blender 2.46 release today!

Posted By: ventilator

blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 04:56

today blender 2.46 will be released. the downloads aren't ready yet but here you can read about the new features in the meantime:

http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-246/

<edit> the downloads are available now: http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ </edit>
Posted By: Tiles

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 07:17

They still forgot to implement a human UI ... whistle

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 07:43

this discussion again... crazy compared to truespace's gui the blender one is pure bliss. :p
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 08:03

i agree, blenders gui is so natural feeling once you get the basic concept.
Posted By: broozar

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 08:14

too true laugh i just wanna know why it slows down my system so much if i have directories with hundreds of files listed in blender's file explorer... it becomes unusuable. and UV editing has become really awkward after 2.4something (2.42?)

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 09:20

really? i love there uv mapping setup, also i wonder what your issue is with the directories, since i dont seem to have taht issue... i know you use some nontypical (if i remember right) os's i wonder if that has something to do with it.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 09:28

well, that problem only occurs on winXP, not on any linux distro i have installed laugh i guess it's my AMD dual core, it likes to drive me crazy from time to time. however, it's only on winXP.
Posted By: Toast

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 09:44

Was the UI update done in the meantime? Last time I checked I hesitated learning it because I was told the next release would change some things on the UI - so I decided to wait until that point...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 10:03

if you have a slowdown problem you should file a bug report.

uv mapping is totally awesome now in 2.46. it's an area where blender trumps most other applications.

2.50 will be the event system refactoring release which will make everything more customizable. this will also make it easier for the developers to work out some inconsistencies and problem areas in the user interface but altogether there probably won't change that much on the surface. blender will still be blender.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 10:38

Thanks for this link.

I am amazed about the features. There are some features that I even miss in commercial tools. At my mind Blender will become a good alternative for outsourcing some tasks.

But if I have to work fast on a huge amount of models I will stick to Lightwave. The reason is simple: Speed. Even opening a file takes much longer in Blender. I cannot copy the address from clipboard and clicking though the tree is a nighmare there. Some other tasks also take a few steps more.

I have to check the im- and export again. I read that Collada still cannot save animations. So the only way is FBX to transfer animations. I hope it works well.
I will give it another try when I start to create my next character.

Regards

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 11:07

you can copy and paste addresses in the directory trees to change folders. Im not sure if its always been like that, maybe back when you tried it might have been different but it works for me.

edit:
@ventilator

do you know when a public download will be available?

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 11:12

OK thanks. I will check that out with the new release.

(I did not mean copy and paste within Blender, I mean between Blender and Windows explorer)

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 11:24

yeah, you can copy an address from windows explorer (lets say the address bar) and paste it into the directory field in blender. im not sure you can do vice versa, but then again, i've never needed to for anything.
Posted By: Quad

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 15:57

public download is currently available in thier download page.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/19/08 21:08

ooh excited to see that you can now directly edit uv maps while still in edit mode. also the inclusion of tangent space normal mapping is nice.
Posted By: Mondivirtuali

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/20/08 08:22

Holy crap! Look awesome

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 03:12

well looks like they added uv map editting in the edit window, but fully took out the old uv editing thing which removes many feature i used to use.... it sux.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 03:27

which features got removed? as far as i know (but the blender server seems to be down currently so i can't look it up) all uv editing features are still there but accessing them has changed a bit for some because of keyboard shortcut clashes with edit mode.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 04:02

for instance, i could press ctrl e after selecting some faces, and instead of marking all edges , it would mark only the edges surrounding that patch.

conversely if i select a face, in face mode i could press ctrl l and select all faces within the marked seams.

I cant for the life of me find shortcut keys for those, or even a way to manually find a button for it.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 04:14

how about ctrl-e "region to loop" and ctrl-e "loop to region"?

ctrl-l is "select all linked geometry" in blender. i think in the uv-editor it still can achieve what you want since seams will also be borders there.

but i am not sure if that's what you meant and it can't be looked up at the moment. you could also ask on http://blenderartists.org/forum/.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 05:29

yeah, i already posted on blenderartists. as far as the other thing i was talking about, i used to constantly use the ctrl-l in uv editor to select the actual polygons, since in some situations its a very effective way to get a certain set of polyes, as far as loop to region isnt quite what im looking for.

