Unity can do that too 8D
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/15/09 22:18

the web player is the best
I hope A7 make more fast the web plug in
and make high priority
Posted By: Toast

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/15/09 22:29

Can someone comment on Torque's latest achievements for rather "non-progammer" users? The last time I had a look at it Torque wasn't too shiny on this aspect and its script language was extremely limited and you couldn't do much more than doing another fps with the script...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/15/09 22:43

Did you look at the pricing and restrictions?

http://www.garagegames.com/products/torque-3d/preorder
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/16/09 06:57

@Toast:

Quote:
... and its script language was extremely limited

TorqueScript is not limited.

Quote:
... and you couldn't do much more than doing another fps with the script...

This is true and false at the same time. Most Torque-Users modify existing samples like starter.fps or tutorial.base to create their own game.
Experienced user dont do that. They create a game from scratch.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/16/09 07:01

These gdc videos look great. I saw them a few weeks ago at the GG blogs section. But I also found out that this is not GG content. It is an additional content pack (forest pack) that will be sold separately (they mentioned something up to 400 USD for this pack). It modifies Torque3d and adds some new tools plus the art content.

And you cannot use such packs with the basic edition of T3D, since they need the source code to integrate these engine modifications.

T3D looks great and is getting nice features, better shadows, better workflow and good shaders. It supports a few platforms plus web-publishing. So it really compares a bit to Unity3d.
But the price and the needed knowledge to understand the source code will be the reason that mainly experienced developers will use it. But theses experienced developers also have the ability to use Ogre or C4 as options. So it depends on the project.

Beginners and artists will probably chose Unity instead. The growing amount of our customers working on Unity3d projects already shows this fact.

At Dexsoft we will probably buy a T3D license later to test our models in this engine. If this happens then I could write a little review.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/16/09 10:37

Isn't that demo just Torque + well planned effects + good artists and some procedural programming? I see nothing that unity couldn't do.

Torque is awesome though that it's scripting language is very agile and the rendering pipeline is thought out.
Posted By: alpha_strike

A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 11:21

Originally Posted By: Felixsg
the web player is the best
I hope A7 make more fast the web plug in
and make high priority

is there on the forum a n y clue for a possible feature like a web player for the engine?
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 11:47

Originally Posted By: Forecast
A plugin for playing games in an internet browser window.

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 12:00

Originally Posted By: Forecast
A plugin for playing games in an internet browser window.

Forecast features took several years until release in the past.

But why wait? You already can publish any game in a webplayer:
http://www.osakit.com/

Here is an example of such a project:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/16843

But a special web player like the Unity player with streaming included will reduce the initial download time.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 12:07

Frank! You're my hero! smile laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 14:06

osakit was mentioned before but i didnt tired it at that time,

i gave it a try and it works nice so far.

osakit is pretty nice. here is a osakit-a7 commerical demonstration using template project(10 mb download, seems like osakit pro version has streaming):

http://quadraxas.com/osakit/a7osakit.html

(idk why but if you want it to play in another browser,you have to run it once in IE.) updated. Hopefully, now works with other browsers, without running with ie first.

ontopic:
tgea and torque3d is nice, but gg fails in a lot of aspects.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 15:15

not are very cheap now

I think A7 need to make high priority to this
can open new doors for the promotion of the gsmes and
A7 self

Imagine a host like www.yoyogames.com
for gamestudio

can be include with the pro edition without advertising
and with link to gamestudio in the other editions

think can be the best option for promote the engine
and the direct playing in the web is the more future
(mini games --> casual games)

I think togheter make a referendum to JCL
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 20:51

That OSA is really cool!
The only problem is, that you obviously cant
lock the mousecursor from moving out of the window,
wich makes having FPS work impropperly.

The acknex engine should have an option to lock the cursor then.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/16/09 21:11

Well Torque 3D also have some very friendly and powerfull editor.
Im'not sure you can control all things with Torque script !
And pay more to have more tools ...
And even with best tools,if you don't have talented modeler,texturer,interface artists you won't do good things.

Not sure it has such friendly panels and powerfull drag and drop features as Unity ?

