Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler

Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 17:05

Why doesn't "3D Gamestudio" sound cool? My suggestion for the future. Make it sound cool!!!!!!!!!!

Torque sounds cool. Cararra sounds a lot better than its clumsy old name, "Ray Dream Designer". Maya is a lot cooler than "Alias Wavefront". XSI is cooler than "Softimage"

What would you rather say to a producer "I made this with Ray Dream Designer and 3D Game Studio" or "This was made with Carrera and is powered by the Stealth Engine". To me, "3D Gamestudio" sounds old and stale, it sounds 1994. It even sounds pre-Wired Magazine. It has a bad rap. It is assocaited with "the worst game in the world." Decidedly un-cool. Why does Torque sound cool and more appealing, even though it's not as powerful? The name sounds good on the tongue, it suggests great power, and we associate it with powerful machines. Torque is what turns the wheels on a ferrari. If 3D Gamestudio were a student in Jr High School, it would be constantly shoved into the lockers, given wedgies and held upside down in the toilet by Torque, because it sounds so hopelessly nerdy.

Think it's a superficial argument? Maybe, but gaming is obsessed with the latest greatest coolest most powerful stuff out there. Like clothing, like carbonated beverages, cool is important in this field because computer games are targeted at younger audiences, who feed on cool like crazy.

Crysis Engine, doesn't that sound cool as hell? Jade Engine, that's sexy, smooth and cool. I doubt the Jade Engine can do much more than 3D Gamestudio when it comes to technology, but which name do you want associated with your game? Acknex? it sounds like someone sneezed, and it goes back to 1995. A6? A7? No personality, stands for Acknex, vague, doesn't suggest power or smoothness.

Caffeine Engine
Wired Engine
Taurine
Euphoria Engine
Ardent
Stealth Engine
Notorious

or something associated with its German roots, like Native Instruments "Traktor" or "Reaktor" products.

Do you agree or disagree that "3D Gamestudio" sounds cool? Is it time for a new name?
Posted By: ello

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 18:47

hey,!!! i think first the sound needs to be cooler and than the rest. i dont fear the name 3d gamestudio. thats what it is and from my side here's the end of the sentence.

oh and sorry, but btw: i'd never ever buy a macchiato engine. thats for sure

hmm. dont know what you are quoting there...

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 19:16

>and btw2: you'd better get out your game and give a good light

I'd rather not any game I make be overtly affiliated with or advocating any kind of middleware whatsoever, honestly. It's just my game. If I had to associate it with an engine name, though, I'd rather not have it affiliated with something so outmoded sounding.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 19:37

Some random thoughts:

Zeitgeist Engine
Glowengine 3D
Kobold
Urschleim Engine
Zeppelin Engine
Posted By: TWO

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 19:47

JCL Engine
Doug Engine
My Engine
Food Engine
Cool Engine
Bad-Shadows Engine
Enigne Engine
Awake Engine

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 19:50

Zeitgeist! That's awesome, it's German, it's sexy, it's used by creative and smart people in the USA too. Suggests newness and energy. That's a great name.

Zeppelin is cool too, also good cross-German-English appeal. Classy and fun on the lips.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 20:14

achtung3D!
rucksack engine
kindergarten engine
kraut engine

just kidding... after seeing zeitgeist and zeppelin some other german words which sometimes get used in english came to my mind...

here is the engine list from devmaster just to see some engine names:

1. Torque Game Engine
2. TV3D SDK 6.5
3. 3DGameStudio
4. C4 Engine
5. Unity
6. NeoAxis Engine
7. DX Studio v2.2
8. 3Impact
9. Beyond Virtual
10. Deep Creator

1. OGRE
2. Irrlicht
3. Crystal Space
4. Panda3D
5. jME
6. Reality Factory
7. The Nebula Device 2
8. RealmForge
9. Blender Game Engine
10. OpenSceneGraph

actually i find most names pretty bad. my favorites are torque, ogre, irrlicht and nebula device.

coming up with a good name is hard. personally i don't mind "gamestudio" that much (officially the 3d isn't in the name anymore which is good because i think it mainly was what made the name sound old school) but i don't really like the ugly sounding "acknex".
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 20:44

At least the name is clearly describing the product... can't say that from all the other engines, apart from the word 'engine'. If other so called "important" people have a problem with the engine name rather than your game... maybe you should find people who judge the looks of your game, rather than the engine name .

If the gamer crowd (who totaly do not care at all about whatever engine it is made) is happy with your game, surely the publishers don't mind the engine's name either. If they think your game sucks, they'll use every argument they can find to convince other people. That may include "roflol it's made with '3D kiddy game studio' =D", but those people are the last you should listen to .

The world doesn't think that bad about 3dgs at all:
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/engine_details.php?id=67#reviews
Since 14 september they talked about A7, no negative replies so far .
Posted By: fastlane69

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 20:57

So let me see if I understand this thread correctly:

You assume that a publisher will scoff at your game when you make mention of the name of the engine it was built under, right?
That a producer would NEVER think of supporting a product made with "that" engine.