I might just keep a copy of 2.45 installed.... idk, i just wish they had allowed uv editing in edit, but kept uv face mode as well.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 09:58

hey all i love blender but since i got a new computer (and no longer have my old one) i've been unable to use it because none of the buttons work!

when i click on a button in blender (2.45 or 2.46, don't have older versions) it first appears to do nothing. but when i move the mouse away from where the pop-up menu would be, i see a one-frame flicker of the menu that should've been there before it disappears. if i try again, but instead of moving the mouse away i click where the menu SHOULD be, it knows what i clicked on and will perform that action. but i don't know what i clicked on. and i'd like to see it before it do it.

i hope this is clear.

my pc's an
intel pentium D 3.00GHz x two,
1.00GB of RAM,
Windows XP SP2, all latest updates,
with a rather nice leadtek GeForce 9600GT 512MB extreme, with presumably decent drivers (i last updated a month ago, checking now for more)

julz

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 10:17

sounds like some opengl issue but you should post this on their forum and if no one can help you there then i would file a bug report.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/21/08 18:00

awesome! it looks fantastic-- especially the great fur shader, i'm so impressed!\

still i wish it had a GUI that made sense for those of us comin' from Maya/XSI/Truespace etc.. I want to blendlieve.. considering how old and powerful it is, though, I'm shocked to learn that the mesh deform/lattice is a new feature.. and i hope it's not as crashy as the earlier version..

I can't complain about the price!
go blender!

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/22/08 02:54

i also came from maya and blender's gui made sense for me after a few days. a lot more sense than xsi for example. this whole gui thing is a bit subjective. some people seem to have problems with it, some not.

blender is more stable for me than most other 3d applications i have used. my last crash happened a few weeks ago and after i have reported it i could download a fixed svn version a couple of hours later.

here is a blender timelapse video i just came across:

i think this will be a training dvd.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/22/08 09:11

shocked

so cool

julz

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/22/08 09:12

holy crap! :P
beautiful work. I wonder who made it, if they are active on blender artists, since it seems like a lot of the users on there are way more inexperienced than that.... hmmm.
Posted By: Quad

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/22/08 14:06

shocked

holy crap! it is awesome!
Posted By: ello

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/24/08 20:53

i am having a problem. because i am not used to blender i dont have a clue ablut the following script error:
Quote:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<string>", line 676, in <module>
NameError: name 'save_obj' is not defined

i was trying this tutorial: http://www.jan-wesbuer.de/ressourcen/tuts/Blender2Cinem4d-Fluid.pdf

and using the export script as described there: http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread?t=55379

anyone?

ok. got the solution. cool, the script mentioned there is not needed smile
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 05/25/08 20:06

Quote:
i think this will be a training dvd.
I think that would be a good training dvd, but hopefully it will be a series of dvd's because there is a lot of information which is covered if you take a character from base mesh to rendered movie like that. But I would be interested in seeing that one.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 06/14/08 22:04

there are more details about this training dvd now:
http://www.blender3d.org/e-shop/product_info.php?products_id=105

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/01/08 10:44

by the way, the blender training dvds are licensed under creative commons so you can also download them for free. you will find a torrent for the previous one about rigging and animating with google.

if you like blender you should consider to buy it though. smile the revenues will be used for future open projects and also for full time coders i think...

http://vimeo.com/1221926
and here is a nice sculpting time lapse video which could be interesting for people who haven't tried or seen sculpting in blender yet.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/01/08 17:58

Here is a low poly head displayed with real-time normal mapping directly in Blender:

http://vimeo.com/1226893

Great stuff.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 05:05

really interesting stuff.

what hotkey can i use to get into sculpt mode? the UI is still being dumb for me.

neither the blender bug-tracker nor nvidia are being very helpful at the moment.

julz
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 10:57

Originally Posted By: JulzMighty
what hotkey can i use to get into sculpt mode? the UI is still being dumb for me.

julz

Dunno will this work for you if the UI is totally messed up, but anyway...

To use the multires, go to the Editing (F9) widget in the buttons window -> Click Multires -> Add as many levels as you like -> Go to a 3d view and change the mode to Sculpt Mode.

