Relief mapping shader :

Posted By: ratchet

Relief mapping shader : - 10/06/12 00:12

Impressive laugh
But it's Unity 3D only , there is a webplayer demo also.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/152531-New-relief-mapping-techniques-%28fast%29

I see lot of usefull usse of such shader for rectangle based textures.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/06/12 03:07

Well, he optimized relief mapping for the limited case that there are only two possible height values.
Not much magic.
($20-$35 is a bad joke.)

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/07/12 20:41

Have you tried the demo ???????

You have a slider to move the height extrusion value in real time ! So you can modify the extrusion height in real time, for special effects.
Yep the price is hight for one shader only !

BUT :
If you have some game in the makings and you find it alredy successfull and it will give you 5$ for each sell, believe me it's nothing to spend some 25$ or 35$ laugh

---------------------

Someone having a stable and powerfull game base, susscessfull on IndieDb for example will invest more on 3D assets , textures, or some shader to bring the level up of the game.
Or he will pay for some freelancer 3D artist to make some models for him.

All depends in that question :
Have you some solid game, gorgeous with good play and with some good popularity ?
Well i stop here caus it's a totally different subject of talking about when invest or not in 3D assets !

---------------

Anyway it's a cool shader , less exepensive in GPU , and if someone plans a game taht would use it a lot (dunegon game walls , futurist environments , weapons and 3D assets etc ...) indeed it can be agreat deal laugh
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/09/12 19:15

The shader is not complicated (compared to other ones) and really boring.
Plus, you can only use it with one height on the whole model, which can be used in very rare occasions.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/09/12 19:19

BUT: you can adjust this binary height laugh

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/09/12 20:41

It's not my shader laugh
I found it cool and could be usefull and less GPU expensive if your game need that sort of extrusion on all Walls !
And i haven't seen some published game useing such shader laugh
Could doo great for SCI FI games texture levels for example.

Well ...
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/09/12 20:46

I wonder what would happen if you used a high res texture for that shader, then a lower res one overlaying, it would give the illusion of realistic sharp edges, but still have detail variations. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm............
Posted By: HeelX

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/10/12 15:15

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
The shader is [...] really boring.
I wonder how an entertaining shader looks like?
Posted By: Sajeth

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/10/12 15:28

An entertaining shader takes a video ID in skill1 and then renders the corresponding Redtube video on an ingame surface. Now, do we have a shader expert with a bit too much free time on their hands..?
Posted By: sivan

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/10/12 18:10

Originally Posted By: HeelX
Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
The shader is [...] really boring.
I wonder how an entertaining shader looks like?

maybe a woman undresser shader? grin
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Relief mapping shader : - 10/10/12 18:17

Originally Posted By: Sajeth
An entertaining shader takes a video ID in skill1 and then renders the corresponding Redtube video on an ingame surface. Now, do we have a shader expert with a bit too much free time on their hands..?

+1
© 2024 lite-C Forums