Unity goes WebGL

Posted By: FBL

Unity goes WebGL - 08/18/14 15:46

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/14/unity-will-let-you-make-plugin-free-browser-based-games-for-free/

This is indeed very interesting.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/18/14 22:24

yes, it is.

previously they said it will be an add-on you have to pay for. and now even unity free will have it.

i wonder about the future... i know it is a bit slower but theoretically the browser could make all other platforms obsolete. laugh
Posted By: Quad

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/18/14 22:45

asm.js + emscripten and boom acknex only needs an webgl/ogl renderer for this to happen
Posted By: oliver2s

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 08:41

That's pretty cool. Waited for so long for this feature.

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 15:32

Only drawback possibly is the gamepad support..?
I researched a bit how to do this in a browser and it seems to be pretty much in a beta state. Chrome needed an extra config change and Firefox told support is available, but my X360 controller would not work out of the box.

Still I like the fact, I can continue playing around with Unity without having to fear I have to drop any planned WebGL activity due to limited free time.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 16:07

WebGL has nothing to do with input though, that's a completely different pair of shoes.

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 17:06

Originally Posted By: WretchedSid
WebGL has nothing to do with input though, that's a completely different pair of shoes.

True.
In this case I was referring to a game running in browser, displaying via WebGL, playable via Gamepad.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 17:25

Originally Posted By: ventilator
i know it is a bit slower but theoretically the browser could make all other platforms obsolete. laugh

As long as it is slower a lot of the biggest games won't find a place there as they are already really demanding on the hardware. Especially since the most played games right now all have a competitive character (LoL/DotA/CS:GO) and everyone there wants every single fps they can get.
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 17:26

https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/gamepad/raw-file/default/gamepad.html
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 17:29

Originally Posted By: Firoball
In this case I was referring to a game running in browser, displaying via WebGL, playable via Gamepad.

Fair enough.

I have to admit though that I personally am not very fond of WebGL. Microsofts original stance to it was very good, because quite frankly, allowing any website to run code on the GPU sounds like a perfect way to compromise security.

I know that Chrome's ANGLE tries to mitigate these kinds of issues (among other things), but it just seems like a lot of hassle for not much gain. Alas though, this is really getting far away from the topic.

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 18:05

yes, but support seems still to be lacking.

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 18:07

Originally Posted By: Rei_Ayanami
Originally Posted By: ventilator
i know it is a bit slower but theoretically the browser could make all other platforms obsolete. laugh

As long as it is slower a lot of the biggest games won't find a place there as they are already really demanding on the hardware. Especially since the most played games right now all have a competitive character (LoL/DotA/CS:GO) and everyone there wants every single fps they can get.

Despite the fact you're right this is not what I was initially interested in. For me it's just small games or applicatons anyway, and today's systems will be able to handle those good enough.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Unity goes WebGL - 08/19/14 20:30

most current pcs already are faster than the current console generation so it's no big deal if javascript consumes the difference. laugh

but i also see the advantage in smaller games. it's extremely cool that it's not necessary to download or install anything. just visit a webpage. for example i very rarely checked out games by people on this forum because i just found the downloading, unzipping or worse, installing and cleaning up afterwards way too annoying to be worth it. laugh (and by the way every game you downloaded potentially was a much bigger security risk than webgl is. it just could have wiped my harddisk.)
© 2024 lite-C Forums