[SOUND] balance problem

Posted By: darkinferno

[SOUND] balance problem - 02/25/12 12:29

Ive been playing around with snd_play, snd_loop and snd_tune but it seems the balance parameter does nothing, it plays in both channels regardless of being set to -100 or +100;

I'm using a .ogg file but i also tried .wav and MONO versions of the sound, even went as far as using sounds from the Gstudio template folder, still no luck;

At the moment i even muted my LEFT sound channel on my pc to make sure but i hear the sound in the RIGHT speakers regardless of the balance parameter;

so the question is, why would this happen? what am i overlooking?
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: [SOUND] balance problem - 02/25/12 14:00

From my point of view youre not missing a thing. snd_tune seems to be broken. Here is a small compileable example that demonstrates the issue:

Code:
#include <acknex.h>

void main()
{
	SOUND* snd = snd_create("#1");
	fixed handle = snd_loop(snd,100,0);
	while (1)
	{
		fixed balance = cosv(total_ticks * 10) * 99;
		snd_tune(handle,100,100,balance);
		DEBUG_VAR(handle,0);
		DEBUG_VAR(balance,50);
		wait(1);
	}
}

Keep in mind you can only use mono sounds. Stereo sounds are not yet supported.

Wanna post in the bugs forum? Or shall I? I have the current beta installed. I can also post in the beta forum.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: [SOUND] balance problem - 02/25/12 14:51

Go ahead, a fix will help other users more than me because I use A7 so i wont get fixes plus, i'm sure i wouldnt get it before my release deadline;

I was hoping to use this to create a entity sounds system for snd_play and snd_loop but i guess i'm stuck at the retarded 16 sounds limit then =/

#switching engines as soon as i finish this project, at my limit now, this is ridiculous, theres NOTHING i dont have to find workarounds for
[sorry for the rant people]

Re: [SOUND] balance problem - 02/25/12 15:09

Created a bug report. Lets see if JCL finds a way out.

http://www.opserver.de/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=395612&#Post395612

Re: [SOUND] balance problem - 02/27/12 15:02

Originally Posted By: JCL
Yes, we know of this problem, but the only workaround is using OpenAL. It happens with certain audio drivers and is there since A3, not since A7.

grin
© 2024 lite-C Forums