Disable static lights??

Posted By: xbox

Disable static lights?? - 02/10/15 02:28

Is it possible to disable static lights in a level at runtime, that were placed in WED? I have my level looking good with static lights, but at some point in my game, I'd like to be able to "shut off" all of the lights and turn on some programmed dynamic lights, and later switch it back. I tried just removing all of the 250+ static lights and replacing them with scripted dynamic ones, but either my computer sucks at rendering it (wouldn't be surprised) or the shadows created are just blocky and awful. Also curveball, I can't use shaders (just incase that would have been a possible solution)...
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/10/15 06:46

turn the lighmap skin off ?
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/10/15 06:46

turn the lightmap skin off ?

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/10/15 16:03

after searching the manual for lightmap because I was unsure of what you were suggesting, I've reached a possible solution. The manual suggests entSkin2 is the lightmap texture for level blocks which is what I need, however this seems to be available only with shaders...is that true?

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/11/15 20:51

just to clarify, I have the free version of A8 so unfortunately shaders won't help me. Unless someone else has any suggestions, I think I might just be at a loss...
Posted By: sivan

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/12/15 09:59

it might be possible by applying a material to the level_ent, having a fixed function effect with a simple lighting, what is supported by the free edition. not tried just an idea...

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/12/15 19:06

Alright @sivan, sounds interesting. I'll give it a try tonight. Since I've never used materials before, are there any specific FFEs I should be looking for?

UPDATE: Okay so instead of creating a material, I first tried this
Code:
set(level_ent, UNLIT)

and much to my surprise, it eliminated about 95% of the static light, there's still some light but I need to investigate as to why...
Posted By: sivan

Re: Disable static lights?? - 02/13/15 07:56

moreover, there might be an engine bug related to runtime material change of map entities, I just made a post in the bug section, and it could valid for level blocks too...
© 2024 lite-C Forums