Other game development tools ?

Posted By: theDust

Other game development tools ? - 03/15/08 12:04

Wich (all in-one) game development tools like gamestudio are recommend, powerfull, easy to use and has an active comunity ?
Posted By: dblade

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/15/08 13:48

There is a great Site called "Klick3d". It may not include the newest stuff (last update was January 2007) but you can find an interessting List. -> Klick3d

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 16:16

Nice list, thx
Hmmm...alternatives, like gamestudio are rare. But one thing i don't understand. What are the differents between engins( cry-engine, c4....) and gamstudio ? What engins don't have in comparison to gamstudio ?
Posted By: broozar

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 18:05

ShiVa/Ston3D always worth a look. get your completely free and fully functional PLE today and feel free to play around with it. if you want to publish, it's yours for 199€, so well within the 3dgs price range.

plus, it's multiplatform, develop games for windows, mac, and soon linux and even iPhone in one go, no code customisation needed.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 21:54

Hmmm, engins are powerfull but is very difficult too make a game. Softwares like gamestudio are not so complex but is much easier to program a game. Is this right ?

@broozar
This shiva is a engine or a gamemaker like gamnestudio?
Posted By: BigDaz

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 22:46

GameCore and DX Studio are well worth a look. They don't come with a modeller program but with free modeller like Modtool or Blender you don't really need one.

www.gamecore.ca
www.dxstudio.com

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 23:00

ShiVa is an AllInOne-solution like gamestudio, but it has no model editor, so you are bound to external model editors that can export to fbx or collada. chek tehir wiki for compatibility.

@daz: gamecore is about to release v2, i strongly recommend to wait for v2 as it has a whole new bunch of stunning features. and if you're a lightwave user, gameCore (formerly beyond virtual) is THE way to go, as it imports lwo directly.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/16/08 23:53

Ok, ShiVa seems not so easy to me and i don't have found any (free and optimally german) tutorials. It's only my first impression or is gamestudio realy realy easy to use in comparison to other software like Shiva ? I must say that i'm still a beginner in programming/game-designing.
Posted By: Nems

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/17/08 01:27

For me, GameStudio is the easiest to learn and develop from as programming does not come natural to me .
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/17/08 12:22

Any recomendations on modelling software??

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/17/08 13:17

depends on your budget. best tools for free are blender and wings3d, lowcost milkshape and fragmotion (around $30), semi-pro (up to $1000) cinema 4d, lightwave 3d, pro 3ds max and maya.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/17/08 19:50

Quote:

@daz: gamecore is about to release v2, i strongly recommend to wait for v2 as it has a whole new bunch of stunning features. and if you're a lightwave user, gameCore (formerly beyond virtual) is THE way to go, as it imports lwo directly.

If you buy it now you get a free upgrade. I'm not sure how much it'll be after release but presumably it'll cost more.

For modelling software I'd definately recommend Modtool from Softimage. It's free for non-commecial use. Or XSI, it's big brother which is $500.

http://www.softimage.com/products/modtool/
http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/17/08 20:06

Quote:

If you buy it now you get a free upgrade. I'm not sure how much it'll be after release but presumably it'll cost more.

good hint.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 10:01

hey, it's the final week of BV's buy-bv-1.5-and-getgameCore2-for-free sale! don't miss it!
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 11:12

GameCore Pricing Announced!

http://www.gamecore.ca/blog/2008/03/18/gamecore-pricing-announced/

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 12:24

Hmmm...this GameCore looks very interesting. But it's a all-in-one solution or a engine ?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 12:35

it's an engine, an editor for levels, a publishing solution, pretty much what 3dgs is, without med. you can use the ms3d, fbx, lwo/lws and max/maya ports instead which is a great deal.

check machinery_frank's latest images, most of the realtime pics are rendered in gc2 alpha.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 12:36

Features

http://www.gamecore.ca/blog/features/
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 12:48

The new feature list looks interesting, if I have old BV license, how much is the upgrade?

And compare GC script and lite-C, which one execute faster?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/18/08 13:24

The Upgrade from BV 1.1 Indie to Gamecore 2 Indie is free.
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/19/08 11:02

The BV team have lost my trust (i was there from day one)... i'm a little skeptical now , but lets see what happens with GameCore2, i really hope for the best!

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/19/08 23:15

btw, is the team the same?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 09:15

Quote:

btw, is the team the same?

as far as i know

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 09:42

Quote:

The BV team have lost my trust (i was there from day one)... i'm a little skeptical now , but lets see what happens with GameCore2, i really hope for the best!

