Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard

Posted By: FBL

Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/09/16 21:04

http://www.theverge.com/2016/2/9/10948580/amazon-game-engine-lumberyard

sort of... free..
Posted By: sivan

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/09/16 21:52

apparently another great tool. based on cryengine, but including engine source. https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/
Posted By: Quad

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/09/16 22:51

of all the companies out there...
amazon tops epic on licensing of an AAA engine.
Posted By: Steempipe

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/10/16 19:17

Looks interesting... Funny thing to me is that 3 days ago I said to my Wife, "I can't believe Amazon hasn't tried cornering the game dev/supply market yet." Here they are...

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/11/16 09:26

hehe, you should be hired by a business plan prediction department in the gaming industry grin

I think, the guys at Amazon really want to sell their web services, and badly need games for their cheap console-like set-top-box called Fire TV...

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/11/16 22:25

Quote:
57.10 Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

https://aws.amazon.com/service-terms/

grin grin

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/12/16 08:49

cool, freely can be used to control weapons in case of a zombie apocalypse grin
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/12/16 10:30

Originally Posted By: sivan
cool, freely can be used to control weapons in case of a zombie apocalypse grin
, Lumberjack and the zombie apocalypse cool

ps: Amazon has surprisingly quite a bit of synergies with Lumberyard and their other products (their web services, Twitch, their stores etc.). Will be interesting to see if they can compete with Unreal and Unity.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/12/16 11:12

one funny thing is that Epic started to integrate Twitch, but the Twitch SDK was withdrawn not a long time ago, so it has been stopped...

imo AWS integration is cool if you don't want to maintain your own server park. and selling games at Amazon could be something like Steam integration, but probably easier to implement networking stuff thanks to the integration with AWS.

but the workflow is the same as of Cryengine, you need Max or Maya, and maybe Photoshop too. but the audio and GUI system are custom, which is a step forward (as I remember CryEngine uses something for audio that requires a license, and the UI stuff is Flash/Angelscript, but not for sure, I checked it a long time ago).

to be honest I'm currently satisfied with UE4, except the high hardware requirements, but this lumberthingie has even higher.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/12/16 12:47

I never tried Cryengine myself, I can see that its main disadvantage would be to set-up/learn interface and workflow/toolset. And probably documentation too. I always saw Cryengine purely for AAA companies, Unity for indies and some AAA, and Unreal somewhere between. But perhaps Lumberyard will attract indie lumberjacks, only jack knows.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/12/16 15:03

about 2 years ago I bought a CryEngine book very cheap (< 3 USD), and tried the SDK (it was free at that time), but was unable to set up the asset pipeline, even after I installed some software without very clean licensing background (of course I removed them afterwards). from the programming side Lua seems to be a bit annoying interim step, the book mentioned it as much slower than C++, so better to minimize its usage, just link the C++ stuff via Lua. probably fine and fast for prototyping.

personally I liked the editor, but did nothing deep. and the lack of documentation and tutorials kept me to stay with 3dgs, and then started with UE4 immediately when it was released, whose programming was also difficult for me in the beginning (and was undocumented). it requires a lot of reading and planning before moving on, but recently I have started to enjoy it laugh as I remember Unity3 was much easier to start with, but the Pro price of 3-4 was too high, and 5 came too late after UE4 to try.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/13/16 09:15

I read a book about game engine development some time ago, and they integrated LUA as scripting option.

The main idea behind this was that you can change things on the fly without need for recompiling (and even restarting I think).

In the end every engine needs some tiem and work to get into. At some point suddenly you understand the workflow and it will be a lot easier to continue. Especially with a well documented engine used by many people.
Google -> Stackoverflow -> Refactor grin
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/14/16 09:53

nice business oriented dicision from amazon , they are so under rated .

yeah lua is pretty much the commonly accepted scripting integration among engines , and other types of applications .

in game engines it is mostly used for small scripts where the requirement of said script is not computationaly expensive , the usual approach is to keep your main code in languages such as c++ , and only option to use lua in engines for small operations .

the last engine i downloaded that i thought is going to rock the world ,was havok's project anarchy , which "concluded" a while back , i have to say i expected more from those guys regarding the lack of proffesionality on the release of project anarchy , i could not even find working links for forums or such , and there were some unexpected oddities during and after installation .

havok released quite a good version of the engine though ,also very component based and such but quite complicated when it comes to project setup / building and coding .

seems like everyone wants to jump in the mobile support pool but not all jump very gracefully.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/15/16 13:51

Originally Posted By: sivan
hehe, you should be hired by a business plan prediction department in the gaming industry grin

LOL!

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/15/16 13:57

No doubt Amazon's product will do well. Amazon has pretty much unlimited resources to develop, fund, support, and market anything. Much bigger pool of talent and $$$$ to draw from.

I'm surprised they didn't initially pursue buying out 3Dgamestudio.... Since it so bug free and user friendly.

Re: Amazon launches "free" Lumberyard - 02/16/16 12:28

Quote:
No doubt Amazon's product will do well. Amazon has pretty much unlimited resources to develop, fund, support, and market anything. Much bigger pool of talent and $$$$ to draw from.
, exactly, they are so big, and could use their products/amazon for advertising aswell

Originally Posted By: Steempipe
I'm surprised they didn't initially pursue buying out 3Dgamestudio.... Since it so bug free and user friendly.
, interesting thought if it would been done in ~2011-2013, though they would have needed to replace Lite-C or heavily upgrade it plus things like add support for other platforms which is no minor deal (I quess), and ofcourse upgrade/replace the toolset (WED/MED).
© 2024 lite-C Forums