Is Zorro still viable?

Posted By: SteveG

Is Zorro still viable? - 05/24/20 20:39

From what I have read, Zorro appears to be one of the most powerful platforms available for testing and development of algorithmic trading systems. But usually an indication of success is a vibrant community of users and industry buzz promoting its success.

Have users lost interest or are there flaws that I am not seeing? The activity in this forum is incredibly sparse, except for the few kind individuals who responded to my posts and some other responses to other threads to just read the manual.

Maybe I am missing something and everyone who uses Zorro want to keep it a secret. Based on the dates of posts in these forums, to me it seems interest has died down. Was there hope that more would by the S version? Are the economics of this project not working out as originally hoped?

I’m willing to keep pressing forward and learning, but working with something that everyone is excited about would sure be encouraging ; the least of which I spend a great amount of time only to find the website is not working anymore.
Posted By: AndrewAMD

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/24/20 22:29

Do you measure viability by forum participation and popularity? I think this is a mistake.

I can personally say that I have submitted many bug reports, and almost all of the bugs have been fixed swiftly. They still do this to this day. I also happen to have some open software development orders (I write Zorro plugins and scripts, both 1st party and 3rd party), so the interest is still alive.

Given that the general population is attracted to software with fancy GUI’s and “programming-free” trading algorithms, do you think it’s a better idea to join the herd? I’ll trade against the herd any day because the herd is too lazy to do research.
Posted By: Grat

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/25/20 05:12

I personaly use Zorro S from 5 years back. Is a difficult for understand / if u comming from the other platform like MT4 /. But can make anything like this in the other systems?

https://financial-hacker.com/petra-on-programming-a-unique-trend-indicator/#more-3424

Milan
Posted By: onoff

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/26/20 15:50

I can see why it is not hip or popular, but the only question should be - is it profitable? Since trading is a zero- sum game you better be on the profitable not the popular side. That's my personal opinion based on research and experience.

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/26/20 17:13

I definitely want to be in the profitable camp

I guess I was just trying to get a feel for whether or not Zorro will be around, and yes I have based my observation on the fairly light forum activity.

One thing I was encouraged to see was in the most recent issue of Stocks & Commodities was code for Zorro provided in the Traders Tips section of the magazine, regarding Ehlers' CCY State Indicator.

I am wanting to use Zorro for developing and testing forex trading strategies. I looked at other options like EA's for MT4, etc., but they all really seem to fall short in the testing area, which is what attracted me to Zorro (as well as the articles I have read on Financial Hacker and Robot Wealth).

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/26/20 17:22

Ah, yes, I actually learned about Zorro by word of mouth (a random comment on Reddit), and I'm happy to have dug deep into this rabbit hole. wink
Posted By: danatrader

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/27/20 04:17

Too bad, I found it pretty late and love it.

Not only it can generate some income, it is a great way to dive into developing.
Posted By: MatPed

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/27/20 16:24

Yes Steve, you are right. Zorro is not for everybody and the community is not "vibrant", usually who answer to a specific topic, knows what is talking about.

I am profitable on a Broker but still not capable to replicate the same winning history on another broker. Trading is not a trivial game

my 2 cents

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/27/20 20:36

All these posts are confirming my suspicions and just wanted to make sure it was going to be around. Thanks everyone

Now, except for diving in and learning as much as I can, any recommendations for what I can do to help? I guess this is a statement to pay it forward since I will most likely be doing the asking. ;-)

Thanks

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/27/20 21:41

Well, you can get a free Zorro S license if you "Contribute Something Substantial". See the manual page:
https://zorro-project.com/manual/en/restrictions.htm

Other than that, answering other peoples' questions can make you more knowledgeable about Zorro (i.e. "teaching is learning").

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/28/20 16:28

I saw that. I am also looking into an Oanda account to hopefully take advantage of the "S" offer as well. I wasn't able to get the MT4 connection working with my Forex.com account and even if I did, I am not sure if connecting to Forex.com via MT4 would actually give me live & historical data. I see having a connection to Oanda would provide that type of connection. The data source seems to be an issue that many are trying to deal with, but I haven't concluded what is the best route to take for a US investor, both for historical data as well as potentially for placing live trades. This is probably the wrong location in the forums to ask this question.

Can anyone tell me if the Robot Wealth Bootcamp is worthwhile? I noticed they specifically work with the Zorro platform.

Also, which area of the forums should I post a question about charting output from Zorro? I understand when you write a script for a strategy / algorithm you want to test, you can have the results of the test produced in a report. But I am trying to learn if along with the test results, can it also print out a chart showing the indicator and where the indicator is placing buy and sell orders with the peaks and valleys?

Thanks
Posted By: danatrader

Re: Is Zorro still viable? - 05/29/20 05:54

The Robowealth is pretty good.
They have their own uinque view about things and open up your mind a bit.

Also they prvovide you with codes and methods you can work on to improve, giving you a good boost in learning.

Charting is done with the
Code
plot
function.
It is not a clicky bunti, it is a algotrading software.
© 2024 lite-C Forums