FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test

Posted By: HeelX

FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 14:49

Hi folks,

I promised again and again to rework the FMOD 3 wrapper for Gamestudio A7 - and it took actually a long time. Normally, for this kind of task, it shouldn't but you might know by yourself that if you have a regular life, too, things can slow down or also stop moving in the worst case. --- Now, the whole thing matured so far that I can release a beta version!

FMOD 3.75 wrapper for Gamestudio A7 (beta)
http://www.christian-behrenberg.de/.../A7fmod375wrapper_beta.zip

The cool new wrapper features (apart of the FMOD features) are:

• Wrapper DLL for the FMOD 3.75 audio engine with -all- of its features
  • supports through the same interfaces both C-Script -and- Lite-C projects!
  • WRS support for sample loading

In comparison to the old version the new wrapper is coded with more care, more robustness and more supported features!

It was a tough decision to design an interface that works with Lite-C and C-Script and it take a long time to make it work. This involves making compliant parameterlists (e.g. heavy vector abuse for making it possible to pass more than four arguments via C-Script) or moving complex datastructures into the DLL. More information are to be found in the provided manual which includes a rich documentation of the wrapper interface, migration information and how use the wrapper exclusive A7 features.

Remind that this is just a beta version. I have to add more samples for the FMUSIC API and add maybe some bugfixes - so, please report any odd or wrong behaviour to make it grow! To make usage under Lite-C more convenient I will maybe consider to work out some special compiler defines to be able to compile a Lite-C specific version that doesn't need vectors to be compatible to C-Script.

Please send bug reports to my email adress with a detailed description of how to reproduce the bug(s). Maybe add a minimal testcase in which the bug arises to make it easier for me :-)

Have fun and best regards,
-Christian
Posted By: Quad

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 16:25

DLL doesnt get loaded in my case.(i dont see the fmod3Wrapper.dll loaded on startup screen)

is it just me or could it be that you accidentally included a debug version of dll instead of a release one? you know debug dll only loads on your pc.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 16:50

Make sure that you downloaded the fmod.dll from www.fmod.org and then put it together with the wrapper dll where you load your plugins from. If you wanna try one of the samples copy both files into a sample folder. Use the A7.80. Open SED and run it from there.

I compiled in release mode.
Posted By: Quad

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 16:59

i was placing both ddls to acknex_plugins folder but lookslike i have to copy fmod.dll to project folder.(it works when wrapper dll both in project folder or acknex_plugins but fmod.dll has to be in project folder.)

thanks, time to check the samples.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 17:17

i was reading something and am not entirely sure if i remember correctly, but is this dll free for commercial projects?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 17:23

Good to know that it works for you :-)

You can use my wrapper DLL ("fmod3Wrapper.dll") for free for any purpose with no restrictions. Just make sure that you fit the FMOD licensing because you use in fact via my dll the FMOD audio engine ("fmod.dll").

There is a big page in the manual which covers the licensing. In short: if you don't go commercial you have nothing to pay, otherwise you have and if you are an Indie you pay only a few peanuts. See here for more details directly from the fmod creators: http://www.fmod.org/index.php/sales

To summarize (again): my DLL is only a wrapper. It provides an interface to FMOD 3.75 for both C-Script and Lite-C at the same time. In fact, you can not easily integrate the FMOD audio engine into Gamestudio projects natively, therefore I wrote the DLL. So, if you use mine DLL, you use also the FMOD dll.
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/19/09 22:57

Thanks HeelX, will check it out.

Loco
Posted By: Error014

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/20/09 12:17

Thats a really, really great contribution, thank you! laugh

I unfortunately cannot get it to work on A6, which I guess is not surprising (it fails with "Empty pointer in fsoundSampleLoadStr"). I realize that A6-support is, probably, not worth your time, which for me is unfortunate, but something I definately understand. Still, many thanks! Will be helpful for the upgrade to A7, which I'm sure I'm going to get, someday.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/20/09 13:55

When I find the time, I'll try to compile with the latest A6 SDK, maybe it works... :-)

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/20/09 16:23

Ah, wrong forum. Maybe by this more people get attracted to this...
Posted By: William

