Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds

Posted By: Dan Silverman

Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/11/08 19:20

I thought some of you might find this free tool useful:

http://dryad.stanford.edu/index.php

This is from their web site:

Quote:

Dryad lets you intuitively create beautiful trees for your virtual world or game. In Dryad, you create a tree by visually navigating to it through a design space: the space of all trees. This space has close to a hundred dimensions and Dryad lets you move around it as if it were a city map. To help you find your way, Dryads around the world communicate to share which trees were picked in the past. A collaborative mapping of the tree space emerges, which your Dryad uses to gently steer you towards high-quality finds. We call this collaborative design space exploration.

It's a little slow, but it seems to be pretty functional. I have not exported any of the trees to OBJ yet, but will try to test it out soon.
Posted By: ello

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/11/08 21:01

thank you for sharing that. looks quite interesting, lets see

hm. it crashes here pretty fast when changing some parameters

and the export seems not always very useful , plenty of strange useless triangles are created

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/11/08 21:49

Never crashed for me, but I have not tested the OBJ export yet.

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/11/08 21:56

Just tested the OBJ export. It does fine (at least the OBJ file opens perfectly in my 3D applications). However, the trees are very, very polygon heavy. The one tree I exported was in the range of well over 200,000 polygons. The reason for this was all the leaves! Each leaf was modeled! The trunk and branches were low-poly, so they could be used.
Posted By: ello

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/11/08 22:19

hmm, i got quite a bunch of triangles along the branchs, which where not ment to be leaves.
the crash occures when i try to change the crown shape. however, when i first reduce the number of branches and leaves it works...

if focussing on the trunk/branches it offers some nice possibilities

Posted By: alleen

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/14/08 13:35

unfortunately it doesn't work for me at all *cries*
but i do meet the minimum system requirements...
Posted By: Gandalf

Re: Dryad - Free Tree Creation for Virtual Worlds - 01/16/08 16:42

it doesn't work for me, crash at start
© 2024 lite-C Forums