). finally, make the top entity a phent and watch it go.

i have a couple of ideas for SSS (i'm an ambitious one) and plan to do some experiments after i finish school (final exam EVER on this coming monday!!), but i have a lot of other ideas begging to be tried out so we'll see how far that gets.

julz
Posted By: sueds

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 07:10

there is a glsl shader for blender game enginewhich fakes sss. You should take a look at it if you need some ideas

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 20:43

I replayed the game ; and you can cut bended trees in several parts,
no , in fact that's a real optimised function to divide (cut) a mesh
in some others.

Indeed the engine has some cool features after big use of LOD

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 21:38

There is a free SSS Shader on the internet somewhere - SSS for faces. I can't remember where it is exactly, but if you do a search it will come up
Posted By: capanno

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 21:55

You can shoot and break pretty much everything. Nothing is pre broken and everything is done in real time. The SSS effects are incredible. This game is going to rock!

For your enjoyment, I took these screenshots yesterday.

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 22:11

great screenshots not much special about the first one but the others are great. SSS is sadly very subtle, making it difficult to see what it is actually doing most of the time -- in this case the faces look great but the gentle lighting could easily be achieved with a subtle blurry environment map (for the reflecting of the sky's colour) and a very soft 1d sampler for the normal mapping. or the lighting could be done by an environment map as well (independent of the camera's angle and position). a lot of it is a good skin with baked ambient occlusion. the effectiveness of SSS would probably be much more prominent in a scene where the characters are casting shadows.

of course, that doesn't stop it from looking really impressive.

i'd still really like to see some shots on low- and medium-settings.

julz

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 22:31

we should talk and post screenshots of the world editor
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Crysis Engine : - 10/31/07 23:52

--->...

We have three different ways of breaking in the Sandbox.

1. procedural breaking
2. jointed objects
3. pre broken objects

1. Procedural breaking

In this technique we are using direct physicalized render geometry. There are no extra proxys which would make this method very heavy on physic performance. It’s used for glass and trees. We define a subtract object which will be subtracted from the object placed in level. This object is also giving the mapping and material details for what the cut is.

2. Jointed objects

A Jointed Object contains different sub objects which are held together by joints. Joints are helper objects which give strength information for the connection at this point of the object. After breaking a joint you could also define pieces which will displace the old object. You can also joint procedural breaking objects.

3. Pre broken objects

Pre broken objects consist of main part, remain part and pieces. The main part has health. If health is over, the pieces and the remaining part is spawned. This is a more or less historical object class. We try to avoid this kind of breaking object and rebuild it with jointed versions instead.

Vegetation can only include procedural breaking. But there are also two more techniques which allow branches and leaves to bend.

1. touch bending
2. wind bending

1. Touch bending

This is used for vegetation and object collision. It’s a bone which is instanced on all meshes in one object which share the same mapping coordinates. You can use different amount of bones for one object and give them different amount of pivots. When ever something hits one of these bones, the object part will bend.

2. Wind bending

Wind bending is vertex color based. We define different colors for different behaviors. Blue is for up and down, red for side movement and green for overall variation. Later in shader you can say how strong which color should bend. This way you can tell a palm leaf to bend more on the outer side than on the inside.

Not every branch can break. This will happen in 5 years time when hardware has more power. Generally speaking, everything is breakable that we define to be breakable
<---
Posted By: not_me

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/12/09 22:51

I have a Laptop with a geforce GTX260 and a quad core and crysis runs all settings on very high and my pc completely destorys the game... It looks beautiful. alot of the effects can be done in 3dgs. but the sheer number of pixels that crysis pushes is almost impossible to do in 3dgs. The real-time ocean shader is complex...not just a plane with some effects. I could imagine some active terrain deformation to immitate the ocean shader. Ive seen some recreations of the shader but i dont remember where. HDR(not real HDR) is already possible with Shade-c. Motion blur on the other hand i have yet to see much about but im positive it is possible but not in the same fashion that it is implemented in crysis. Detail mapping has been around forever and is possible in 3dgs without really compromising frame rate. Theres a whole number of other effects that go on in crysis that i havent mentioned. alot of them are possible...but all at the same time would take some serious shader optimization.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/13/09 08:12

Some very serious; As far as I know, the CryEngine uses detail normal mapping on every surface, plus more shaders for specified effects; I think the smallest problem are the post effects, the objects shaders are what makes the engine struggle. I think lots of these effects are possible with A7, but not in combination, the sheer number of effects is too high.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/13/09 08:59

If you are really interested, then it is easy to find detailed informations about the render model in Crysis:
http://http.developer.nvidia.com/GPUGems3/gpugems3_ch16.html

It looks like they use deferred rendering: "In CryENGINE 2, we use a deferred rendering approach, by first rendering a z-pass and writing depth into a floating-point texture."

But I also read somewhere else, that they use a combination of deferred and traditional forward rendering. The new Torque3d engine does it in a similar way. I am not sure about Unreal3.

Foxfire is as far as I know the only one working on a similar solution for Gamestudio. The standard way to put just some shaders together will probably be too slow.
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/13/09 09:26

New CryEngine 3 Demo
http://kotaku.com/5335483/new-cryengine-3-demo
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/17/09 20:08

The new one
http://uk.ps3.ign.com/dor/articles/1014415/gc-2009-cry-engine-3-demo/videos/gcom09act_crytekdemo_p1_081709.html;jsessionid=11zw9ysbn3joa
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/17/09 21:45

nice blade, i hadnt seen that one yet.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/17/09 23:06

Yep : texture projection to project static or dynamic fake lights laugh
It was a Doom 3 esential trick also.

When we'll have all that on A7, i hope A8 will be better than this ?
No way , it has to be better!

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/18/09 02:04

that is possible in a7 too, where did you ever get that its not?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/18/09 06:23

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
that is possible in a7 too, where did you ever get that its not?

Probably because he never did see a demo showcasing this.

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/18/09 07:22

they have an example of it on the 3dgs wiki.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Crysis Engine : - 08/18/09 08:10

they have an example of it on the 3dgs wiki.

It must be really well hidden !
© 2024 lite-C Forums