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/20/09 17:08

I have converted Silas to use FMOD with this dll. It works great, much more reliable, and you can finally have more than 2.1 sound. I also find the 3d sound system to work and sound much better, as you have much more control. To anyone who ever wanted something past the native sound system, use this, it's easy, and the FMOD license is affordable if you end up distributing your title for money one day. Cheers to Christian for a quality release that was really needed! laugh
Posted By: Error014

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/20/09 20:21

Quote:
When I find the time, I'll try to compile with the latest A6 SDK, maybe it works... :-)

That'd be amazing!
You rock laugh
Posted By: luckyxxl

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/21/09 16:24

I waited for it so long AND NOW IT'S THERE!!!!!!

ThxThxThx, all examples work GREAT!!!

I can't wait to put it im my game!!!

But it's true that it doesn't support 3D soundcards (I have one but I only get stereo sound)
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/21/09 16:31

Originally Posted By: luckyxxl

But it's true that it doesn't support 3D soundcards (I have one but I only get stereo sound)

You only have a 3D Card - and have stereo sound^^?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/21/09 17:01

Thanks for your kind words :-)

but what kind of sound should a 3D graphics card generate? :-) I don't get it...
Posted By: Helghast

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/22/09 08:24

awesome grin I'm gonna implement this in my new game!
thanks man grin

regards,

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/22/09 13:56

Originally Posted By: HeelX

Thanks for your kind words :-)

but what kind of sound should a 3D graphics card generate? :-) I don't get it...

I have a 5.1 soundcard and a 5.1 sound system (that's what I mean with 3D). But I get only stereo sound from the two front speekers. But with the 3DGS sound system I get 5.1 sound.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/22/09 16:19

Ah, I understand.

FMOD uses by default FSOUND_SPEAKERMODE_STEREO as speaker mode. Try using

Code:
fsoundSetSpeakerMode(FSOUND_SPEAKERMODE_SURROUND);

and report what happened. Just add the line into the 3D demo somewhere in the main function. I can't test it because I have no 5.1 soundcard...

I noticed by your checking the function that I missed to add the speakermodes to the manual, thanks!

Best regards,
-Christian

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/22/09 18:13

No, this don't work :-( The sript is compiled but this has no effect.

But maybe it's because I have a USB soundcard?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/22/09 18:42

Uhm, I dunno... I'll put it on my list. Can you please send me an email so that I can contact you later?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/23/09 16:03

I wrote you a pm.

I you want me test something on my 5.1 system just write me a mail ;-)

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/27/09 08:13

was reading the license, i have a team of people so i dont know which license go for us, sure we arent registered ATM but that may change, really have to be careful before using this because the license fee can be expensive it seems, or am i missing something?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/27/09 15:24

I think the license is simple.

FMOD Shareware / Hobbyist License: you are a lone wolf, selling for just a few bucks, ie 10$ and you are not registred and it has to have "shareware" quality (proofed on a case by case basis). You pay once 100$. Honestly, most people don't exceed this type of license.

FMOD Casual License: intended for electronically distributed budget titles - titles must sell for $20 USD or less and be available through downloadable/online distribution channels only. Costs ~1500 $.

FMOD Commercial License: everything above that is commercial.

As long as you publish your game for free, you don't have to pay anything.

Chances are high, that most Indies don't sell their games for 10$ or more and then 100$ are very comfortable. If you make much money, 1500$ will peanuts, too. Don't get me wrong: I just think that if you really need it and you make real money with it, why complaining about such a low price for such a high quality middleware?

More information here: http://www.fmod.org/index.php/sales

Maybe you can tell us more details about your game and I can tell you what you have probably to pay..

Best regards,
-Chistian

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/27/09 15:51

am not complaining, the prices do seem fair but just want more information before adding another piece of software, it all adds up, am not saying my game will be majorly successful but we have to work with that goal in mind, what if i say, price my game at 15$ and its somewhat accepted by the majority, i then have to live up to the Casual license right?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/27/09 22:01

In this case you should contact the FMOD sales team. They are friendly people and if you have good arguments why 1.5k are a bit much, I think they will listen for sure.
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/27/09 22:53

just wanted to comment, that I do not intend to use this DLL, but that it's definatly one of the best-documented and worked-out DLL's out there.
Gratulations and thank you very much for your work.
Posted By: Locoweed

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 10/30/09 22:12

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Ah, I understand.

