[not paid]A7 Tux Racer

Posted By: Puppeteer

[not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/11/09 15:48

I am currently working on converting Tux Racer to lite c and i could use some help.

The main part is to transfrom scripts to lite c it is relatively easy but a lot work since i want the physics to work just like in the real game.
I am also planning to add a multiplayer feature to the game.
(And i dont know if i will use Anet or the original gs multiplayer functions [i think gs is better since i am planning to release it open source])

The original tux racer game is under the gnu general public license which means you are allowed to do pretty much everything with the code/resources from the game.

About the game:
Originally Posted By: Tux Racer site
Tux Racer lets you take on the role of Tux the Linux Penguin as he races down steep, snow-covered mountains. Enter cups and compete to win the title! Tux Racer includes a variety of options for gameplay, including the ability to race courses in fog, at night, and under high winds.

At the moment hummel is making the terrain shader for me. And i could use some people who are willing to translate the code with me and someone who makes an animated tux model.

As i said before i plan to release the finished game to the community open source and i am also thinking of adding an online highscore system and a sql server list with online high scores... but first there is some code to convert :-P

Thanks

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/11/09 19:43

Okay the modelling job is filled.
But i still need someone for some simple animations of 5 (or less if you dont have too much time) models and could use some help with the conversion of the scripts.
Posted By: amy

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 00:15

Quote:
The original tux racer game is under the gnu general public license which means you are allowed to do pretty much everything with the code/resources from the game.
No, the GPL means that you have to keep the code under the GPL and the GPL can't really be used with closed source engines since everything you link to has to be open source too. But probably nobody really cares anyway...

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 11:06

Originally Posted By: GNU General Public License
The GNU General Public License does not permit incorporating your program into proprietary programs. If your program is a subroutine library, you may consider it more useful to permit linking proprietary applications with the library. If this is what you want to do, use the GNU Lesser General Public License instead of this License.

Doesnt this mean i can use the lesser license?

And the license also allows me to ask the tux racer team for license changes.
Posted By: amy

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 11:12

No, you can't change a GPL project to LGPL if you aren't the holder of the copyright.

Yes, better ask the Tux Racer team. Maybe they don't care. Who knows.
Posted By: Quad

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 11:41

i dont think they will care. plus it's not translating/converting scripts it's mostly rewriting all code.

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 11:43

Yeah that's right. But i want to use the original textures and menu graphics so i better ask them ^^
Posted By: flits

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 14:25

is it from c-script to lite-c

and what physics engine do you use?
Posted By: Quad

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 15:01

@flits: no tuxracer is a game that comes installed by defasult wth some linux distrubitons also can be downloaded from: http://tuxracer.sourceforge.net/download.html

for windows and linux. it's open source licensed under GPL

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 16:46

its from c to lite-c
i will translate the original tux racer physics functions to lite-c
so no real physics engine ^^
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 16:57

I don't mean to be discouraging, but why are you doing this exactly? The only people who play this game are more than content to play it on Linux, which is kind of what it was designed for.

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 17:26

because this game is superspecialawesome and would be even more superspecialawesome with a multiplayer mode and because i am so superspecialawesome that i can finish it in one month and i think some other people would think it is superspecialawesome because they can look at the superspecialawesome source code and learn superspecialawesome stuff from it.
superspecialawesome isn't it?
Posted By: FJS

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 17:45

because this game is superspecialawesome and would be even more superspecialawesome with a multiplayer mode and because i am so superspecialawesome that i can finish it in one month and i think some other people would think it is superspecialawesome because they can look at the superspecialawesome source code and learn superspecialawesome stuff from it.
superspecialawesome isn't it?

--- JAWOLLJA ... Freude!
Ziehst Du eine Gegenüberstellung in Betracht,

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 18:00

Was für eine Gegenüberstellung?
Was meinst du? grin
Posted By: HeelX

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/12/09 21:05

Ich finde superspecialawesome'e Projekt echt voll geil! :-)

Nein, ehrlich, zieh das durch, das bringt die Community weiter!

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/13/09 01:23

Quote:

oooooookkkkkk...

You don't care to add any other "superspecialawesome" features that would give this project a flavor of its own, then? Or do you have some ideas other than adding multiplayer that you're just not telling us? >_> <_< >_>
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/13/09 04:03

like black and white mode?

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/13/09 06:16

uhm i am thinking of adding stuff but at first i have create general gameplay and a mapfile reader grin After this is done i have to choose wether i have enough time for additional features or not.
If you have any suggestions what those features could be like feel free to post here (even we are still in the jobs offered forum here wink )

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 11/13/09 16:19

Well, for starters you could have other bonus items, attack items like mario kart (useful for multiplayer mode), and computer players to name a few
Posted By: janerwac13

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 20:20

Can i have some files ?
I want to make a tux racing game, too.
for education.

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 20:39

Okay, if you think it will help you...
Do you mean the script or the ressources?

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 20:58

ressources !

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 21:05

Ich möchte gern die Modelle und landschaften, Musik des Spiels.
Den rest möchte ich selbst schreiben.

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 21:10

Hm i dont really know if you need our resources i wont provide any script yet. You could download the source of the original Tux Racer including textures and stuff like that since all our terrains are runtime generated.
Also i would not really like to give away some new models yet but i could provide a standard tux model if you want. This project is btw. far from dead even though i havent worked on it in the last 8 months (because of my Abitur and stuff) i will finish the project in the next few weeks. As i may said before Hummel did a great job on the shaders and i hope everyone will like our christmas release.
I still have problems getting the multiplayer working (I already have 1mb of code -.- ) but i think i can do it till then.
For all of you guys who are curious about how it looks here is a sneak preview about the project:
Click to reveal..

Are you really sure you want to see that?

EDIT: Okay ich poste hier gleich links zu den Original Tux Racer Ressourcen + eines meiner Tux modelle.
EDIT2: Okay here is the model: *Click*
And here are the other files you need: *Click*
EDIT3: Note that all those files are released under the Gnu General Public License

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 21:28

Danke !
Darf ich das Tux model für mein Tux projekt benutzen ?

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 21:35

Of course if you use it under the terms of the gnu license.

Re: [not paid]A7 Tux Racer - 08/26/10 21:39

Thanks!
© 2024 lite-C Forums