Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro

Posted By: AndrewAMD

Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 07/23/19 14:53

jcl,

In the future, it would be very convenient if Zorro can use the MSVC compiler directly. The idea would be that you simply select a *.cpp file from the Zorro Script dropdown menu, and then the file is compiled on the fly, much like with the current Lite-C arrangement.

Pros:
* No need to launch a Visual Studio session every time. No solution files, no project files, just a single *.cpp.
* The eccentricities of Lite-C are gone. Instead, write standardized C++ code.
* Still can quickly pilot ideas as if you have Lite-C.
* No need to juggle DLL files.
* Can be 64-bit.

Cons:
* If stepwise debugging is truly required, need to move code to Visual Studio.
* If some special libraries are required, I suppose this would also require Visual Studio, unless #pragma comment or dynamic DLL loading will suffice.
Posted By: 7th_zorro

Re: Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 07/24/19 04:48

Main reason to use VC than lite-C is for GUI and debugging support.
MSVC compiler only does not offer this features.
You can create many projects in one solution file. Just duplicate existing project and rename it.
And also you can set the output file path to zorro strategy folder.
And also you can set the intermidiate files path.
Visual studio is definitely a best IDE in the world, you can do anything for your needs.

Posted By: jcl

Re: Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 07/24/19 08:54

This is a good idea especially for a future 64 bit version that would not support lite-C. We'll put that on the to do list.
Posted By: Brax

Re: Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 07/24/19 10:49

I second this proposal.

Better embrace a fully long term tested environment like C++ than continue using Lite-C. More power, more libraries available, and still rapid strategy prototyping.
Posted By: HamzaAhmed

Re: Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 04/27/22 08:11

I think it would be best if an inbuilt debugger is built into Lite-C environment like in GameStudio SED script editor. This functionality can then be further integrated into a separate editor like SED or Notepad++ or Visual Studio Code etc .... If there is a place where one could vote for features in the next version of Zorro; I'll vote for this.

Seriously,.... editor debugging options are limited in Zorro.
1. printf
2. message
3. watch

Please post more if I missed any...
Posted By: Zheka

Re: Integrate MSVC compiler in Zorro - 04/27/22 12:24

STEPWISE functionality is occasionally very useful
© 2024 lite-C Forums