I think you're right to be skeptical. Especially since the feature list for GameCore is practically identical to BV. Hopefully GameCore will be what BV should have been first time around. I'm pretty optimistic.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 12:30

Quote:

Quote:

I think you're right to be skeptical. Especially since the feature list for GameCore is practically identical to BV. Hopefully GameCore will be what BV should have been first time around. I'm pretty optimistic.

I hope that GameCore is more than a rebranding and a new PR strategy.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 14:24

Hmmm....this DXStudio is amazing It's powerfuller then 3d Gamestudio and easy to use. Any other opinion about this software ? Shiva is too complex for me for now...and for GameCore i don't have found any free demo or trialversion.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 17:10

Quote:

I hope that GameCore is more than a rebranding and a new PR strategy.

the screenshots iv'e seen fronm the alpha are amazing. bv seems to have come quite a way. my biggest concern is scripting and stability atm, not graphics.
Posted By: Kasey_Dee

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 22:12

I do not think that Game Core supports lws for animations. I was never able to get it to work.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 22:34

>The BV team have lost my trust

What happened?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/20/08 22:55

they didn't publish updates or maintained their website for quite some time. some already thought it would disappear in near future. but now they're back with a new name, amazing features and a straight time table.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/21/08 10:58

The GameCore Alpha looks indeed impressive. The shaders are also very good. They use conditional statements to render only what is really needed. So it will render faster with 1 or 2 dynamic light but you can use up to 7 of them per model. I saw even scenes with 13 visible dynamic lights. This works if your scene is splitted into several models.

The feature-set is very good. There is AI, physics, all the modern rendering options available. You can tweak your scene-management with hand-made low-poly occlusion models.

And they try to do something that Conitec also does: They deliver lots of templates for several games (FPS, racing, chess, multiplayer and more).
They said that they want to have a complete game template including everything you need for a game with GUI, loading, saving, cameras, moving and so on.

The reason why I still wait to buy a license is: I am afraid about documentation. They claim to have 700 script functions and the feature-set is great. But this needs tons of docu and examples. The existing old documenation is very limited and they did not reply to my email asking for progress on docu.
The best AI will not help me if I dont know how to use it.

So I will wait until April. They claim to publish it then. I am sure with good documentation this will become the best prototyping and beginner tool for game-making.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/21/08 11:29

I hope that they make a demo of GameCore....and in my opinion the documentation is one of the most important things off any software. Is april a sure release date ?
Posted By: Tiles

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/21/08 11:54

Is

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/28/08 15:47

Ok, GameCore is released i think (or only the alpha ?). But i don't see any demo

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/28/08 16:02

it's still alpha and in testing. if you have a valid 1.1 license, you can already play with alpha2.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/29/08 00:18

Quote:

The reason why I still wait to buy a license is: I am afraid about documentation. They claim to have 700 script functions and the feature-set is great.

As far as I can remember the main issue with B.V. were bugs rather than documentation
I did not purchase B.V. because I was scared of some reviews
Maybe some users were a little bit exagerating
However I had been really impressed by B.V. game engine architecture
The only one which can match B.V. is DXSTUDIO as far as the workflow is concerned
However stsbility is by far the most important feature for me
DXSTUDIO seems to be quite slow and I have had some problems to import animations
For the time being I stick to 3d studio

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/29/08 12:18

I heard they have a new scripting pdf documentation. It has about 100 pages. But for 700 script functions it means that every command is written on only 1/7 page. So I am sure they miss examples, explanations and more. It is just a simple mentioning of functions with a short sentence about their intention. This is by far not enough to understand an engine conception.

Asking for every problem in a forum might be a new habit but it is not effective and leads to very long development times because of waiting, reading forums and such

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/29/08 12:20

Yes, DXStudio seems to be very slow....and the fact that no one(the whole community) has built real game is not realy positive.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 03/29/08 15:50

Did you make actual comparison test dxstudio \ 3dgs as far as speed is concerned or is it just a gut feeling, same as in my case ?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/02/08 20:56

I have the feeling that it's slow, because a little demo ("Hut of the Dead") takes many time to load.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 08:32

gameCore2 Feature list has been published:

