GameCore now free

Posted By: BigDaz

GameCore now free - 06/25/10 11:14

Following the recent trend, the GameCore indie engine is now free too.

http://www.gamecore3d.com/

Here's an old trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3Vkvn1fJ-E
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: GameCore now free - 06/26/10 10:24

Hello

Are you still using GameCore ?
I have alwayes been interested in this engine
My gut feeling is that it is better than the super famous Unity
The editor is about the same quality but programming style is much cleaner in my opinion
I find Unity scrpit and commands somehow confusing

My concern was however stability and the future of the engine
I get frustated seeing some hundred people online in Unity and 3 or 4 in GameCore

Do they fix bugs in a reasonable time ?
Can they afford to update their engine on regular basis ?

By the way do you know wether they removed the obbligation to show the GC logo even for the professionale edition( now the only edition)
A minor issue but I did not like it

Re: GameCore now free - 06/26/10 19:17

Yeah I'm still using it. I hope to have a demo of my game ready in a few weeks. I find it simpler and easier than Unity, and every other engine really.

Updates and bug fixes are pretty slow but steady. There's no time frame for anything, it's just 'ready when it's ready' which can be frustrating. As for the logo they did hint at future changes but there's been no official news on the subject.

Re: GameCore now free - 06/26/10 20:40

Thanks
just a last question is the collision system as good as Unity's as far as you know ?

Re: GameCore now free - 06/26/10 21:34

I'm guessing physics and collision are probably better in Unity since it uses Physx. GameCore uses ODE.

Re: GameCore now free - 06/27/10 07:49

thanks again
I downloaded the free version but the demo is quite slow on my portable PC
The equivalent "Island" demo by Unity runs much faster on the same PC
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: GameCore now free - 06/29/10 16:16

-.- stop posting SPAM !!
Posted By: Tiles

Re: GameCore now free - 06/29/10 18:05

Is the manual still this incomplete that you can call it useless? And does non US layout finally work?
Posted By: fogman

Re: GameCore now free - 06/29/10 19:26

Quote:
-.- stop posting SPAM !!

The only persons spamming around here are you and me. wink
This is the "Tools" forum, get over it.
The discussion about CameCore fits perfectly in here.

Edit: Sorry Rei, my fault, peace! laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: GameCore now free - 06/29/10 19:34

@fogman,

there was a spam meesage like

"use gamemaker, good 2d engine"

looks like it has been deleted, rei was referring to it.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: GameCore now free - 06/29/10 19:34

Rei answered to an deleted spam post.

Edit: Quadraxas was faster frown

Re: GameCore now free - 07/01/10 15:18

Apart from the spam
Can anybody else confirm that Unity3d is much faster than GameCore ?
or am I doing anything wrong ?
I simply dowloaded their demo's on my two Pc's one desktop and one mobile
Unity demo , the Island , seems to be more demanding in term of power than the GameCore's but it runs also much faster and I am not talking about just a few fps

Re: GameCore now free - 07/08/10 10:03

Originally Posted By: Tiles
Is the manual still this incomplete that you can call it useless? And does non US layout finally work?

It's improving over time as always, still poor in many areas. If you want documentation on a particular topic you can always ask for it. I think you can remap keys to anything you like but they seem content for users to work around this problem rather than fix it properly.
Posted By: Blink

Re: GameCore now free - 07/08/10 20:09

oh my, i watched a video on youtube...WOW i was soooo impressed! i downloaded it, but i dont want to get too involved. does it expire after 90 days? the website wasnt so clear about that. as impressive as it was, i dont see myself shelling out $1499 for the pro version.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: GameCore now free - 07/08/10 22:45

Sorry their video don't show a complete game as the FPS game that you can download with Unity with shaders , ennemies etc ... !
Only simple 3D art levels made y some 3D artist and a simple Arcade flying game with simple empty level !

I already flamed on their site saying they were money attracted before thinking of users a little. I was one of the first buyers of this engine in it's old version : Beyond Virtual Engine ! I see money rules again.

2. If you're a new buyer of GameCore you get 25% ($1125) and will be able to upgrade to GameCore 3.0 for 50% off that value.

That's not cheap at all !

For same price i would take Unity instead.
Because it is more powerfull/optimised and i really prefer Unity Script and tools/interface.
And you have possibility to easily program in C# or create your own custom panel for the world editor in C#.

Only few people use Gamecore, there only some topics in the showcase section, no real good game, and only some posts per months on that section.
Go to Unity Forum, lot of things and games each month on the Showcase forum laugh
Yeas, showcase forums is the thing that show you if lot or few people use the engine each month.

In the past, they didn't responded to user during long time, and today, they don't have lot of time to be on forums or
on the documentation !
Things have not changed a lot.

Im' not against them, it's just: Bring on a complete FPS like Unity' one and we will talk after that laugh

Well just my point of view.

Re: GameCore now free - 07/09/10 08:47

Originally Posted By: Blink
oh my, i watched a video on youtube...WOW i was soooo impressed! i downloaded it, but i dont want to get too involved. does it expire after 90 days? the website wasnt so clear about that. as impressive as it was, i dont see myself shelling out $1499 for the pro version.

The indie version doesn't expire at all. I wouldn't recommend buying the pro version, even with a discount it's expensive.

Re: GameCore now free - 07/09/10 09:03

Originally Posted By: ratchet

Only few people use Gamecore, there only some topics in the showcase section, no real good game, and only some posts per months on that section.
Go to Unity Forum, lot of things and games each month on the Showcase forum laugh
Yeas, showcase forums is the thing that show you if lot or few people use the engine each month.

Well as we've said before, the attitude that 'nobody is using it so I won't either' is a vicious circle. It's a bit silly to tell people not to use it, and then complain there's no GameCore games to play as a direct result. Another vicious circle.

Re: GameCore now free - 07/11/10 09:50

That's true , it is a vicious circle
However I was on GameCore side but I have been disappointed about performance
The Unity3d "Island" demo runs much faster than the GameCore "Island " demo and it is even much more complex
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: GameCore now free - 07/12/10 05:44

I bought the BV license 4 years ago and I have the 50% discount, but it is still expensive.

Finally I pre-order Unity 3.0 for EUR880.

Re: GameCore now free - 07/12/10 20:32

Originally Posted By: AlbertoT
That's true , it is a vicious circle
However I was on GameCore side but I have been disappointed about performance
The Unity3d "Island" demo runs much faster than the GameCore "Island " demo and it is even much more complex

Not sure why that would be, it's the other way around on my PC with GameCore being faster.
© 2024 lite-C Forums