Embedding 3DGS game in Web page

Posted By: chanwit

Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/22/08 23:05

Hi,

Here's a screenshot of next version of JackStart, the 3DGS web deployment solution. The upcoming version will allow you to embed you 3DGS game into the web page (with Java Applet).

The demo shows that we can successfully run the famous Fite-C (A7) demo in Firefox. However, JackStart will support only A6.60 when released.

http://centillex.com/jack/jackplet.swf

(ps. it a bit looks lag because of recording)

Have funs,

Chanwit
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/22/08 23:25

Wow! How is the engine wrapped and how fast is it? Can it run on arbitrary platforms? Is this going to be free or commercial? Why is this limited to A660? Can I wrap my own engine version into it? What about plugins?

Can you post a "realtime" demo?
Posted By: Nems

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 00:40

Java script error, page not loading for me.

Duhhh! Firefox he said
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 13:13

I'm very much interested in your 3DGS web solution, too!

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 19:01

Hi HeelX,

You've got a big set of questions ;-)

> How is the engine wrapped and how fast is it?
Actually, the game loop is natively run in A6/A7 engine. Then the display is painted on the web page. I/O is just delegated from the applet to the engine.
The embedded version of Car demo is just running fine on my machine (a Centrino notebook, without a superior Gfx accelerator). It's playable out-of-the-box because it uses a joy to control.

> Can it run on arbitrary platforms?
It runs on Windows with JRE installed (the light-weighted version of JRE is about to release, so JackStart is expected to utilize it for speed).

> Is this going to be free or commercial?
It's planned to be a commercial product.

> Why is this limited to A660?
It's just a license issue as I don't own A7, unless Conitec allows me to support it.

> Can I wrap my own engine version into it?
What do you mean by your own version ? What's the different between it and the standard engine?

> What about plugins?
Plugins would run normally, if the plugin folder is set properly, e.g. relatively to the game folder.

> Can you post a "realtime" demo?
Not at this time, sorry. As I said, it's under development. I'll post a realtime demo when it's ready.

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 19:04

Hi 4eyes,

It's also running fine in IE (and other Java compatible browsers) as well. I just said that the example is for Firefox.

Cheers,

Chanwit

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 19:42

Hello, thanks for the answers, but for my taste you hit around the bush.

The question is: how does it work? When the user opens the website, e.g. in firefox, it will probably say that "you have to install a missing plugin, etc.". So, by this, the user clicks yes and then it works instantly?

With "my engine version" I mean the following: if I use e.g. the latest A7 pro version and I want to use it: will your software be able to pack MY executables, the engine DLL and so on into your solution as well as all other stuff (WRS files, other DLL's, etc.)?
Posted By: FBL

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/23/08 22:08

So this means that not just anyone can run it, but still has to have the game and/or the engine installed on his pc?

Anyway, nice work.

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/24/08 02:51

> Hello, thanks for the answers, but for my taste you hit around the bush.

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker.

> The question is: how does it work? When the user opens the website, e.g. in
> firefox, it will probably say that "you have to install a missing plugin, etc.".
> So, by this, the user clicks yes and then it works instantly?

Yes. Like when you're using Java applet. Your game will be wrapped in a .jar file and deployed to the Web server. Users come and click the Web page, the game just runs. That's all.

But If there is no Java plugin on their machines, they will be pointed to where they can download it. After installing plugin, the game runs.

Cheers,

Chanwit

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/24/08 02:54

Hi Firoball,

> So this means that not just anyone can run it, but still has to have the game and/or the engine installed on his pc?

Anyone can run it. The game will be automatically downloaded, extracted and run instantly.

If you want to see the non-embedded version, please visit

http://centillex.com

to see the demo.
Posted By: ISG

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/24/08 05:55

I take it this will work somewhat similar to GarageGames new (about to be released) Web Browser 3D games? Looks very good. Keep up the work, and who knows, maybe Conitec will sponsor what you could possibly be doing for this engine and community.

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/24/08 06:36

Hi ISG,

That for pointing it out. InstantAction of GarageGames looks probably similar to what I'm doing. I don't know yet about the technology behind it. But I think the result is same as mine.

Cheers,

Chanwit
Posted By: immersionfx

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/24/08 20:43

This is amazing! Conitec should definitely look into this!
The car demo runs as good as a standalone app (well, I know it is downloaded locally but, yet, it runs from within a wrapper).

I will definitely buy, once I have a solid business plan.

Will it be able with newer versions of JackStart to run from within the webpage (like Flash) instead of opening an own window?

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/25/08 02:24

Hi immersionfx,

> Will it be able with newer versions of JackStart to run from within the
> webpage (like Flash) instead of opening an own window?