[homepage quote]----------------------------------------------------------------

Visuals

1. DirectX9 renderer
2. 100% shader-driven renderer and animation pipeline. All transformations, lighting & animation is done on the GPU, not CPU.
3. default shader library including of thousands of different shaders (literally), supporting shader 2.0 and up.
4. Unified Per-Pixel Lighting
5. Shadow Mapping (realtime soft shadows)
6. Planar Reflection Mapping, Cube Mapping, Normal / Specular / Detail mapping and many other combinations of shaders
7. The new shader-based renderer adds a HUGE amount of functionality / featureset to the engine. It’s almost impossible to list all of the cool new toys that are available to you ;}

Tools / Editor

1. Completely revamped interface (much better layout)
2. New Object manipulation ‘Widget’ for moving / rotating objects (similar to what you see in 3ds max, maya etc)
3. Integrated Object Properties Editor (OPR) - no more editing endless text files ;}
4. TTF Font Generation
5. Export to Obj - select any objects in the editor and export them as a unified Obj model for editing in your favorite modeling package (including terrains & roads).
6. Complete set of Object Alignment tools, including ’stacking’ (alignment of multiple objects at once, with ‘jitter’ and/or ‘random spin’ allowing a bit of randomness into the alignment).
7. Automatic Sky Generation - simply apply a texture ;}
8. Basically all the stuff that used to require a seperate application or tools or utility has been integrated into the Editor. GameCore is a TRUE ‘Integrated Development Environment’ for Games. We feel it is a revolution in how games are created, a true paradigm shift.

Physics

1. Realtime Physics Editor - edit your collision & physics bodies in realtime
2. Test Physics in the Editor without having to run the game!
3. Rewritten character / vehicle scripts for much more stable physics interactions
4. Joints can be connected across multiple objects (truck / trailer, etc)

Materials / Surfaces

1. Integrated Surface / Material editor allows you to edit / replace and otherwise modify any object’s textures and materials (similar to what the old BV1.1 object viewer did, only built right into the editor)

Procedural Geometry

1. Procedural Geometry (roads) system updated to support banking of roads.
2. GUI editor for Road Connectors (roads snap to these), for intersections etc
3. Automatic generation of Paths for Road objects

Pathfinding

1. GUI Path editing. Paths are object-specific, so you can edit a single template and ’snap’ them together to build your paths.

Cinematics

1. Redesigned Cinematic panel provides a much better system for creating cinematic flythroughs and machinima.

Other Functionality

1. JPEG screenshot export
2. MPEG Movie Capture - export MPEG movies of gameplay!
3. Obj model export

I’m sure to be missing any number of things, but the simple answer to the ‘what has changed’ question is that so much has changed, it’s pretty much a new engine. The tools may feel similar and much remains the same (ie your old projects port seamlessly), but the end result is a completely different engine, feature-wise and capability-wise.

Plus all of the new Scripting Functionality that has been Added (which i’ll cover in a later post)…

[quote ends]--------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 08:34

Link?
Posted By: ello

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 09:55

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Link?

google?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 09:57

well, the homepage is for testers/old BV licensees only, but you can access the temporary blog http://www.gamecore.ca/blog/ and select the latest entry.

two small demos are already up, but they show nothing of these features, in fact, they feel almost like the old BV. but if you would judge 3dgs by its demos, you would draw wrong conclusions as well. so let's wait until the real site goes online.
Posted By: Nexus_1944

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 09:59

http://www.gamecore.ca/

here shots from my MP_demo

Christian_Ger

Posted By: Nems

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 10:41

Looks great \:\)

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 10:42

uuuh.. what does that nuclear pwer station remind me of... if i only knew... :P

yeah this looks indeed incredible. i was referring to to FPS, CHESS and RACING demo which aren't pretty after all. but these shots kick ass.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 15:42

it does not look great or incredible! look at that idiotic reflection of the wall. this is something so damn annoying i cannot look at it anymore \:D

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 15:47

I can't wait for the real website.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 15:52

It has pros and cons. The power plant looks good. The reflection shader is broken, and the ground is lacking shadows from the trees and the bridge. I guess with some more work put in it it will be fine.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 16:44

ello, all you can say about these screens is "the reflection shader isn't accurate"?
Posted By: Slin

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/04/08 23:21

I think those shots are showing some nice artwork and good designskills but other than that the first thing I noticed was the water and a bit later the lack of shadows for a cuple of objects.
Is the fences shadow realtimeshadowmapping? At least its resolution is VERY low...
But hey, nice screenshots \:\)
Posted By: Spirit

