Open Source Community Project

Posted By: sPlKe

Open Source Community Project - 06/21/06 02:28

I figured, this Forum might be the best place to post this. This is basically a request, isnīt it?

My idea was an open source community project, where everyone can add a few things or leave whenever he wants. This project can be downloaded for everyone and everyone can add a bit.
The basic idea behind this poject is to push A6. Because of that the game should not be some shooter type game, but something unique and a nice challange for everyone.
Also, everyone can learn from it. Here are a few rules:

-The files contributed may not be used in any other project except the creator states so
-The project must be kept on track. contributions must make sense (Not like placing a MG in a medieval game)
-Your contribution must be in standard A6 format and ready to use. No half-done works or works that need a special Plugin (If you want to use Sphere, contribute two versions, a standard and a sphere one please)
-Everyones idea is apeciated. However, do not be angry if it does not make the cut
-NO-ONE decides here but the community
-Everyone can come and go with his contributions as he pleases

Now, i think we are ready to begin. First, we need to decide what kind of game we will make.

I am for Medieval/Fantasy Action Adventure in (you guessed it) Anime Style (TOONSHADER^^)

Anyone interested?
If not, just let this Topic die^^
Posted By: LordRathan

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/21/06 04:05

*hehe* Good luck.

EDIT: You may grab the idea, perhaps someone will help YOU.
Posted By: ISG

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/21/06 17:16

Not to crush your spirits or anything, but there have been about 3 other Community projects recently - all of which were unsuccessful in the end. Community projects aren't structured very well at all, and leaves each individual with less motivation to continue contributing. The easiest thing to do is to form a small dedicated team who can contribute at a consistent rate.

From watching others try this route, I am just advising you what the outcome will most likely be. Add in the factor of how many Indie developers actually complete a game as a team, and the percentages are even less for a community project.

I hope to see the best for this nonetheless, good luck!

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/21/06 19:06

It was just an idea anyway. At least I got the structure right^^
Posted By: Marky Mark

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/21/06 21:51

Youre saying people dont have enough motivation... You're the perfect example ^^

I'll go for it ... maybe some other cummunity never reached the goal, but maybe this time it will work ^^

I have two ideas...

- My storm chasing game project that was open source and are using a lot of usefull things to the community
- A kind of "yamakazi" game ^^

Mark
Posted By: ISG

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/22/06 03:39

Quote:

Youre saying people dont have enough motivation... You're the perfect example ^^

Nobody said I was perfect
Posted By: yung

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/22/06 11:40

I have recently suggested a community project myself. The game I would like to see come to reality on A6 is a GTA style game. I have a very large number of contributions myself, and others have already shown interset and support. The main reason is that I have independantly been developing these resources for quite some time, and as far as a community project, a GTA type of game would give opportunities for alot of people to contribute unique ideas and original works. The game would need to be zoned to give a huge world, and the best part, when its done, everyone can download and play MULTIPLAYER!!
For a little info on the game go here: YungArchives and click the link "PorVita".

Re: Open Source Community Project - 06/22/06 18:04

We must set on ONE genre first. maybe doing a crossover could work. Just go ahead^^
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/03/06 05:12

i dont think people would lose motivation, i think it'd actually be gained, because people wouldnt feel overwhelmed, and like i tried starting a team twice, didn't work either time due to difficulties at home (screwed up computer, lack of internet) but if the people were not obligated, they could just contribute when they wanted to... i'd love to help... i like the medevil thing, just im not so sure about the cartoony part, i already have a project i started working on, a sort of gladiator game, only your character has to train to become the best gladiator and eventually king, so you can level up and i even have this really awesome control scheme that i've been dying to try out since i was like 12... we dont need to use my idea, just throwing it out there, but yeah, i love this idea...
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/09/06 23:40

I vote for an RPG but maby not fantasy and maby not cartoon style...No spells,just some moves,shots,fire arrows and maby some hunters tricks. If you think this idea is strange wait to hear the rest of it...to add a new hero class, a builder who could build towers , castle , walls...to climb on the tower and start shooting the enemy before he even saw you...In a few words imagine WoW and Warcraft III in one (without the spells) RPG & Strategy in one(3-rd person,not top-down).
What do you think about this one?
Posted By: Ray_X_Zero

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/19/06 02:42

I vote for a Japanese RPG style like Final Fantasy, Suikoden. I'm a big fan of Japanese RPG games.
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/20/06 04:59

Quote:

The game I would like to see come to reality on A6 is a GTA style game.

