OSAKit?

Posted By: 3run

OSAKit? - 05/10/15 16:42

Anyone ever tried to use OSAKit? With or even without Acknex?

Greets
Posted By: sivan

Re: OSAKit? - 05/11/15 07:14

yes but no success. probably you can find the thread in this forum.
Posted By: Quad

Re: OSAKit? - 05/11/15 09:43

I remember "Yes, with success" like 5 years ago. Though, mainstream Chrome disabled NPAPI plugins(including java and unity player). Right now, only feasible way to serve games on browser is by exporting to html5/webgl without any plugins and/or asm.js/emscripten. AFAIK, ue4 and unity can do thisi

Re: OSAKit? - 05/11/15 10:12

That's pretty sad to hear.. I wanted to avoid using another engine, but it seems that it's the only way to go.

Thank you guys! My best regards
Posted By: Feindbild

Re: OSAKit? - 05/19/15 13:58

It's not a browser game if it requires me to install a plugin. Simple as that.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 07:22

thanks Quad for the info.
by the way I've never seen any 3dgs game running in browser, only failed attempts. but apparently it does not matter any more.
moreover, my youtube app in my tv also does not work because of recent tech changes by google.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 08:17

Originally Posted By: sivan
I've never seen any 3dgs game running in browser, only failed attempts.
I remember one running in a browser, very long time ago, you probably weren't even here yet. But I couldn't find the thread and I don't remember what they used to get it running in a browser.

Greets
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 10:22

I did some searching on the forums and found this link, it says you should not even use OSAKit cause its insecure:

http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=324379#Post324379

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 11:12

You probably mean this?
Originally Posted By: ventilator
3rd party solutions like osakit that use some kind of insecure activex trickery are no real alternative though.
Maybe it's not secure (and that's probably one of the reasons why Chrome disabled NPAPI plugin). But I can tell you this tongue
Originally Posted By: jcl
I'm no expert in OSA Kit either, but I know that several users have used it for games on their websites - maybe someone else can help here?

If not, we'll put up some Gamestudio demo using the OSA Kit, which we intended anyway in the next time.
Or this
Originally Posted By: TerraSame
Have you looked at the "OSA Kit" system?
I suppose it's possable it may help you with your quest...

I have tried this system and it does work well and it's easy to combine a compiled 3dgs project so the project runs through your browser. It does have some advantages over simply downloading a zipped folder... etc...etc...
In any case... Have a look...
http://www.osakit.com/
laugh
Or even this
Originally Posted By: Quad
i also tried some time ago it's pretty easy and requires few simple steps
http://www.quadraxas.com/osakit/a7osakit.html
So it actually works (or worked), and people were satisfied with the results so far.

BTW, I guess example which I've seen before was probably this one:
osakit is pretty nice. here is a osakit-a7 commerical demonstration using template project(10 mb download, seems like osakit pro version has streaming):

http://quadraxas.com/osakit/a7osakit.html
But I'm not sure, cause I've thought that I've seen it before I've made my current account (in 2009).

But anyway, I think it's better to make your games another engine (that supports multiplatforming), if you aiming to publish browser game. Even unity is better (with it's plugin), cause people do hear about it, and they know UNITY game engine, and that there are dozen of games made with it. And they can understand, that installing this simply one plugin (for unity) will allow them to play dozen of games over the web, so it won't be like installing plugin just for one game..

Recently I came across 'GameMaker Studio', and I've found out that it's scripting looks very familiar to old c-script, here is an example:
Posted By: MasterQ32

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 11:31

Seems to be ECMAScript or similar

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 11:36

Originally Posted By: MasterQ32
Seems to be ECMAScript or similar
Maybe it looks similar, I'm not familiar with ECMAScript, but here a quote from wiki:
Originally Posted By: GameMakerStudioWiki
Game Maker Language (GML) is the primary scripting language that is interpreted similarly to Java's Just-In-Time compilation used in GameMaker, which is usually significantly slower than compiled languages such as C++ or Delphi.

The syntax of GML borrows aspects from other languages such as C, C++ and JavaScript, giving it some syntax features of object-oriented programming but is not fully featured in that custom structs and classes are not possible. GML is an unusual language in that it only has two types, binary-safe (prior to Game Maker 8.1) strings and double-precision floating-point ("real") values, with complex data structures having to be referenced using integral float-point handles.

Version 1.2 introduced LLVM or, in GameMaker's context, the GameMaker Language Compiler (GMLC). The GMLC first turns GML code into C++ code, which is then compiled via Clang. This boosts the performance for logic-heavy games but does little for graphic-heavy games.

Anyway, I guess for those who want to switch to another engine (from Acknex) and don't really want to go deeper into C# and Java, it seems to be the easiest option. Plus there is multiplatforming etc.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 12:02

as I know unity5 requires no more plugin installed (similarly to ue4)

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 12:04

as I know unity5 requires no more plugin installed (similarly to ue4)
yeah, I guess that's what Quad said earlier
Right now, only feasible way to serve games on browser is by exporting to html5/webgl without any plugins and/or asm.js/emscripten. AFAIK, ue4 and unity can do thisi

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 12:16

Originally Posted By: 3run

Anyway, I guess for those who want to switch to another engine (from Acknex) and don't really want to go deeper into C# and Java, it seems to be the easiest option. Plus there is multiplatforming etc.
, ty for the info. Excluding the multiplatform features, it looks at first glance like a downgrade on many things though compared to gs3d, maybe I'm wrong.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 13:47

Originally Posted By: Reconnoiter
, ty for the info. Excluding the multiplatform features, it looks at first glance like a downgrade on many things though compared to gs3d, maybe I'm wrong.
well without going deeper into details you can clearly see it's main advantage over the Acknex, it's not dead wink

Edit: btw, I think that this engine is a good example of rebranding, just compare their old product (outdated 'gamemaker') and the new one, in my opinion they've made big step into the right direction. It would be really nice to see conitec doing the same thing, new webpage, new features, well everything brand new... But that's not going to happen (at least for a couple of next years I guess).

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 15:13

That's a good point. And if they can do that, so can the mighty JCL. Eat your hearts out Unity and Epic grin .
Posted By: FBL

Re: OSAKit? - 05/20/15 22:24

by the way I've never seen any 3dgs game running in browser, ...

http://firoball.de/jdosbox/index.htm grin

You just need to allow your Java to be activated on this web address in your Java Security settings (Control Panel -> Java -> Security -> Edit sitelist). Works also in Chrome.

(But is A3 grin )

edit: too bad - just updated my Chrome and indeed it's not working anymore frown
Firefox still allows execution, though.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/21/15 07:15

okay. I thought of A8 games in browser. there was a long thread about it, my trials also failed. but it does not really matter now, there are other engines offering it without any trouble.

Re: OSAKit? - 05/21/15 07:50

@Firoball: by the way really nice game grin finally I could run it... wow, from 1998.
© 2024 lite-C Forums