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/05/08 06:56

I have to agree, more work is necessary on this level and then it could look great. The lack of shadows on the floor is a frequent mistake, you also see this in Gamestudio levels a lot. It spoils the otherwise good artwork of the buildings.
Posted By: Orange Brat

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/05/08 14:08

@Nexus: The criticisms above are valid; however those are still some of the best, if not the best, looking levels I've seen showcased on this forum.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/05/08 22:12

That's the problem nowadays, nobody accepts criticism for what it is anymore... I think the shots look great, but they are flawed at the same time.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/06/08 08:47

Originally Posted By: broozar
ello, all you can say about these screens is "the reflection shader isn't accurate"?

of course, since the rest is artwork which would work and look good everywhere

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/06/08 09:36

Please keep in mind that the last images are made by one single person (Christian) as a side work
while making a new model package. GC is only the tool he had chosen to show his work in real-time.

But I can assure you that GC can do both: apply static shadow-maps as well as use real-time shadows
(stencils and/or soft-shadows via shaders). So if you want, then you can do an overdose on shadows
but you don't have to if you want big amount of fps.
And all the shadowing can happen with normal-mapping or other shaders on textures (yes, even the static shadows).

It is up to you.

By the way: I like the shots and I barely see so nice real-time level design from single persons in the
game forums. Christian is talented without any questions.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/15/08 22:04

There now is a video from Christian_GER's scene:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTxFzOijj3U&fmt=18

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/16/08 07:24

this is so stalker \:D really cool.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 04/17/08 11:26

I could play a early version of this level. It was not perfect... but a lot of fun.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 05/15/08 17:15

gameCore 2 update: Alpha 4 is uploading now.

Here are the release notes from the build.

NOTE: This version of GameCore will require re-activation of the Alpha. You will need to re-enter your old BV 1.1 serial key at the activation prompt in order to activate the software. You DO NOT need to re-purchase the software from the GameCore Alpha store, simply re-enter your old BV 1.1 serial key in order to re-activate the Alpha.

-------------
Version: v2.0 Professional Alpha 4
---------------------------------
- ShowWideScreen() functions work again
-- forces the viewport into 16:9 mode (useful for cinematics etc)
- Realtime Cubic Environment Maps fixed
- removed run game as fullscreen option from editor
-- directx9 forces us to reload the entire game if we do this so it's just not a good idea
- added 'export as single file' option for game export
-- packs the game data and executable into a single file
- streamlined game data export
-- only 2 files exported now
-- instead of the exe & 'gamedata.dat' being exported, it exports 'projectname.exe' and 'projectname.dat'
- bvo object cache files optimized considerably to streamline exported game file size
- optimized texture cache support added (bvj files) reduces game size considerably.
- re-added depreciated 'SetTexture()' function to improve BV 1.1 backwards compatibility
-- use SetDiffuseMap() readded for additional backwards compatibility with older scripts
- displacement mapping support
-- displacement map needs to be added as the 'alpha' channel of a normal map. Adjust the 'displacement value'
-- occlusion maps can be also added to enhance the displacement appearance.
--- add as a detail map with blend mode 'multiply' and adjust
- new Sprite class exposed in script
- new FX management functions (new FXObject class) allows script-based modifications of FX.
- bug fixes from forum / community
- new integrated Object Viewer with complete support for surface editing / animation viewing
-- editor can be switched between two modes 'object mode' and 'game editor' mode.
-- select an object in the world and click 'open in object viewer' button to jump to object viewer mode

Re: Other game development tools ? - 05/16/08 22:03

Is Gamecore 2 still using Angel script same as B.V. ?

Re: Other game development tools ? - 05/17/08 10:20

Yes. It is told to be compatible to the previous BV projects.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 06/25/08 07:19

GameCore Beta is coming. read about the various improvements and cool new features on the official dev blog i linked below.

http://www.gamecore.ca/blog/2008/06/23/gamecore-beta-public-launch-updates/

1) Integrated / updated FX Editor
2) Integrated Menu Editor
3) New streaming texture management system
4) statistics in the editor
5) profiling in the editor
6) surface layers
7) optimizations, optimizations, optimizations
8) new TreeView enabled listbox
9) Completely redone Store / Website

Re: Other game development tools ? - 06/25/08 12:01

Sounds interesting. Also the Lightwave-Connection is a real time saver.

But it seems there is a problem with timing. I played this level ( the first video... http://www.gamecore.ca/blog/video-gallery/ ).

