Space Game Needs Modeler(s)

Posted By: darkfrog

Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 02:30

I'm the main developer on a MMORPG set in space that is almost ready to release the combat demo, but our models are crap. I'm looking for someone that is interested in working with us to get a couple ship models, a missile, and a couple other minor models together for the combat demo.

The teaser site that shows you absolutely nothing about the game (because the models look like trash we don't want to any screenshots off yet obviously) can be seen here: http://www.galaxiesbeyond.com

Ideally I'd like to find a very good modeler that is willing to work with us all the way to a production game. If you need proof that there's actually a real game and it's not just some kid that has delusions of grandeur I can provide you with a playable demo.

Please either drop a message directly to me in here or reply to this post if you're interested.

Thanks!
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 08:17

i`m interested, is it a paid job? and what sort of polycount did you have in mind?
Posted By: Chasarsis

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 13:29

I'm also interested, but I have the same question about it being a paid job.

Examples of my work can be found here:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/642546/page/0/fpart/2/vc/1
and on my site:
http://rf037.aisites.com

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 13:49

Well, the long-term goal is to find someone that will stick with this project and help develop for the final version. The idea of this game is to always provide free accounts, but you pay a subscription rate to become a "citizen". This will hopefully always keep our servers full, but if you use a free account you will be drastically limited in what you can do.

For this combat demo it would not be paid, but if you're a good artist then we'll definitely want to keep you for the full game which will be paid.

To be clear, this isn't actually written with GameStudio at all, but from scratch in Java.

jigalypuff, we have a system that loads four different levels of models ranging in performance quality, "low", "normal", "high", and "ultra". Low would probably be around 300 - 500, normal around 500 - 750, high 750 - 1000, and ultra between 2000 - 5000.

jigalypuff, do you have a portfolio I could see?

chasarsis, your portfolio looks very good, but I'm only seeing character modeling. Though that will definitely be something we need for the final version of the game, ship modeling is our immediate need. Do you have any examples related to this?

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 15:20

nope i have no portfolio, the majority of my ship modeling is for mods for startrek games, useually between 500 and 2000 polys depending on the ship type, createing new ships from scratch is easy enough though, here`s a few models i made for my mods
http://img259.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img259/8263/1187536593t0q.smil
Posted By: aztec

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 15:22

I can do something like this

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 15:37

jigalypuff, those look good. What modeling software do you use?

Well, how opposed would you guys be to creating a ship model explicitly for this project and the best one will be used for the combat demo? The combat demo is just multiplayer dogfighting where everyone flies the same ship model (ideally with different colored skins). Whoever has the best model I have a few other items that need to be done. However, based on what I've seen thus far, this is a great place to find modelers and once the combat demo has been released I'll be needing more than just the one modeler so even if I don't decide to use a model for the combat demo I very well might want to use it for the full game.

Does that sound reasonable? The ship just needs to be a basic fighter ship. In my head I think of it as sort of like the X-Wings from Star Wars but with the wings closed.
Posted By: aztec

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 15:51

Do we have to do the skin ourselfs too?

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 15:59

so you want a fighter type of ship, will that be the only type or would you require other ship types in the future? such as corvettes, frigates and the like? i am willing to do one ship for now, it`ll be a few days however.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/19/07 17:20

A model that has one texture is fine for now and depending on how the model is exported I could modify the texturing myself to give several colors of "skins" for the ship.

Lots of other ships will be required for the full game as well as character modeling (when you are on a planet or space station you can walk around in a FPS mode).

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/23/07 21:49

Any updates from anyone on this?

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/24/07 17:03

i have made a start on a mesh, sorry been very busy the last few days. be another couple before i`m done. here`s the current progress.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/24/07 21:04

That looks very good. Ideally the ship should also be able to fly in a planet with gravity as well, so it should probably be a little more like a plane. Also, maneuverability is crucial for this ship because of it being a "light fighter".

It does look very nice so far though, I'm really excited to see the final version.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 08/31/07 01:02

Anyone got anything more to show? I'm getting closer and closer to having the combat demo ready to release and it's making me nervous I have no models.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/04/07 15:29

sorry max crashed and corrupted the file, i slapped another mesh togather and threw a quick texture on it, if you want it it`s yours.

http://img403.imageshack.us/slideshow/player.php?id=img403/7686/1188919397m7s.smil

Posted By: sueds

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 03:51

there is an example untextured of the ship you asked me to make.

maybe tommorrow or thursday the skinning will be ended.

anyway it's a 1k poly model and the render is made on lightwave.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 18:44

Very nice...I like them both. I've submitted them both to the rest of the team to get some input.

jigalypuff, the only thing I don't like about the ship you did was the part surrounding the outside of the cockpit. How hard would it be to modify that? Seems like it would also induce a lot of drag in a gravity system.

sueds, I really like that model...very close to what I had in mind. I'm really excited to see what it looks like textured.

Personally I think I'd like to use both of those models in-game, but let me get some feedback and I'll give you an update. Thanks very much for taking the time to make these.
Posted By: sueds

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 19:45

do you really want two modelers ? Jygalypuff is also good I think one of us could take care of it.
where do you want to get some feedback ?

Anyway I'm going to finish the ship but If you have too choose take jygalypuff. Is more into ship that I am.

It my first one one and he have plenty.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 19:53

ya i was`nt to happy about that myself so i remodeled it, it would cause drag i suppose but the f-302 from sgi has a similer cockpit lol.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 20:54

We'll definitely be needing at LEAST two modelers for the full game...we're going to need a ton of ship models, weapon modules, missiles, additional ship modules, planets, space stations, asteroids, and a ton of other specific items in the end.

For now we're trying to focus on getting a completely functional and fun combat demo (dogfighting without MMO features) as something of a proof of concept, but also to focus on making a strong fighting aspect of the game since you'll be spending so much time in the ship it is really the core of the whole game.

I wouldn't have a problem having both of these models for people to choose from when they start the game up for the combat demo.

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/05/07 21:50

what format do you want it in btw?

Re: Space Game Needs Modeler(s) - 09/06/07 01:02

Send me a private message with your preferred contact info (I have various IM clients if that would be preferred) and we'll discuss further details. Depending on your level of interest I can give you access to our private forum so you can help as we get closer to releasing the combat demo and beyond.

Let me know.
© 2024 lite-C Forums