Paid work offered for artist and programmer

Posted By: Foamhead

Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/03/08 15:30

I am an indy game designer and I am looking to put together a demo/mock-up of my game to show around. I am in need of one person who can create graphics (models, textures and animation) as well as a programmer who is proficiant in c++. I will be using 3D Game Studio so experience with this engine is an asset.

Only answer if you are serious please.

Edit: It has come to my attention that many of you are living in Europe. Unfortunately the current exchange rate for Canadian dollars and the Euro prohibits me from doing business with anyone in Europe. I simply cannot pay anyone in this area the rates that are being asked.

designerman@live.ca
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 14:13

If want people to help you, you should probably post pictures or at least a story that you have come up with. Now I have no idea how experienced you are in making games, or if you have none at all (which is my guess because this is your first post), but if it is, you should start small, make a small level and get an idea of how things work in the engine, and then keep trying bigger things. I am not trying to bash you or anything, but you really won't get people to help you otherwise.

Hope this helps,
DoofGuy

P.S. you should also say how much you are going to pay for people to help you.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 14:32

I don't offer payment for "hobby" games, nor would I actually give away my commercial ideas in a public forum.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 15:01

Originally Posted By: Foamhead
I don't offer payment for "hobby" games, nor would I actually give away my commercial ideas in a public forum.

Lol, well everybody has ideas, that's the easy part... Basically it sounds like you've got a game idea and want others to make it for you. Am I uhm about right?

No offense, but you should really show something of what you've made or done so far as designer. Just having an idea is not enough.

Also, if your ideas are truly yours and original, then ultimately you will have a copyright over it. Making sure not to spill to much of the details of your idea is usually a good idea, but you can't work with people and not say what your intentions are,

Cheers
Posted By: Slin

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 15:08

Doof_Guy and PHeMoX, he is offering payment so if there is an experienced programmer or modeller who has time to do it, he can contact Foamhead and will most probably get more information about the project and the payment. So the one working on it will know quite well what it is about without the idea being made public.
You should definatly post all the information if it is a free project but as well as payment is offered I donīt see a need for making everything public.

And sorry for beeing off topic, I just had to write this...

Edit: What you write in your post further down is right blade, but as you say, the worker has to "wow" his boss and not the other way around... The boss is usually the one who pays.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 17:51

My expertise is in rapid prototyping of games foamhead. If you give me a pm with a little better explaination of what needs to be done, I can give you an estimate.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 21:06

The cynicism on this forum is making me rapidly regret my decision to offer paying work here. First of all you can't copyright "look and feel" for interactive software so there is a vested interest in not revealing anything in public. Secondly if this was just a whim or whatever I would not be offering to pay people. If you aren't interested then the simple answer is to say nothing and move along to the next thread. If I were asking people to work for free then you would have a valid point about me "showing off" my work. However since I am paying people and releasing this as a commercial product I do not have to "wow you" or sell you on my design.
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 21:29

Quote:
I do not have to "wow you" or sell you on my design.

Then no one will want to join, even proffesionals have to 'wow' there bosses to make the game, and if you want people to work for you, there needs to be something to intence them, not just money.

I'm done, and no i do not want to work for you.

Maybe telling people what the project is, instead of just saying you are making one.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 22:58

actually blade, for many people money is enough. its a job. does someone at mcDonalds have to wow you with how the grill works to get you to work for them? or is it that paycheck you get every 2 weeks?

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 23:05

But they get more than money, they get training, medical insurance (in UK anyways) and more, and this is different, people won't want to work on a game if they don't get told anything about it until they join, and don't get anything out of it , i wouldnt want to, would you?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/04/08 23:26

Originally Posted By: Foamhead
The cynicism on this forum ....

-off topic:
yeah. the high cynicism is because of that people come and go to tihs forum and say similiar things (paid or not) and most of them turn out to be a absolute beginner(no experience on game industry etc.)

-topic:
but i think that since the job is paid, she/he doesn't have to "wow" people to get them on his/her team. But i also think a general info about game would be cool(genre,target age, estimated development time etc.)

good luck with your project.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 00:06

Originally Posted By: Blade28081991
But they get more than money, they get training, medical insurance (in UK anyways) and more, and this is different, people won't want to work on a game if they don't get told anything about it until they join, and don't get anything out of it , i wouldnt want to, would you?

You mean other then the two+ grand i'm offering plus sales percentages?

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 00:11

You didn't specify a price before, or anything like that , so no i don't mean that :P

Try telling people what the project might be about, what type of game etc......
Posted By: nalan

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 00:49

If you wanna somebody for help,You have to express your game in details.Release some pictures is the most effective way i think. smile
Posted By: ryangregory

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 01:42

Hi Foamhead, I can make some models for you for reasonable prices. I can model and texture almost anything, but am still working on my animating skills. contact me if your interested, PM or email.
Some examples of my work can be seen at www.ryans3dart.weebly.com.

Cheers, Ryan.
Posted By: christian

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 01:45

Why in the world would he post his game? He is offering a paid position for a freelancer. He doesn't reveal the details until the nondisclosure papers are signed. At this point the freelancer must prove he can do the job and foamhead must be able to prove that he can pay for it. You guys all sound like your working opensource hobbie games. wink

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 03:43

christian is right. People like me who do this for a living, are happy to discuss details in a private arena after contact, not having it all laid out in the first post.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 15:14

But people like to know what type of game at least it is, without having to make extra contact.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 15:21

"without having to make extra contact"

Youīll be surprised, because in business you wonīt get _any_ important information without making an extra contract.
That means a "non-disclosure agreement" (NDA) between you and your customer.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/05/08 22:03

I never said tell the whole story, but he hasnt even said what genre the game is.