Sometimes movement and rotation of the camera is slow, normal, slow, fast, slow, normal... and so on.
Usually movement and rotation should be FPS-independent.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 06/25/08 19:10

sounds like a scripting/programming problem, not an engine problem.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/04/08 17:56

Hmmm....the website says :
"GameCore Beta will begin July 4th 2008."
So far, i see any beta frown Ohhh, I'm so excited laugh

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/04/08 18:14

//well, the website exactly says,

A era ends, another begins

We have reached the end of the GameCore Alpha testing period. What does this mean? Well, for starters, it means that we have temporarily closed the Alpha testing site for all logins. This is required so we can rearrange a few things and take the wrapping off the new site & framework.

If you have been involved in the Alpha test, don’t worry - all of your accounts and logins are still valid - we just needed to close the doors for a moment to get a few things polished prior to launch.

Launch you say?

Yes, the next phase of GameCore’s evolution is to open the doors to the general public and let everyone in on the fun. We will be launching the new site, store & gamecore Beta all at the same time. This should be interesting (eek), but if all goes according to plan, later this week, everyone will have access to the next generation in game development - GameCore!

Stay tuned for more details as we get closer to the Launch.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/05/08 07:07

Its a bunch of PR, i hope the engine is on par this time around

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/07/08 19:30

Here the news :

"
Oh the joy of release day

Ok, we missed our internal date of July 4th. Was hoping to have a nice present for the american’s in the crowd, but alas, it was not to be. Our goal with the next release is to throw it out to the masses - yes, the GameCore Beta will be our official ‘unveiling’, both of the new engine and the new community site that we’ve been developing. But, as with any project of this size, there are always a billion things that you want to get finished before things get exposed to the public scrutiny that is the internet.

At this point, we are down to the nitty-gritty. Technology (both for the site & engine release) is good to go. At this point it’s down to a crapload of writing, for documentation and marketing materials for the site. The ‘Beta’ part about the release is going to mostly be the lack of documentation about the new features. We try to make our software as self-documenting as possible, but it’s still a very crucial component of the big picture.

But, the world can’t wait forever, so tomorrow is the big day. One final pass on the engine to fix a few known issues, and a mad rush of writing for the site, and we will be live, ready or not (here it comes!)

Stay tuned for more info.

"

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/08/08 07:12

"...ready or not (here it comes!)"

This is great at the one hand but dangerous at the other. They make an interim solution in terms of documentation, performance and stability. And as many of you know, such interim solutions meant to be temporarily can last forever (like they did in the last BV version).

I am not sure if this is the right attitude for software engineering and development. And there is a reason why the first comment to this announcement is:
"Get it right, don’t rush it folks, I certainly do not mind. Those that are eager, please be patient, this crew does a great job."

But lets see what happens this time.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/08/08 08:36

Jepp, lets hope that all goes right.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/09/08 11:01

And another missed date...

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/09/08 20:53

The last news :

------
Release dates are evil

The last 10% of any project takes as long as the first 90%. This is pretty much true about any project, and unfortunately, my estimate that we’d be ready for earlier this week got blown out of the water. There are a couple of reasons why we are delaying things, but the biggest is simply that this will also be the first ‘public’ version of GameCore, and we want everything to go smoothly for the release.

Even with the extra days of development / polish, we will still be woefully unprepared I’m sure - documentation is a nightmare as always - and trying to document software that does as much as GameCore does is an extremely factor of difficulty to the task.

So, we are hoping for later this week, but at this point I’m going to stop (again) mentioning release dates and simply go with the ‘iD’ method - it will be done when it’s done. Which will be soon…ish…
-------

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/09/08 22:02

Stability wise and feature wise I'm pretty happy with GameCore as it is, it's the documentation that's the important bit so I hope it's worth waiting for.

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/22/08 22:58

And we are waiting and waiting and waiting.....they don't rush it.
Posted By: Nexus_1944

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/23/08 14:06

i have spoken with mike from GC team, he write me over MSN

MIKE: there's a bunch of stuff broken at the moment, it won't be ready to go until tomorrow (21.juni) unfortunately. we've redone the launcher and some other stuff but it's not finished quite yet.

he say for 2 days beta starts, but nothing, is very unprofessionel, no infos on blogsite or launch the old forum.

i had see new shots from the beta, realy nice shots and features.

Christian_Ger

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/23/08 22:31

The website (only the website) is online !

Re: Other game development tools ? - 07/25/08 14:38

Ok, the Beta is now also online. But they haven't made a trial version jet....
© 2024 lite-C Forums