Don't you see the fundamental flaw in that arguement?
Here I'll spell it out for you in a little play I call

"Focus on the game, not the name"

Community: Change the name! Change the name! No producer will support my game with that name!

f69: GANG, PRODUCERS DON'T GIVE TWO FARTS ABOUT GAME ENGINES!!!

Coummunity: What? How can that be? Surely a game producer would much rather invest in a game made by big, bad, bold Unreal than meek, unknown, kiddie 3D Game Studio, right?

F69: Wrong and you know it! Producers want GOOD GAMES not GOOD GAME ENGINES!!!!

Community: Right! And you can make a better game with Unreal than 3D Game Studio!

F69: And when you play a game, is the first thing you look at the engine it was built under or if it looks cool enough to play?

Community: As a player, I would probably just look at the game. But as a producer, I would definitely pay attention to the game engine so that IF a person looks at it, they are happy with the engine it was built!

F69: Oh really? So you think, you really think, that if you game is fun and it looks like it will sell, the publisher will say "no thanks. we don't care for selling fun games made with 3D Game Studio? That somehow the commercial public is going to say "wow... this was made with 3D Game Studio. Never heard of it. Guess I won't buy this game after all!"?

Community: Well... I guess if they see that it could sell and it would be fun they might buy it.

F69: And you think a producer would rather pony up the half a million dollars to give the game a little more polish and a big name up front? That a producer wants more than anything to drive the cost of making a game as high as possible?

Community: No, that doesn't sound like a good producer. I suppose they would want to get things on the cheap.

F69: Right! So don't you see that it's the GAME and not the GAME ENGINE that a producer is really looking at? And that if you can make a good game on the cheap, that is even better from a profit stand point and producers LOVE profit...

Community: Well...ummmm.... ermmm... I dont' know what to say so I'm just going to call you a censored poopy head because I know more than you but I just can't prove it and I'm going to storm off....hrumph!!!!!

F69:

The End
[exit screen left]

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 21:07

Whoa there big guy. Don't pop an artery.

That's fine but it doesn't make 3D Gamestudio sound cool

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 21:18

Itīs not that easy, especially here in german.
Gamestudio is, by most people here, considered as a "click together" solution.
They canīt believe that it can be quite complicated.

This implies that the developers does not have the skill to do it "in the real way" --> c++ / XNA / whatever.
Furthermore it implies that it canīt be a big amount of work to do a game with GS.

There are some exceptions. People who know that thereīs much more involved than clicking.
But they are the minority.

Quote:

cross-German-English

This was my intention. I also think that "Zeitgeist" or anything like that could be a good solution.

What about "Weisswurst Engine" ? --> inspired by sauerbraten

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 21:24

Quote:

but it doesn't make 3D Gamestudio sound cool

My Bad.
I forgot that cool sounding game engines is, after all, what game development is all about.

See my posting to HeelX's similar thread in Ask Conitec for a more in-depth analysis of why this is not a bad idea, but it won't achieve what you want.
Posted By: Wicht

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 21:53

@ventilator

Quote:

kindergarten engine

Haha... JCL, the head of "kindergarten engine".

Sad but true!!!
Posted By: broozar

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 21:59

don't be rude.

forecast engine.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 22:17

So far, most replied have been "just make a good game!" and I'm actually in total agreement about that ! At the same time, it doesn't change my wish that engine had a new image to go with the complete new A7 changes, though, and it does nothing to change the perception of the engine's validity in the game development community in general.

Believe me, fastlane, you are in the majority and Conitec will NEVER change the name anyway, because it's an extremely conservative company with little regard to marketing or image. Seriously. Is there even a marketing department or a real product manager who isn't a programmer or answers the phones part time? It's Conitec's mistake.

While Conitec's "PR" manager is cleaning toilets, watching TV, staring at the stain on the wall, or whatever they are doing instead of marketing, they could instead be getting their market share back from Torque. The engine's great, the dev team is obviously great, but good lord get a real product manager and marketing department!

I know, fastlane, Conitec could hire you to do their PR, you could go to tradeshows and improving gamestudio's image with your "just make better games and it will be okay" approach. You could make a big full page ad in Game Developer Magazine that says "3D GAMESTUDIO - If you don't like the sound of it, it's because you're not capable of making good quality games".

You have nothing to worry about and can continue to tell me how me, HeelX and other people are at fault because we are using the engine's bad name as an excuse. It's not like I haven't heard this before.

Because being affilitated with and using the technology of "the world's worst game" isn't really a liability, it's just me being a drama llama.

Another question: Do you think a new name to go along with all the new features of the next version of the new engine would spark new sales? I get the impression that Conitec's target audience is already well establish, repeat customers. But if there were a new name and press campaign, in places like Game Developer magazine, not only would it get cred ahd a brand new image, but people would probably buy a copy to check it out nand possibly they would get some of Torque's market share.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 22:23

Increase the reputation? That's possible. Without JCL.
That's not rude... it's only the truth.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 22:35

what has jcl to do with the reputation? not the reputation among the developers, but among those who say "eek, 3dgs is a child's toy engine"? what makes you think someone else would lift the image?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 22:48

We dont need a better name, we just need a cool demo showing its potential.

