Halp, What should i do?

Posted By: FEL

Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 13:19

Hello folks,

Im in need of an answer everything is bad...
I have a stable Gamestudio RPG Template now buggy but worth a lot, but now im in trouble... i asked myself where my journy with 3dgs could end and realized: Its not woth to create a Game with an old Engine ONLY for Windows...

So i traveled threw the Web and tried out about a hundred Engine stables: Ending @ Cryengine and a few Ogrestables.

Cryengine and UT both look great and so... but theyre very hard and im missing tutorials to manage them. Also both are restricted to Commercial, wich means u need to pay some green for em... I could pay but i dont know either it would be worth it...

I need a Here and the answer to the Universe, what Engine should i use? What should i do? Or will 3dgs Update? Im bout to jump off...

//Lays down microphone...
Posted By: Superku

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 13:46

Although it would be certainly nice to be able to deploy on Mac and Linux too, the PC/ Windows platform still has a player base second to none - Steam alone has 100 million registered accounts and at least 75 (%) of them are active users.

No matter what the engine/ product says it's not like you can port the game to various platforms with a single click, there's always more stuff to be done, for example have different Windows, Mac and Linux computers for testing. If you haven't managed creating a complete game for the PC alone yet (no offense!) I wouldn't suggest targeting a release on multiple platforms for now.

Btw. I've moved your thread and "I have a stable Gamestudio RPG Template now buggy" sounds a little contradictory to me. wink
Posted By: sivan

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 15:26

imo check Unreal Engine 4, it gives you much more power and freedom than UDK did. its Blueprint system (visual programming and object assembly) is fun, you have to go through some video tutorial series to get some practice, but the documentation is also improving. just subscribe for a month for 19USD/EUR. its development is awesome, there is always something to test, e.g. 4.7 is coming with a massive foliage rendering speed increase, which was not bad, produced higher FPS than 3DGS Pro in case of many vegetation models placed on a huge 4-testure terrain (under approx. 1000 trees 3DGS was better).

its C++ programming requires more programming skills, I could not start without spending the last few years of Lite-c and 3DGS! I'm experiencing with it sometimes, and now have a vision how to use it for my game (beside prototyping still with 3DGS).

and last but not least, probably you can find active team members easily in future (there are many 2D/3D artists).
Posted By: FBL

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 15:35

Originally Posted By: Superku
Although it would be certainly nice to be able to deploy on Mac and Linux too, the PC/ Windows platform still has a player base second to none - Steam alone has 100 million registered accounts and at least 75 (%) of them are active users.

No matter what the engine/ product says it's not like you can port the game to various platforms with a single click, there's always more stuff to be done, for example have different Windows, Mac and Linux computers for testing. If you haven't managed creating a complete game for the PC alone yet (no offense!) I wouldn't suggest targeting a release on multiple platforms for now.

Pretty much hits the mark.

However it is always nice to have the OPTION to deploy to another platform, although this means further adaption.

Let's face the unreality you all of a sudden have a huge success, get requests for porting it here and there, and then are stuck with Windows only platform. While code can always be reprogramed if there is no other way, it... kinda sucks... grin
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 17:37

cryengine if I remember is geared more towards fps games , the thing you need to have a good look at is the engine's art and asset pipeline /workflow ,what files it supports and if it has converters you need to look at what external modeling application it supports , if I remember unreal had a better looking workflow and file /modelling applications support and easier inner toolset than the latest cryengine (briefly researched long ago ,could be that my memory fails me) .

and then there's the learning curves to look at etc , ultimately its your own personal opinion and choice .

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/15/15 22:49

yeah, if you decide to move, you definitely have to rewrite your whole work laugh

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/19/15 17:09

Im thinking of going to UE, i downloaded the Techdemo, got blown away, rised, got blown away again. So yes UE is the answer to the Universe and the weird noises of my neighbours...

Im sry gamestudio but i had enough. Youre lazy lame and stopped aging...
It was a nize time until a9...

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/19/15 20:34

but be careful, ue4 is not the holy grail. it is a set of complex tools to learn... and lacks runtime terrain deformation support what I would badly need...
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/21/15 08:41

FEL, you seem to be a young and at times slightly naive fella, so... Fuck, I don't know, don't you have a party to go to right now?

Anyways, don't let fancy pictures fool you. An engine is most primarily a tool for you as a developer. What other developers can get out of it might not be what you can get out of it. To make an analogy, people can do the most amazing things with a CNC saw, all I can do with it, if I'm lucky, is cut my fingers off. That is to say, an engine is a tool, it's not the magic pill that makes your game great.

That being said, I do encourage you to switch to something modern and supported. But I would encourage you to look at the tool and not the techdemos behind it. See how it fits for you. Of course you can't learn all engines to a sufficient degree, but take 'em for a spin and see what seems to be able to help you! Because that is the point of a tool, it's there to assist you and build an underlying foundation that you can use to excel your games. If it produces fancy pictures in someone elses techdemo but holds you back in creating your game, it's rubbish.

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/21/15 08:53

Im Naive yes but im not liteminded, its not only techdemos i look at to choose. There are plensy more things to do before i could ever choose. I would not buy a UE pass before testing the Editor tools @ live. Thats is the problem... Im lacking Ressources not Knowledge. Unreal has its fancy Bluepronts and its lightweight Shaders, the Engine is mostly powerfull and fits from all i read and watched. I have to try and by the way i can do some CNC fancy stuff, cause im a designer not a codingmachine.

And now, Party. and cheese.

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/21/15 09:05

previously I worked as a design and manufacturing engineer making CNC milling machine stuff grin fortunately CAD/CAM systems make it easy to program it "visually", nearly the same concept as of UE4 grin

by the way, for RPG games I can really recommend Esenthel engine too, it is really designed for it, and much more lightweight, i.e. could be better for a one person development. it is also available as a subscription now. I nearly switched to it before won a 3dgs pro license, but also lacks some features I needed, what UE4 has...
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/21/15 11:35

Quote:
Im Naive yes but im not liteminded
, is that a combination of light-minded and lite-c? grin

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/26/15 09:27

Hey Sivan!

Im working on that esenthel thingy but the demos arent working :c
And the Prizes are... i dont understand: It says Free and then there is a Prizing...

How can i test esenthel? is there a Free SDK? smirk i would like to test it but it seems they dont want me to try.

UE is back on the spot

Re: Halp, What should i do? - 01/26/15 11:22

there is a free version with limited functionalities. I used it before it became subscription based, but apparently no change, you can get it from the store: http://www.esenthel.com/?id=store

click on binary/monthly (top item), then on the left bottom there is a download option to click, then some links appear for windows/mac/linux... click the windows one and you will get it. later if you buy a licence the same link applies, but the editor verifies your account on startup i.e. you need to be online on starting the editor.

you need visual studio to have. it has an inner code editor, but that uses VS for compilation.
© 2024 lite-C Forums