Yep, the new version will support to run your game within the page.
There's screencast demo here: http://centillex.com/jack/jackplet.swf

A bit more to say, the non-embedded version allows you to enable the full-screen mode, while the embedded version runs your game inside the browser (so that you can, e.g, put some ads around).
The different versions serve different purposes.

Cheers,

Chanwit
Posted By: Metal_Man

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/25/08 03:19

does multiplayer work as normal when using this?

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/25/08 05:39

Hi Metal Man

> does multiplayer work as normal when using this?

Never tested. But It (and all plugins) would work normally as the game actually runs in its own process. Just the display is painted into the browser canvas.

Cheers,

Chanwit
Posted By: William

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/26/08 06:34

This sounds interesting, how did you get the games screen to paint into the browser though?
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 01/27/08 00:39

This is very nice!
Keep us up to date with your progress!
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/02/08 16:47

Quote:

Your game will be wrapped in a .jar file and deployed to the Web server

Small question, what sort of files are you wrapping here exactly?

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/02/08 21:45

Hi Joozey,
> what sort of files are you wrapping here exactly?

1. Your game binary (by the normally publishing command),
2. Our game native loader,
3. Our Java game loader

No 1. and 2. they will be packed together.
And with no 3., it make you game possible to be loaded by Java runtime in/via a browser.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/02/08 23:08

Non embedded works very nicely.
Did I miss something or where can I try the embedded version (not the flash applet which shows what should happen)?

Just one thing about security. This tool might be used for executing malware on other people's PCs.... are you going to add any security stuff or does it explicitly only execute Acknex stuff?

Looks very promising.

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/04/08 14:00

Hi Firoball,

>Did I miss something or where can I try the embedded version

The embedded car demo will be published soon ;-)

>Just one thing about security. This tool might be used for executing malware on
>other people's PCs.... are you going to add any security stuff or does it
>explicitly only execute Acknex stuff?

Don't worry. It's been designed to run only 3DGS games, not for general executable.
Posted By: slacker

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/20/08 17:23

Dude...

This is awesome.

Conitec - get this guy an upgrade! Or hold a telathon or something

any idea when you will have a commercial package available?

Nice work - extends the usefulness of A6(7) much!
Posted By: Samb

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/23/08 22:24

will you remake the prices etc.?
because I don't see people here who like to pay for every game they like to "try" to make...
an "unlimited Site Deployment Edition" or something like that would be nice...
or is there a reason WHY you want money for every site/domain?

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 02/27/08 19:36

Hi Samb,

I do have the unlimited license, but it's not shown on the website. Also, we can work out the price if someone, eg. a publisher, like to host games for other developers.

Thannks,

Chanwit
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page *DELETED* - 03/15/08 15:32

Post deleted by testDummy

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 03/15/08 18:05

Hi testDummy,

It seems you didn't read through the post, do you?
If you'd like to see a working demo of the similar technology (the non-embedded version), just go to http://centillex.com and try some of demos there.

It's also fine that you don't like the name Jack, which is J + Ack. ;-)

Thanks,

Chanwit
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 03/16/08 11:14

1. Unattentive.
2. Guilty as charged.
3. Added charge: pointless badgering, baiting, spam-like pseudo-harassment
4. -> 2.
Offal removed.
dropped ref: the I, a blind tool, even Atlas sees more from below
Posted By: jameel27

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 06/06/08 19:18

Any update on this? I need something like this for a webpage I'm working on. Feel like offering any hints. I've seen documentation on how to do this with delta3d engine, but I'm having a hard time converting.
Posted By: Jethro

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 08/04/08 00:43

What if your game has a resource file of say 200MB and the user has slow internet connection, how is content streamed, or does it have to download full resource first before running?

Jethro.

Re: Embedding 3DGS game in Web page - 08/04/08 01:04

Having a resource file of 200 MB is pointless. In fact, the user would be required to download the whole file.

To circumvent this, you would have to download the needed files on demand by yourself. E.g. you could write your own counterparts for ent_create etc.: you first check if the file exists on the harddrive, you load it from there. If not, you load it from the internet first to the harddisc and then you load it from there. This sort of a cache check could be done fast with a fast hash table.

With certain implementations you could also stream audio data instead of downloading it. The same for textures: if you use a procedural texture system, the bandwith used for the texture descriptions is very low. On the clientside you could re-generate it then. If you stay on conventional textures you should use DDS texture for smaller files.

So, you have to make your game load the game content step by step instead of once. The only thing Conitec could add would be streaming of textures, models and animations. Though, I think that this is a too big step and is not intended for A7 and the predicted (!) web-player. If you really need a good streaming technolgy use one of the "higher" class commercial engines like gamebryo or such (if you really intend to make a big game with very much content and potential).
© 2024 lite-C Forums