Unity 5 free

Posted By: JibbSmart

Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 04:22

But you're saying, "Unity has had a free version for a long time! This isn't news."

But I'm saying, Unity 5 is out NOW, and previously pro-only features are now in the free version, including render-to-texture, pp effects, the profiler... free!

Not bad!

And of course, I downloaded UE4 last night. And Source 2 is gonna be free, too. It's good to be in game dev!
Posted By: 3run

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 06:14

It's time to think about switching to "another" engine I guess...
Posted By: sivan

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 08:01

basically they extended the free features. a lot. anyway, great news for us to have the possibility to select from more free professional tools laugh
Posted By: gri

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 11:19

Yes great news about this engines the last days.

Here at the forum I see only "Zorro 1.28 available". So I have no hope for Acknex anymore.

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 11:27

Jcl said that he has no time for the engine in the next 5 months... maybe then he returns and fights back! grin
to be honest, beside such a competition little engines (not only our beloved one) have really reduced chance.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/04/15 12:58

Source Engine 2 is free too.
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/05/15 16:17

I use Unity Pro for a couple of years now, i've learned a lot about the engine and have done some commercial projects mostly archviz, and i'm doing a mobile game now. I have Pro for PC, MAC, etc... for $1500, and the free versions of the Android and iOS extensions (which are $1500 each), so far i'm publishing with the free mobile version, the drawback is the unity splash screen which is simple (black with the symbol and the logo Unity) no big deal at all, even cool...

Then lets talk about Unity 5 "free". They say its free for anyone to use commercially with no royalties... BUT this time the obligatory splash screen says: made with Unity Personal edition, which automatically makes your product unsellable to any potential client, sponsor, or end user... even if i upgrade my 4.5 license for $750, i have to pay $3000 more to avoid looking like a fuckin amateur.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/05/15 18:33

The only reasons to update are
Technology is too old (looking at A8 *.*)
Technology is no longer supported by the company's support system.
Technology has features you truly need.

I like many programs, but If I did yearly updates, I'd be broke. I have to earn enough to justify an upgrade and the new features have to justify the upgrade. Back when 3ds max published and upgrade every year, I never upgraded yearly. $3000+ I would need to earn 4 to 6 times the cost to justify the upgrade. However, as I am new to Unity jumping in here is the only real option.
@nuclear_winter if you can earn more with Unity 4.x then do.. Until your earned pay or feature absolute need justifies the upgrade. I am sure you can produce CandyCrush 20-50 with it and earn tons. i.e. It's still viable and indie developers earn on the strength of their creation not on cutting edge feature.
Maybe I am talking out of place; however, The current top indie games(1-4) probably can be made without an upgrade and their earnings will justify the upgrade. If the hobby is to be on the cutting edge of game tech, than you'll have one very expensive hobby.

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 04:11

@nuclear winter:
"Unsellable" is a bit of a stretch. That splash screen is not gonna stop your game from being good. If someone gets to the point where they see that splashscreen, they've started your game/application. They're not going to quit before seeing a bit more, and it's up to your game/application to help you avoid looking like an amateur, not a splashscreen.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 09:17

i also find the splash screen horrible. actually i even would prefer the old way of less features if it had no splash screen. laugh

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 11:23

can I use a splash screen with Unity logo in a game made with Gamestudio, to not to look so amateur? grin
Posted By: Iglarion

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 11:31

Who care wich engine we use, customer is only interested in the quality of the final product tongue
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 11:32

@sivan
you can put the Unity logo next to the gamestudio logo if you want that tongue
even tint the background black if your getting serious...
Posted By: nuclear_winter

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 14:34

@JibbSmart:

I've been working in Graphic design, industrial design, Archviz, product demos and small/educational games for a living for the past 15 years, 8 or 9 of which I've been a freelancer, i know exactly how to present to my clients and 'made with personal edition' is unsellable.

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/06/15 15:29

Unity 4.x released 2012 so your company budget (you!) should have had tons of time to build up and upgrade fund. The complaint seems to be that a software company changed their model of business to increase revues. Autodesk must have also been problematic for you when they changed as well.
Software companies change rules, design and business models. This is a fact of business. You accept and work with it, find and replace it, or build it yourself. Complaining is not part of a successful business plan.

"Sell me this pen." Jordan Belfort - The wolf of Wall street.

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/09/15 07:39

@Nuclear Winter: I'll take your word for it that that's the case in your particular industry. That's not an explanation, though.
Posted By: ambe

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/24/15 01:23

I shouldn't have left! this place is going down the tubes ! - I was such a fanboy, what is there to be done?!
Posted By: Superku

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/24/15 11:53

Why did you leave anyway!? :<
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/24/15 14:14

Less bitching, more doing, ya shitlordswhiny little bitches.
Posted By: ambe

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/25/15 23:37

Well i lost everything i was working on inn A7 and my licensing file. And i felt like turning over a new leaf, teach my self backup routines and focus on music for a while. Found my code again on my psp (of all places), I would really love for this Engine to get a second wind, I mean its big part of what made me who I am. I feel like we should try to get more people to come by and check it out, but its hard seeing as the other guys have big teams and marketing, and comprehensive free versions. - Maybe (in the spirit of what sid is saying) we should get together an make some real neat demos? push it to tha limit if you will ? Idk but there must be something an engaged community can do?

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/26/15 01:46

Everyone NOT classified as new here is able to code a demo. However we have and have had dick for free or volunteer artist, level workers and music/sound, ect. for over a decade.

Want to bring this engine back... Start a Save 3dgs social media campaign and recruit the personnel needed.

Face it no one has a passion for this engine but for this few...

BTW, like everything here. I'm sure jcl would love for you to do the work for them.
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: Unity 5 free - 03/27/15 07:48

@Sid: +1
© 2024 lite-C Forums