While not interested in this style, if it did go through I would only really want one thing: "Consequences for your actions and aging effects.". In other words, if you shoot a couple cops, then get arrested, game over. If you blow up a few cars, rob a store, car jack someones car, and then get arrested...you go to jail, time passes, and you are released. Now your character is X number of years older...so he's slower, maybe the eyesight is going, your accuracy and stamina decrease, etc. THAT might be a game I'd be interested in playing; I hate the "do whatever you want with no consequences" style 'modern-based' game.

My vote would go for something fantasy (first person shooter, rpg, turn based strategy, whatever), simply because it seems a LOT of people are interested in that style of setting and it is wide-open for interpretation and artistic vision.
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/20/06 07:21

"Consequences for your actions and aging effects." is the gayest idea i've heard of in a while , why would u wanna make ur player age and get slower and loose accurancy as u progress in the game , shouldnt u get faster and stronger ? LOL , I think all this game's trying to simulate real life are retarded and ridiculous , not to say I'm not a fan of the GTA games , i love San Andreas , but i think few titles fit the criteria to be made like that , and am not a fan of all this clone games big publishers keep making and selling to people. A game should be about fun , about having fun , weather it is by decapitating zombies or fighting a dragon to rescue a princess, the key ingridient is gameplay , having solid gameplay thats fun , thats what's hard to do , to figure out a new formula , which is why there's tons of shooters and gta type games out there , publishers need to sell a lot of games to make a lot of money so they market eye candy , all the new games u see only have better gfx and pretty much the same gameplay , since they are all pretty much the same game , i think following this route for a community project would be a mistake. Focusing on the latest fad rather than on making a good game is and unideal of of approaching this. Now my thoughts on a communnity project , I think it's plainly a stupid idea with no foundation to it. Why would anyone waste their time with this ? what is there to gain ? to push A6 ? Conitec has been making gamestudio since A3 and is a successful company , can u explain why u feel they need our help to push their game engine to a better level ? If anyone needs help is the developers , most of us are indies with no financial funding for our projects , and we should donate our time to making a game for the hells of it ? What is there to be gained from a communnity project other than wasted time ? If the project is sold who keeps the money , you ? or u divide it into a thousand little shares between every single person who made a contribution , anything other would be unfair dont u think ? If a communnity project would somehow develop i think it should be a project different than what you have in mind , how about making something that benefficiates the actual gamestudio indie community. We can all join together and develop a set of resources to better suit the game makers , how about a set of decent model packs for the community , a set of decent music and sound effects packs for the community , a set of good texture packs for the community , a set of good scripts for the communnity. I think these are the things that we the gamestudio users would actually be able to benefit from , and would be worth spending our time doing , where each person uses their skill to create a good set of assets and shares it with the community while also gaining access to other great assets which are made by people who posses skills which he lacks. The assets gamestudio includes in the package are HIDEOUS and should be an embarrassment to conitec for being so cheap in that department. There are a lot of assets on this forum to download but the only ones worth the download are the ones u have to buy , and most people getting started in game dev arent really looking to purchase assets instantly after buying the engine. Maybe we should as a communnity make a sort of demo game , which includes all types of games (shooter/plattformer/car racing/rpg/combat/puzzle/ect...) into one game , which will then be donated along with all assets from art to sound to code to the communnity for use in their personal or commercial projects , this way the work people make has some purpose to it , and there is also something to be gained by everyone. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Posted By: capanno

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/20/06 09:42

Make a poll...
Posted By: exile

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/20/06 10:18

I think that conitec should hold a contest to have a new and improved models that meet today's standards. These models would then be included in the next 3DGS installment. Imagine seeing cyber girl, guard, of even the long forgotten hero model with a great face lift.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/22/06 17:33

