fuzzy semi-transparent background

Posted By: seneca

fuzzy semi-transparent background - 02/21/16 13:10

Hey all.

not sure which forum this belongs in, but does anyone know how to make a fuzzy semi-transparent background? I need to have the camera focus on the menu of my game and have the background fuzzy, but not completely hidden.

I tried to use a bitmap and turned the alpha down, but it's not what I want (can still see the bg - clearly). I thought about using a shader, but I'm not sure they work with panels/bitmaps and finally I thought about using a model stuck at the camera position then using a shader on it (like glass), but that seems more complicated than it should be. Is there anything else I can try?

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Reconnoiter

Re: fuzzy semi-transparent background - 02/21/16 13:56

Hi,

Try a blur shader or better a depth of field (DOF) shader for the view (search on the forums).

If you dont want it to be blurred, perhaps try putting a transparent image before the background with possible the BRIGHT flag set or such. But the above DOF shader is probably what your looking for.
Posted By: Wjbender

Re: fuzzy semi-transparent background - 02/21/16 17:52

@seneca simplicity depends on ,if the background is a still image , a still image can have a filter pre applied in an art/image manipulation application.

for realtime ,noise is an option too ,aswell as some of the standard material fx included .
Posted By: seneca

Re: fuzzy semi-transparent background - 02/21/16 17:56

thanks for the reply, I will try it and see which I like better or which ever is easier. Thanks again.
© 2024 lite-C Forums