ARM support for Zorro?

Posted By: vinitrinh

ARM support for Zorro? - 05/26/22 09:32

Hi

Am considering setting up a home server based on ARM chips. was wondering if Zorro runs on ARM?

Thanks
Posted By: jcl

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 05/26/22 09:34

Zorro is Intel code. It runs on ARM when you have a Windows emulator on that system.

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 05/26/22 09:43

Thanks for that rapid response.

What does "intel code" mean?
Does that mean that Zorro OS-specific or chip-specific?
(forgive the noob question)

Currently looking at this ARM based (snapdragon) windows developer desktop that got announced recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yICVNta8jMU

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 05/26/22 10:43

Chip specific. Windows emulators on ARM must not only emulate the Windows system, but also interpret Intel processor code with ARM processor code.
Posted By: AndrewAMD

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 05/31/22 11:58

Originally Posted by vinitrinh
Currently looking at this ARM based (snapdragon) windows developer desktop that got announced recently
What's your motivation specifically to get this desktop? Did you plan on developing ARM apps? If not, consider an x64 desktop. Not to mention that chip emulation is usually slow.

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 08/11/22 04:53

Originally Posted by AndrewAMD
Currently looking at this ARM based (snapdragon) windows developer desktop that got announced recently
What's your motivation specifically to get this desktop? Did you plan on developing ARM apps? If not, consider an x64 desktop. Not to mention that chip emulation is usually slow.

I might be travelling to and fro and would need a portable desktop device. Now looking back, I suppose I might as well use a server.

Neat blog by the way @vitaltrades.com

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 08/11/22 04:53

Originally Posted by jcl
Zorro is Intel code. It runs on ARM when you have a Windows emulator on that system.

What does "intel code" mean?

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 08/11/22 13:59

https://www.felixcloutier.com/x86/
Posted By: AndrewAMD

Re: ARM support for Zorro? - 08/11/22 19:54

I might be travelling to and fro and would need a portable desktop device. Now looking back, I suppose I might as well use a server.
Most Windows-based laptops and mini-PCs will also work, except for the ones with ARM processors.

Neat blog by the way @vitaltrades.com
Thank you!
© 2024 lite-C Forums