Yeah, that's a very good idea. Some great looking guns, maby some cars,...
That would be great.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/23/06 19:58

I think it's a great idea Spike. The real catch I think is geography. To get a few key participants close to each other to meet over beeeers or something. Or it is jsut a good excuse to get some beers! whooo hoo beer

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/23/06 20:59

Dont know about some beers but i wouldnt mind smoking a couple of blunts while working on a game : )
Posted By: Paul_L_Ming

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/24/06 00:05

Quote:

"Consequences for your actions and aging effects." is the gayest idea i've heard of in a while , why would u wanna make ur player age and get slower and loose accurancy as u progress in the game , shouldnt u get faster and stronger

Uh, I'm glad it is the most happy idea you've heard in a while.

The reason *I* would want to make a player character age and get slower/less accurate in a game like GTA is simply to make it a challenge to not get 'caught' being a completely sadistic, moronic a-hole. When you get caught, you go to jail. Jail time isn't "15 seconds as the game reloads". I think the thing that puts me off games like GTA is the pointlessness of it all. There is no actual 'challenge' to the game; you run around being an malcontented anti-social idiot until you die. Whoo...yay. Lots of fun there. (that was sarcasm).

Adding a simple drawback as "age" to the game would make it MUCH more fun for people who have fun by being challenged....as opposed to just doing whatever the hell they want with no regard for anything but themselves. Put it in the game as an option, even, best of both worlds.

At any rate, I do like the idea of a sort of 'community resource' project; levels, static objects, sounds, music, etc. That could be pretty nice indeed!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/24/06 07:09

beer... gah germans... lol i meant no offense, just joking, im not racist... no seriously, stop staring at me like that, and why are you now holding a knife?
Posted By: Blattsalat

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/24/06 13:30

i like the idea of punishment versus reloads or replaying the same level again. I am not sure if aging is the best method because it comes with lots of negative effects (you would have to add some positive as well to the game), but anything is better then a "game over-please replay the same [censored] again"

cheers
Posted By: jigalypuff

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/24/06 19:27

i`d vote for a turn based stratagy game, they are by far the best game genre to be had, look how popular the civ seris has been.

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/24/06 21:11

turn based strategy games are the lamest games ever made and are only played by geeks and nerds , not to mention how BORING those games are.
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Open Source Community Project - 07/25/06 17:14

If you think that Heroes is boring...better go play on your CS server and stop writing,because in every game there is strategy...yes,even in CS...
Now , everybody has his own idea about a game,that he wants to see finished but I know about a game that doesnt have re-makes and that its one-of-a-kind.
Commandos. I suggest we try that one...
Posted By: indo

Open Source Community Project - 08/07/06 03:52

I think an FPS with some RPG elements (ala System Shock 2) would allow for enough strategy and action to create a balance (plus an FPS could be quickly prototyped.) I've been noticing how bored I get lately with games that follow strict genre lines.
Posted By: A.Russell

Re: Open Source Community Project - 08/07/06 05:13

This idea isn't going to happen. People have talked about such things before and they usually never even get started -like this one. The problem is no central management for the project and no incentive for anyone to produce anything good. Even if it does get started, it will pretty soon lose steam as the stary eyed new developers discover they don't have the inclination to do any more work on the project and decide to go and work on their own thing. Not to mention that the quality of any work submitted is likely to be sub-standard.

Conitec did call for professional animated models about a year or so back and offered to pay for them, but not enough professional quality work was submitted.
Posted By: Towelie

Re: Open Source Community Project - 08/07/06 11:36

Russels right. You guys have lots of ideas being thrown out but nobody supporting each other, and why_do_i_die just saying stupid stuff about peoples Idea's and Lost Climate spamming about Germans.

Like A. Russel said, theres a lack of central management. Get some if you're going to do it.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Open Source Community Project - 08/09/06 17:20

Quote:

...not to mention how BORING those games are.

Oh yes, finally soemone who thinks the same.
© 2024 lite-C Forums