Caligari bought by Microsoft!

Posted By: mmelo

Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/07/08 23:11

Seems like Caligari was gobbled up by Microsoft

http://forums1.caligari.com/truespace/showthread.php?p=59557#post59557

Wondering what this will mean for gameSpace and trueSpace...
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/08/08 07:43

It means that it will be included in the next Office package as "Microsoft MMORPG"
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/08/08 08:21

Nah. It's just the first step in their bid for global domination. They probably just needed some new paint-ware to redo the Yahoo stuff for their next step.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/08/08 10:22

No. It has to do with MS Maps. Some internet online map where business partners can display their address on a digital map. Maybe they want to add 3d-objects in the future for it or a big community to create 3d objects for one global project.

Truespace has some options to work over internet on the same 3d-project.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/08/08 12:25

Yep, they are helping in maps.live.com
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/09/08 15:09

I have truespace 7.5, and the only think come to me
when I read the notice are the end of caligari are start
never more we hear about they.
If anyone think the direcx exporter goes to work wheel
you only need to think in the vista operanting experiment

I miss you a lot truespace
Posted By: Tiles

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/09/08 18:23

It's too early to say anything. Roman didn't state yet if and how it goes on with the trueSpace line. Fact is that Roman worked since years in the direction of realtime and collab. And being catched by Microsoft here leads in his direction.
Posted By: Alessandro

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/09/08 20:03

It seems really interesting (horrible!) that Microsoft officially "involved" Ms Visual C++ Express with Dark GDK.
It seems M$ found that indie programmaing is a great marketing (for money? for pubblicity?).

Well, what is happening? M$ is becoming the bad monster? The "final boss" in our world?
Posted By: Vadim647

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/09/08 20:45

I can say one thing in this theme - if M$ will do anything with TrueSpace\GameSpace -> thats one thing: Next versions cost will be no cheaper than 200%.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/10/08 16:11

Honestly, it's a pretty cool venture. I never really liked gamespace much... but based on my experience with it, it seems like the right tool for the job.

I really can't say much about any of it (nor do I know a whole lot at this point), but I can tell you that now being a company owned by Microsoft, they now have a lot more possibilities open to them than they ever have had- and that can't be a bad thing.

In any case, I bet the guys at Caligari are very happy about their new benefits and 401ks
Posted By: FBL

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/11/08 01:13

Hey! Even as Microsoft employee you'll have no chance to stop us from complaining!
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/11/08 12:43

Quote:

Hey! Even as Microsoft employee you'll have no chance to stop us from complaining!

Touche!

Alright... then I need to bring out the big guns. (heeeere warez bunny, you hungry? want a treat? human flesh... your favorite!! I've even got some TUSC sauce for them)

Posted By: lionclaws

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/13/08 04:50

Quote:

In any case, I bet the guys at Caligari are very happy about their new benefits and 401ks

That's what it's all about...$$$$$$ and more...$$$$$$$$$$$.I licensed "Gamespace" and frankly,I didn't like it much due to export problems to "Torque/and or 3DGS"...even with the purchase of the so-called plug-ins...the "package including the plugs" just useless to me.So yeah!,Bill Gate can go ahead and take over..."World domination" and what not.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/13/08 09:19

Yes. Gamespace was a flash in the pan. Animation crashed the software often. Export plugin was borrowed from Milkshape with old MDL5 support for Gamestudio. Support is not existant.

But I loved the modelling, the ease of use through the little visual helpers on the grid.
But now I am even faster in Lightwave with keyboard shortcuts. I am happy that I made the move to a better software.
Posted By: MaxF

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/14/08 15:19

Hi

The only reason MS pick up Truespace is because of Google sketchup!

I'm a TS7.5 user and I just hope they keep working on TS problems!
Posted By: bomber

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/16/08 07:03

microsoft will buy everything they will buy, caligari is small compared to yahoo
Posted By: vlau

Re: Caligari bought by Microsoft! - 02/16/08 08:39

Are they going to publish a game development package
like GS but XNA + TS?
© 2024 lite-C Forums