DAVID Laserscanner

Posted By: ChrisB

DAVID Laserscanner - 03/08/08 18:28

http://www.david-laserscanner.com/

With this Software you can easily scan 3d objects with your webcam and a simple line-laser (10-20€).
I didn't test it but it looks cool.
Posted By: capanno

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/09/08 18:11

Interesting...
Posted By: broozar

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/09/08 18:49

yes, really. would be a fun toy, however, i'd like to scan humans, i wonder if you coul use it on an object that big.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/09/08 19:42

all you need to do, is assign the webcam to see the whole body, and then use the pointer far enough so the rays hit correctly.
Posted By: Doug

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 01:14

Note: My experience with laser-scan is that the polygon count on the resulting models are normally way too high to be useful in real-time applications.

But it is a really cool toy. Just make sure to close your eyes when you scan your face.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 03:38

Quote:

Note: My experience with laser-scan is that the polygon count on the resulting models are normally way too high to be useful in real-time applications.

The point of a scan is not to get a polygon-friendly model to begin with. It is to get the 3D geometry into your computer from a real, physical object. Once it is digitized, then the 3D modeler can go about re-creating the topology using the scanned data to constrain the new geometry he is creating. For example, the physical object could be scanned and then brought into a program like Silo or Modo. Then the modeler can use the tools of the 3D app to create new topology on top. Once completed, the scanned model is deleted, leaving the lower polygon model in its place.

Often times this can result in a complex model being created very quickly. Some studios have a clay model artist that will model their characters and monsters, etc, and then they will scan them in and let the 3D modelers create new geometry to make the models friendly for real-time 3D content.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 07:46

I thought for a second someone was making a joke by mispelling my last name....
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 19:57

Haha! I thought so too XD.
Posted By: Ichiro

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 20:47

I'd like to petition that David Lancaster change his name, as "David Laserscanner" is a great one. I, in turn, will change my name to "Ichiro Awesome Space Gravity Destroyer." I recommend you all do similar.

Anyway, I'm downloading their angel model and giving that a look; thanks for posting the link!
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/10/08 21:54

Quote:

I'm downloading their angel model and giving that a look;

That's a good idea! I did that now, import to blender, didn't see anything but the specs, export to MED, didn't see anything but the specs: vertex count and such!

It is a fascinating tool! I looked at all the screens, but it won't help me anything in development... keeping invisible in my applications!
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/11/08 08:19

Quote:

I thought for a second someone was making a joke by mispelling my last name....

I thought the same )
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: DAVID Laserscanner - 03/15/08 08:06

This is one of the coolest things I've ever seen. Definately going out tomorrow to buy a laser pointer. Thnx for the link.

Btw , this is the one I had seen some time ago , but was too expensive to even consider buying.
https://www.nextengine.com/indexSecure.htm

© 2024 lite-C Forums