Particles on screen

Posted By: EpsiloN

Particles on screen - 05/12/14 12:55

I don't have the time to test right now.

Is it possible to create a view entity (model in front of everything) and attach a particle emitter to it to create a sort of energy flow effect?

I just wasted a whole day making a stupid animation in Photoshop that still looks exactly like what it is...a picture. And I need 3 more with different heights. laugh

Particles are what I'm looking for, but haven't tried to put them on screen.
Posted By: DLively

Re: Particles on screen - 05/23/14 06:47

Im not sure, but you may be able to have two entities rendered to the camera, vec_for_vretx them and have the particles run off the edges of the camera...

Awful 3am Diagram:
| <---|
|---> |
------------

Re: Particles on screen - 06/02/14 22:44

I thought about that, but the particles get cut when an object is close to the camera (FPS).
After going through the manual, I realized there is no way of using particles on view entities, and I ended up with animation in Photoshop (around 25 frames). It doesn't look bad, but I lowered the opacity to 25% or 30%. On 100% it looks distracting and too 2D.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Particles on screen - 06/03/14 04:00

That's most likely the best solution when you don't want to create a bunch of view entity sprites. 2D/ screen particles (effect_layer) are only supported in A8.

Re: Particles on screen - 07/03/14 23:21

That's what I hate the most. We have A8 now, but my game is too big to rewrite into the new syntax and I'm stuck with a lot of limitations.

I recently realized my level is limited to ~8200 quants in X/-X and Y/-Y. I can go further, but my gravity script wont work anymomre. And there's no obvious reason for this. I checked my code...

EDIT: By the way, I did this animation and a font animation for all my texts on screen and with around 100~150 elements all changing their font every frame there is a small FPS drop (around 4-5 frames on i3 GF310M)...
Posted By: Superku

Re: Particles on screen - 07/03/14 23:42

There is - despite you checking your code - a problem with your movement code. Are you using POLYGON models as a ground surface? You need to call c_setminmax() for them too to work correctly (otherwise no potential bbox collision will be calculated and as a result no polygonal detection check).
© 2024 lite-C Forums