FMOD uses by default FSOUND_SPEAKERMODE_STEREO as speaker mode. Try using

Code:

and report what happened. Just add the line into the 3D demo somewhere in the main function. I can't test it because I have no 5.1 soundcard...

I noticed by your checking the function that I missed to add the speakermodes to the manual, thanks!

Best regards,
-Christian

I tested the
on my 5.1 speaker system Christian, it is not working at the moment bro, still just stereo sound on front speakers only at the moment.

Forgot to add my Specs: Creative SB X-Fi Extreme Gamer audio card. 3DGS 3d sound definitely doesn't work with this.

Sincerely,
Loco
Posted By: 3run

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 12/28/10 10:26

I'm getting Error E1512: Empty prototype called in main, after that script runs, but there is no sound at all...
I've tried with free and trial versions.
Posted By: FBL

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 12/28/10 11:01

I think both versions cannot use custom DLLs.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 12/28/10 11:46

Damn... So I need Commercial and above, am I right?
Posted By: the_mehmaster

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 12/30/10 02:08

Quote:
Damn... So I need Commercial and above, am I right?

The extra version supports custom DLLs as
well I believe, although that is the
only additional feature you get
with that at the moment. WED used to come
with extra as another feature, but then they
'stomped it down' to the free version, leaving
custom DLLs as the only reason to get extra.
(Besides the watermark-removal+publishing, of course)

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 06/24/11 15:05

OK, I tried to get this to work with commercial version of A7 (last version), but stll I'm having problems with it. I get empty prototype in main... May be this version doesn't work with latest A7?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 06/24/11 19:52

I do not support nor do I develop this software anymore. Please upgrade to A8 and use the new OpenAL features. If I ever to decide to do it again, I will switch to the latest FMOD release and force JCL to show me how I natively integrate an audio engine into A8/A9/AX, whatever.

I am not sure... did I just released the DLL or the source as well? smile

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 06/24/11 21:22

In the archive which I've downloaded, I've found only ".dll"
Sad to hear that you don't support this anymore... frown

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 06/24/11 21:26

Maybe I dig out the source for you. But be warned. That is ooooold code. Smells a bit smile

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 06/24/11 22:20

Thats not going to be a problem, I'm not fussy laugh Tank you.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 08/02/11 14:08

I'm the happiest man on the world! grin Thank you for this wonderful wrapper, I got it to work now! laugh
Posted By: alibaba

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 08/02/11 14:24

What about sharing grin

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 08/02/11 14:31

I'll PM you now bro laugh Trick was in fmod.dll laugh

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 08/15/11 15:34

i know you probably no longer maintain this but if you have a few minutes could you give me an idea of why it doesnt load on my pc [win7]

tried:
- placing both dlls in acknex_plugins
- placing both dlls in project folder
- placing project folder in gstudio7 folder
- reinstalling vcredist_x86

notes:
- if i try to run the script from SED, it crashes but if publish the same script, it works ? uh ?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 08/15/11 17:47

after more tests i noticed, runs fine wen compiled/published but i get empty pointer in main when running from SED...

so the million dollar question is: What could cause a dll to run in compiled when published but not otherwise ?
Posted By: Kartoffel

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/24/13 19:01

link in the 1st post is down.

any chance to get this reuploaded?

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/24/13 19:31

Go online in skype, I can send it right to you.

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/26/13 14:15

have I already added you to my contact list? smirk

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/26/13 14:47

you've added me about half a year ago or so grin

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/27/13 15:05

now I have a little problem.
I want to open music files which are not in the work folder but this somehow doesnt work.

Code:
stream = fsoundStreamOpen("D:\music\blabla.mp3", FSOUND_LOOP_OFF, 0, 0); // doesn't work

stream = fsoundStreamOpen("blabla.mp3", FSOUND_LOOP_OFF, 0, 0); // & the file is located in the work folder -> works

Re: FMOD 3 Wrapper - beta test - 09/27/13 15:21

fixed it.
all '\' need to be '\\'
© 2024 lite-C Forums