VSCode for Zorro development

Posted By: ThePituLegend

VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 10:52

Hi!

I'd love to know if anyone have sucessfully used VSCode. Right now I use it as a mere 'enhanced text editor', but I'd like to use it in all i'ts glory (step by step debug, proper Lite-C symbol resolving and all that stuff).

Can anyone tell me about his/her experience?
Thanks!
Posted By: AndrewAMD

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 11:32

If you know how to debug any DLL in visual studio, you know exactly what to expect. It works pretty well.
Posted By: kankan

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 11:51

Originally Posted By: AndrewAMD
If you know how to debug any DLL in visual studio, you know exactly what to expect. It works pretty well.

But this would only work if you are using C++ and not Lite-C I am assuming?

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 13:04

Correct.

To be clear, I am referring to this:
https://zorro-project.com/manual/en/dlls.htm

Combine this with knowledge on how to use C++ with VSCode:
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp

...anyways, C++ is a first-class citizen in the original Visual Studio, but VSCode also works well as a C++ debugger.
Posted By: ThePituLegend

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 13:44

Okay, I see the point.

It is possible to compile a DLL in VSCode (to avoid jumping from VS to VSC all the time)? Maybe that question is out of the scope of this forum, but if anyone knows...

Thank you all!

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/18/19 13:49

The compiler is the Visual C++ Compiler. Both VS and VSCode can act as frontends for the compiler.

So yes, but technically no. laugh
Posted By: Sysmet

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/05/21 11:47

Is anyone using VSCode for Zorro development after 2 years? Maybe someone have made snippets with Zorro's dictionary and willing to share?
https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/editor/userdefinedsnippets
Posted By: kalmar

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/06/21 00:57

I use VSCode, but just as IDE. Somehow I find it more convenient than Notepad++ and I could switch to Python environment quickly.
Posted By: Sysmet

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/06/21 12:51

VSCode is an amazing open source editor. In my opinion, the best currently available.
It would be great if JCL support somehow some integration of Zorro to VSCode (snippets, function definitions, debugging, etc). Maybe a Zorro extension for VSCode?
Posted By: Morris

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/09/21 19:51

I am quite happy using VSCode for Zorro, and the auto-completion ("Intellisense"), function definition (F12) etc. all work out of the box (with C/C++ extension), no configuration or snippet definition needed. (No debugging, though, of course, because VSCode does not have a Lite-C runtime.) If you put "#include <default.c>" at the top of your file, VSCode will pick up all of the definitions.
Posted By: kalmar

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/10/21 12:38

Thank you for advise, Morris. Could you pls explain this "#include <default.c>" thing. My strategies are not in the original Zorro folder. How would VSCode find <default.c>, which is located in "Zorro/Include"?
Posted By: Morris

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/11/21 22:50

Hi kalmar, you set the include path in VSCode accordingly. It's a bit hidden in c_cpp_properties.json (in Command Palette, choose "C/C++: Edit Configurations (JSON)", and add your Zorro include path (with forward slashes) to configurations/includePath in the json file). VSCode will then pick up everything from Zorro by itself.
Posted By: HamzaAhmed

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 04/27/22 07:11

Yes, VSCode picks up for intellisense and go to definition. However, if one knew the compiler Zorro is using then we could point VSCode to use it and probably get IDE debugging.... ?
Posted By: NorbertSz

Re: VSCode for Zorro development - 03/31/24 08:51

Hello,

I made a handy project template for developing and compiling directly from the VSCode IDE.
https://github.com/szabonorbert/zorro-vscode-template
© 2024 lite-C Forums