Script Template

Posted By: DdlV

Script Template - 04/15/21 13:18

Hi jcl,

I know there are hints of this in the manual & probably other places, but as a "don't re-invent the wheel", I was wondering if you could share the Script Template that you've refined over the years that allows for rapid development as well as easy maintenance - presumably including functions for data gathering, analysis, entry, TMFs, exit, CBI, AI, inter-script coordination, etc.

Thanks.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 07:22

The only script template that I know is the one that appears when you click "New script".
Posted By: JeyKey II

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 11:34

cool cool
Posted By: AndrewAMD

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 13:25

This is why:
One should think that most clients come up with very similar trading systems, so we could meanwhile just click them together from ready code. But it is not so. There’s apparently no limit of trading ideas. Almost any other system uses some new trading method, unusual data source, or exotic indicator.
https://financial-hacker.com/please-send-me-a-trading-system/

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 15:15

Thanks @AndrewAMD for a rather more substantive reply.

But it conflates ideas with structure to implement ideas. This has been used endlessly to justify reinventing the wheel, spaghetti code, maintenance nightmares, guaranteed employment ( laugh ), etc. Template(s) have been one way to fight this, as well as make life easier...

I have too much respect for @jcl to believe that after over a decade of doing this he hasn't found & specified that his hired guns need to use something better than the Wild, Wild West - but if there isn't or he'd rather not share, so be it.

Regards to all!

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 15:55

Zorro is the structure. We re-use Zorro features all of the time. What other wheels could you possibly expect to reinvent? Do you have any real-world examples?

If you must reinvent the wheel as a script writer, either a new Zorro feature should be added, or it's likely because you are re-writing the same strategy. wink
Posted By: JeyKey II

Re: Script Template - 04/16/21 16:13

Originally Posted by DdlV
Thanks @AndrewAMD for a rather more substantive reply.

But it conflates ideas with structure to implement ideas. This has been used endlessly to justify reinventing the wheel, spaghetti code, maintenance nightmares, guaranteed employment ( laugh ), etc. Template(s) have been one way to fight this, as well as make life easier...

I have too much respect for @jcl to believe that after over a decade of doing this he hasn't found & specified that his hired guns need to use something better than the Wild, Wild West - but if there isn't or he'd rather not share, so be it.

Regards to all!

I absolutely agree with you.
I've been in this forum for almost 20 years now.
It's always been like JCL responds in a condescending manner (sometimes). I think the Zorro thing doesn't make it easier. Success has turned his head.
Most of the time, however, he is accommodating.

Re: Script Template - 04/17/21 15:07

@JeyKey II: I haven't been in the forum that long, and can't make that leap. Have some of @jcl's responses (not just to me) raised my eyebrows? Sure. But I'm aware of and make allowances for the limits of this form of communication, and there are just too many other possible reasons including native language, sense of humor, personality, and other more transient things.

@AndrewAMD: I think we'll just agree to disagree. Zorro is a library, and of course has a structure. But to use that library one must code in C, which to be done well needs to have it's own structure. My request regarding that latter structure was (sort of) answered, so as far as I'm concerned this thread has served its purpose.

Regards to all!
Posted By: brutusboy3

Re: Script Template - 09/16/21 11:03

I am new to Zorro. I am also relearning programming. Sample programming helps me a lot to understand programming. However, I can't get access to scripts.

How do I get access to the scripts such as Alice1b?
It needs a password?

Re: Script Template - 09/16/21 13:53

Originally Posted by brutusboy3
I am new to Zorro. I am also relearning programming. Sample programming helps me a lot to understand programming. However, I can't get access to scripts.

How do I get access to the scripts such as Alice1b?
It needs a password?
Those are specifically script samples for jcl's The Black Book of Financial Hacking. The password can be found in the appendix.

The other script samples on the Financial Hacker blog are free.
© 2024 lite-C Forums