CryEngine V is free

Posted By: sivan

CryEngine V is free - 03/20/16 14:15

CryTek apparently wants back some users, so made their current engine free and royalty free, with C# support, but they offer a couple of things only for money (e.g. tutorials, technical support), and the asset workflow is the same unfriendly. I don't think it is a good choice for indies or small devs, beside e.g. Unity or UE4...
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: CryEngine V is free - 03/21/16 11:56

Lol, first Lumberyard and now this. Perhaps this one is interesting for companies, that also seems to be their best customer group for profit (/consultancy work). C# support is nice (especially for some companies). Though for indies they still lack one the more important features I think (easy workflow and good documentation).
I think Lumberyard is a better deal though and has more potential to grow (Amazon has enough money), besides the fact that you may use Lumberyard in a zombie apocylapse. grin
Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: CryEngine V is free - 03/21/16 13:19

I even consider UE4 to be too documented badly - don't know how it'd feel to work with CryEngine V then wink Nevertheless, it is a move in the right direction.
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: CryEngine V is free - 03/21/16 14:24

i would love to work with cryengine and udk , only problem with cryengine is (last time i looked) its pipeline for assets starts at file support which needs some hefty tools , i would certainly have used it if it had broader file format support back then..

currently my only goal is sticking with unity until i need something more ..

c# is easy to get in to , the downside is however , code protection frown
Posted By: sivan

Re: CryEngine V is free - 03/21/16 15:53

I also failed with CryEngine two years ago at asset import pipeline which is apparently remained similar. and messing with Lua and xml files made things even worse.

UDK was not an easy tool too, but UE4 is much easier in every aspects. okay its C++ related docs is not full and not good, but you can always jump into the source (at least headers are well commented), and you can find plenty of information and help at the forum or answerhub or wiki. After a few months I started to understand and really love the way how you can make the core in C++, then expose things to be editable in the editor, or access from Blueprints, and only if needed...
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: CryEngine V is free - 03/21/16 16:13

thing is though , with unreal you have a more multi genre capable engine , whereas cryengine was initially fps orientated , but i guess theres not much of a real limitation with it as it may sound .

both are very good high quality engines , strange how the indie explosion changed things so much , there were times we could only drule about these engines.
© 2024 lite-C Forums