That should enable you to play around a bit wink. You'll notice that in the Sculpt Mode, some new widgets will appear in the multires section. You can control the brush from there.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 11:30

how do you rotate the camera in sculpt mode?
Posted By: Poison

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 12:01

mouse middle

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 12:12

thanks anyway but the problem is getting into sculpt mode. i need a keyboard shortcut. or i guess i could estimate where it is: most drop-down menus are invisible but can still be clicked, but it's a hassle and i would really like a hotkey.

@ello: i use alt+left-click+move-the-mouse

julz

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 12:12

&#2350;&#2354;, so i have to configure the wacom specially for blender...

Quote:
i use alt+left-click+move-the-mouse

that doesnt work with the pen, dunno why

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 12:31

works with my pen. that's weird. oh wait, pull down the top bar (user preferences and stuff like that; View & Controls) and make sure "Emulate 3 Button Mouse" is activated.

while we're at it, is there a short-cut way for me to make a new cube? or a new plane? some way for me to make a new object? this whole invisible-menu thing is really annoying me.

I managed to fumble my way into sculpt mode, make a head, and now i want to retopo it but i can't make a new object to retopo with. any ideas would be much appreciated.

nvidia reckons they've elevated my issue to level 2 or something. that was at least 2 weaks ago.

julz

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/02/08 12:35

thanks, that emulate 3 buttom thing did it!

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/29/08 05:28

the creature factory training dvd is available as a torrent now.

http://www.blenderart.org/issues/
...and the latest blenderart magazine contains some helpful information about light map baking. light mapped models can be directly exported to the 7.10 engine with my level exporter.

(you could try to use an apricot build because it has shader support in the viewports which makes it easier to preview the light maps together with the textures directly in blender.)

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/29/08 05:51

Thanks for the information. This sounds very helpful.
Posted By: Fenriswolf

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/29/08 14:33

Today a gameplay video of Apricot has been released, too.
Check it out, its nice. : )
However, all the planned special effects are not implemented yet.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/30/08 00:26

wow. really cool.

julz
Posted By: gri

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 07/30/08 09:29

What a funny scene
as "the thing" carries the sheep and threw it into the water.

I did need a moment to calm down.

gri
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 09/14/08 21:34

Gameplay windows demo of the Crystal Space version of Apricot!

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 09/15/08 09:01

Originally Posted By: Pappenheimer
Gameplay windows demo of the Crystal Space version of Apricot!

I just checked the technical demo. It looks nice and works well. Only the rendering is rather slow.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 09/15/08 12:32

für alle deutschen: die aktuelle c't hat ein nettes tutorial zum modeln in blender an bord.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 09/15/08 22:37

Wow, nice gameplay as well. smile Looking forward to that project.

Does anybody know if it, like most Blender things, is going to be free? smile

Cheers

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 09/15/08 22:42

yes, its not only free, but open source.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 10/28/08 01:25

http://vimeo.com/1221926

Does anyone know what I have to do that the sculpting mode work?
increase the multires and 'drawing' on the mesh with the LMB doesn't result in anything! There must be a special trick. And I don't see that I do anything different to the explanations and videos that I found. Thanks!

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 10/28/08 04:29

you have to switch from object mode to sculpt mode.

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 10/28/08 11:08

I actually did. The reason must another one.

What I did in detail:
- I tried it with different versions of blender on a Windows XP machine
- I chose sculpt mode
- I chose different sculpt tools like draw, pinch, grab
- I changed the values of strength and size
- I tried it with the default cube, with multires set to different levels
- I tried it with an imported obj file with different settings of level of multires

I hope it is something obvious - that I certainly never forget when someone points it out once...

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 10/29/08 18:26

The sculpt mode ( the feature that I really need) made my pc crhashed.
AppName: blender.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: atioglxx.dll
ModVer: 6.14.10.7873 Offset: 0046b200

I am looking for the previous version but I can't find it

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 10/29/08 19:23

Shxx , even the 2,47 won't works!

Re: blender 2.46 release today! - 11/01/08 08:53

Tried it on my laptop and it runs fine!
Now, my guess is that its because of my graphic drivers.
I'll have a look into this!

An update of the graphic drivers did the job.
It works now.
Thank you for your patience.
© 2024 lite-C Forums