3DS Max Cloth Modifier

Posted By: GieskeBon

3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/03/11 12:32

Hi everyone,

I have a question about the cloth modifier in 3ds Max. I have an object that is a cape in 3ds Max and its animated. Is it possible to export this cape with Cloth animation to 3D Gamestudio?

Thanks
Dave

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/04/11 13:14

Anyone???
Posted By: Quad

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/04/11 15:42

yes but you have to export/import it as vertex animation.

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/04/11 15:49

How can I do that? What kind of export/import files are that?

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/06/11 16:38

Sorry guys, I still don't know how do this. Is there someone who wants to explain how do this?

Thanks guys

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/07/11 23:02

bump
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/08/11 01:23

You could try to use the Point Cache modifier.
First make your cloth animation in Max. Then use the Point Cache modifier to save the vertex positions of all animation frames.
Then you can remove the cloth modifier and use the Point Cache modifier again, to load the saved vertex positions.
Then you can export your model with the Max_to_Mdl plugin.
I did'nt tested it with cloth animation. But I works with other modifiers like wind, ripple modifier, etc.!

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/08/11 18:40

Thanks for your reply. I've been playing around with the Point Cache modifier and in Max it's working fine. I had made the cape with the cloth modifier. After this I simulate it. Then I put the Point Cache modifier on it. Make a file, record it and save it. After this I collapse all and it will be an editable mesh and does nothing. I put the Point Cache Modifier on it and its working again. I save the file and export it with fbx. I import it in Med with fbx and what I got is an 1 frame file. What did I do wrong?

When I change the x value on keyframe nr 100 and do the same like above, I have got 100 frames when imported in med, but the only thing the mesh will do now is sliding on the x axis. No vertex deformations.

I even tried the same thing above and then I put a skin modifier on it with a bone attached to it. No vertex deformations too.

I really have no clue what to do now...

Edit:

What do you mean with the max_to_mdl plugin???
Posted By: Harry Potter

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/09/11 09:42

Originally Posted By: GieskeBon
What do you mean with the max_to_mdl plugin???

I have downloaded the MaxToMdl plugin from the download's page some years ago. It works fine and I can export all animation frames without any problems. But it only works with max 6.0!

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/09/11 10:03

Aah, I see what you mean. I don't have max 6.0.

The only animation I got is the sliding along the axis, but no vertex changes. Only with the skin modifier I get some vertex changes. When I change 1 vertex position it's ok in max, but I see nothing move in med. I will search for an max_to_mdl plugin. Maybe that will help.

EDIT:

Is there a exporter to mdl in blender? Because blender is a free program. Maybe there's an possibility to export the max file into blender and then export it to med (with animations offcourse).
Posted By: Quad

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/09/11 13:32

I do not have max but i am definetaly sure that if you "bake" deformations while you are exporting to FBX you can import them as points animation in MED.

Re: 3DS Max Cloth Modifier - 01/09/11 17:39

When I bake the animation then its still the same. But I found in the fbx menu that you also can export an point cache file. But now is the problem that fbx exporter can't find my *.xml file frown You have to put the xml file into the same folder as the fbx file, but it is!!!

I think this is the solution (when it's loading the file).
© 2024 lite-C Forums