All i'm saying (which a lot of people have already said) is that he should provide more information.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 00:59

"...what genre the game is"

This is an important information in business, without a NDA you wonīt get any information about the genre.
At least when it comes to a professional project.
Take it or leave it. wink

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 18:19

It was only an opinion, and you took that quote out of context, if you want to be like that it's your choice, although lot's of people have already said that they also believe it would be better to post some information, take it how you want, but we are all allowed to express our opinions.

Quote:

"...what genre the game is"

This is an important information in business, without a NDA you wonīt get any information about the genre.
At least when it comes to a professional project.

If you really think that telling people the genre will affect sales or anything like that , you must be dilludedas knowing the genre does not give any of the story away, or anything that can be stolen.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 20:01

This behavior is just a fact in business. Not an opinion.
There are exceptions of course, but exceptions donīt reflect the standard.

"I never said tell the whole story, but he hasnt even said what genre the game is."

Itīs just offending to dictate such "peanuts" to a possible customer. Insteat you should be curious about his project.

To often possible customers are offended whe they read such posts. They even donīt get any serious answers!

If you are the only person that answers, it could be the beginning of a very good business.
If I had the time, I would ask him for further information.

Btw.: I make my life from such "vague" jobposts. wink

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 20:06

Lolz, totally ignored what i just said. Anyways if you don't want to tell any one any details thats your choice (and yes it is a choice), i am not to bothered i just wanted to state my opinion.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 20:45

"There are exceptions of course, but exceptions donīt reflect the standard."

As Iīve said. Itīs a choice.
And itīs offending to critizize a possible customer, because he made just a choice.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/06/08 23:00

(sigh) The best fit is simulation however no game of the type I am making has been done before and putting it in one genre gives a false impression. To state it plainly this is a very original never been done before idea and very little can be described without giving away the idea.
Posted By: Irradic

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/08/08 10:23

There is actually vital information for a graphic artist. The genre and the name of the main character...is information I don't need. But information about the scope/size of the project are vital for me to decide if I can commit to a project or not.
In order to assess if I can give it a go, I would have to know
what and how much is expected of me. Will I be working on a single level demo ? Or maybe a small-medium sized game ? 2D or 3D, level design, character modeling, textures, animation...Maybe all of it. I can't blindly commit to a project. Size of a project does matter, specially if you are not getting paid on a monthly basis for that specific project.
We exchanged emails, but before I could agree I wanted to know these informations...But the correspondence ended there.
Which is quiet unfortunate, I was fairly interested.
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/08/08 15:35

If your still looking for people, I'm a highly experienced programmer thats been on this forum, and working with GS for years.

guitarmaniac511 (at) yahoo.com

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 01:58

Originally Posted By: Irradic
There is actually vital information for a graphic artist. The genre and the name of the main character...is information I don't need. But information about the scope/size of the project are vital for me to decide if I can commit to a project or not.
In order to assess if I can give it a go, I would have to know
what and how much is expected of me. Will I be working on a single level demo ? Or maybe a small-medium sized game ? 2D or 3D, level design, character modeling, textures, animation...Maybe all of it. I can't blindly commit to a project. Size of a project does matter, specially if you are not getting paid on a monthly basis for that specific project.
We exchanged emails, but before I could agree I wanted to know these informations...But the correspondence ended there.
Which is quiet unfortunate, I was fairly interested.

It's possible that my e-mailed reply didn't go through for some reason. When you stated that you wanted to be paid via paypal that raised some pretty red flags to me. But I do think you have alot of talent.
Posted By: RAFU

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 05:54

Why would paypal raise red flags?
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 12:59

Paypal is just fine if you ask me o_O

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 13:41

My previous clients actually never complained about PayPal. I'm cooperating with Dexsoft-Games, and the payment is going through PayPal as well. If you would have asked for alternative payment options I could have offered you bank wire transfer as well.
Anyway, it's up to you what's acceptable for you and what's not.
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 14:04

hey guys, calm down here. He IS right after all. If he doesnt want to specify anything that is his good right to do so. And if he doesnt want Paypal, it's fine. He has to pay the bank wire transfer costs anyway! And if you don't have a bank account, I would be worried if you are in the legal age to work in the first place wink

If you haven't found a designer yet, I would gladly apply so, though no organic modelling.

You can find a short, portofolio here:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=226624&page=1

if you are intrested please send me a PM and we can discuss further from there.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 14:41

Originally Posted By: RAFU
Why would paypal raise red flags?

Because Paypal is an untraceable and leaves little to no recourse if anything should go wrong or the person should decided to just bugger off without doing what I paid him for.

Just to be clear I am absolutely not implying or accusing him or anyone here of being dishonest at all.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 15:46

Quote:
Because Paypal is an untraceable and leaves little to no recourse if anything should go wrong or the person should decided to just bugger off without doing what I paid him for.

I think most of us understand where you are coming from.
I'm taking precautions as well.
Personally I'm requiring a down payment before starting
work on a project. Just to make sure that the client
actually has money to pay the commission, and if he should
back out I will have a small compensation for the wasted time.
The unpaid models would then end up in the shop. But as I said, so far I have never had any problems regarding payments.
It's quiet the opposite, some clients even donated on my website after the commissions were completed.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/09/08 17:04

By the way, our posts here are rediculous. Why didn't any moderator give us any warning about offtopic posts, and remove them? I have only seen one correct post here, the one from lostclimate.

I regret posting this (probably bringing up a new issue AGAIN) and I do feel bad about posting my above useless post.

Re: Paid work offered for artist and programmer - 10/31/08 03:00

I just wish to announce that this job has been filled. Thanks to everyone who responded, even if I didn't feel we were a good match I still really appreciate all of you who answered.
© 2024 lite-C Forums