Just let's hope to see someday some videos of A8 with such powerfull and friendly editor like Unity or Torque smile
I agree some portal site for A7 games would be the best way to promote the engine. Hope to see one one day also !
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/17/09 01:32

Frank, thanks for the link, Quadraxas, thanks for the demo!
To see an Acknex environment as a game in a browser almost drives tears into my eyes! wink *sigh*
Posted By: ortucis

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/17/09 22:57

Stay away from GG. Unless of course you enjoy spending money on "addons" just to add basic features and fixes to the engine..
Posted By: GamerX

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 02:16

Did any1 get it to play in the actual browser? I tried this a few months ago and it always opens the game up in a window instead of playing in the browser window.

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 09:49

Originally Posted By: GamerX
Did any1 get it to play in the actual browser? I tried this a few months ago and it always opens the game up in a window instead of playing in the browser window.

Look at the Osa-Kit Demo. You will see there are options to embed it into the browser but you can also start it in an extra window.
Posted By: HeelX

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 10:24

This is very promising. Although the previously posted Gamestudio demo has some lacks (starter window and the engine window is visible for some frames before it gets embedded), I think this could be a possible solution.

I was first disappointed that the whole game has to be download in advance but after reading the SDK help file of the OSA kit this is not necessary with the professional version. You can communicate with the browser and download files in another task and get percentage information.

To hit the nail: virtually, you can just tie together all binaries (exe, acknex.dll, plugins, etc.) and download nearly everything ingame, before you use it. Therefore you can log for each level all needed files and a custom level loader could check the list against possibly existant files on the HDD and otherwise it downloads it. When all needed files are downloaded, a scene will be loaded the usual way with level_load. Music should be nevertheless treated in a special way, I would suggest real streaming through FMOD or else. Even if a music file is only 3-4 MB, not everyone has a high bandwith internet connection wink

The pricing is okay. Though, it is interesting how long it takes until a competing web player for A7 is ready.

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 11:19

I was very excited about this tool, but I've heard that under Vista you need admin rights, and it asks you for permission to copy the exe on your pc.
That might reduce the range of customers drastically.
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 11:23

This is just what A7 needs. Or they could work together and integrate this into the package...

The only permission request I get from Vista is when I install the plug-in. After that the games load and play right away!

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 11:29

Ah, okay. Do you have admin rights on your pc?

Maybe, we can collect the experiences with Quadraxas' demo here.

I've got windows xp and it asked me only whether it is allowed to install the plug-in, too.

What do you think about the customers: Do they hesitate to install the plug-in?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 12:15

You always need to install a plugin, this is also the same for e.g. the unity web player. Other than that there *should* be no other user dialog or else.
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: A7 Web Player?? - 04/18/09 12:31

Yes I do have admin rights on Vista. I'm going to try this out on a guest account later.

I think that users used to hesitate when asked to install a plug-in, and I guess some still do, but it has become much more common and easier to install. So I don't think that people will not try out a game just because it takes a plug-in to run it. As long as they know what their getting...
Posted By: XNASorcerer

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/29/09 14:37

Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku
Unity can do that too 8D

Well, I don't think so. I am testing the trial of the Unit 2.5 Pro and there is no comparition what so ever.
Starting by the shadows and moving to this tools inside T3D editor: Look:
http://www.garagegames.com/community/blog/view/17049/2#comments
Posted By: Samb

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/29/09 15:26

I'm the only one who is worried that the end-user will have to download too many webplayer plugins for all the engines? smirk
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Stop talking about Unity and talk about this one - 04/29/09 15:26

Well i'm not fanatic to Unity but i've got some points :

- Road editor : that's on the works for Unity :
http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=20576
- And for the water editor : it's just a shader.
In Unity , you could also create the mesh with the form you want for the river of your scene.
You just apply the shader and that's it.

I recognize that in Torque : be able to create pieces of water and modify them (size, shader parameters) in real time is a good thing.

Just don't forget some points :
- Unity script is very easy compared to Torque (for additionnal tools/ things you can use C# , no C++)
- how it's easy in Unity ot create things, and how good the workflow is (drag and drop physic panels on an object)

You can go to showcase of Unity and see how many thinsg are created by non programmers (or very beginners in programming) people.
But indeed, Torque 3D now have impressive editors , good shader library , great shadow management.
Now all it needs, it's like Far Cry editor : the same AI for ennemies.

Well , just keep relative also , that's good point to show others engines advantages, it can inspire others engines.
After that , even with such advanced tools, i doubt lot of us will achieve a big AAA title with lot of AAA textures, structures and characters smile

© 2024 lite-C Forums