I believe every new feature should be introduced by a cool mini-demo, with some marketing and great visuals.

Some good projects and demos are missing. The name does not make the reputation, the product and its results will do.

Obviously Conitec needs an artist in the team.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:20

Quote:

We dont need a better name, we just need a cool demo showing its potential.
Obviously Conitec needs an artist in the team.

looking at cbabe. yes. indeed.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:24

Why are we concerned about Conitec's marketing anyway. They are working hard to give us what we demand, and they do not seem to run out of money... for years...

Who says Conitec wants to go big? Growing bigger has it's consequences for every business. Conitec seems a very stable company to me. Doing exactly what it's community asks, you can't possibly ask for a better support on any product!

They probably save a lot of money on marketing because they already have a big community. Money they use to develop the engine to keep you happy. But now you are not happy because Conitec's marketing sucks...

Strange world.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:27

Quote:

Seriously. Is there even a marketing department or a real product manager who isn't a programmer or answers the phones part time? It's Conitec's mistake.

Everyone is in agreement here about Conitec's marketing. There was even a long thread about it a while back. I too was in your shoes and begged Conitec to get some marketing so I could say their product name with pride!!!! And then you know what happened?

I started making games.
I started going to game conferences.
I started talking to developers and investors and publishers.

And about 50% didn't know 3DGS and the other 50% predictably called it hobbyware. The ones who didn't know where mildly curious about it's feature set and then moved onto the game. The ones who did know, after a few minutes talking about it, they did NOT have that opinion and agreed that their opinion was second hand and not borne of using the product.

Quote:

Do you think a new name to go along with all the new features of the next version of the new engine would spark new sales?

No. Again, you can call it whatever you want but it's still the same engine under the hood and people buying a game engine look under the hood and not at the hood ornaments.

In all cases, what makes the biggest impression is the longevity of the company. How many game engines have been around, constantly improving (even if not at a rate we may be happy with), and under the same company for over a decade? How many can you think off the top of your head or even scouring gamedev.net? Not many, if any.

What you are asking Conitec to do is essentially throw that away. They have built up trademark and IP recognition in the industry under the 3DGS label. Whether the products rep is good or bad, it is ALWAYS bad business to through away IP equity for any reason. So while the product has been 3DGS for longer than some of it's users have been alive, you would ask them to take a GAMBLE (because no matter how cool the name sounds, it's all gamble) that dropping that name would generate strong and tangible benefits. As I've stated before, I jus don't see any benefit to a name change.

Quote:

Because being affilitated with and using the technology of "the world's worst game" isn't really a liability

First off, I find this a ridicoulous point to base your opinion of the engine or it's name on. 99% of our games in this community, IF they were finished and IF they were put up for display would earn that label. Unfortunatley, so would 99% of the games made by Torque, 3DBlitz, and even Unreal! Have you learned nothing from our Showcase Forums? Don't you know that it's easier to say "you suck" a thousand times than to take the time to actually pay attention to a game and say "this is ok" even once? That forums are populated by haters and not lovers and they will try to find fault with a game no matter what? And yet you STILL put weight into some anonymous stranger saying that?

Seriously Jetpack, if you are paying attention to the name of the engine and to what strangers say about a game even the author admits didn't push the engine one iota, then you are paying attention to the wrong things about game dev my friend.

So actually my ad would read:
""3D GAMESTUDIO - If you don't like the sound of it, it's because you're focusing on the wrong thing!"

I've been where you are Jetpack trust me. It's hard to believe in an engine when there is nothing to show for it. I know. But in the 5 years that I've used 3DGS, I've been able to raise 250k USD to fund my business (and my business is my educational game) through personal, federal, and state grants. And lest you think that this is because these are industries that don't know game engines (which is true), when I go to the Serious Games Conference or to he GDC and mention my game engine, I get the reaction I talked about above and then we move on. Here is the important part I want to impart on you: Not ONE person at ANY game conference I have EVER attended has EVER dissuaded me from using this engine. That means that other game developers, developers who have been in the industry longer and made more games than all of us combined... all knew the reputation the 3DGS had and yet looked past the reputation at what it could do. While this should NOT be taken as an endorsement of the engine by any of these people, it SHOULD be taken as reassurance that some of the biggest names in game development and publishing that I've met care very little about the engine (or it's name) and more about what I'M doing with it.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:32

So you're telling me they don't want to make more money? That's not what business is about.

I'm not "unhappy that their marketing sucks" but I don't understand why it sucks and I think it is alienating potential customers who choose Torque instead, and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it, regardless if your game is good.
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:41

Quote:

but i don't really like the ugly sounding "acknex".

I agree, sounds like it has a bad case of pimples. "achne"
Posted By: Nems

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:46

over here they call it similar names and discard it outright BUT 'they' never make games, just play them and disparage anything thats not 'Unreal'

'Gamestudio' is going to be the catch word in the future and thats where it will grab the notice of of the disparagers, it only has the rep it does because we are all so 'independant' and rarely collaborate in producing games where the public demands them, FPS, MMO etc...

If you seriously want to get the name on the lips of gameplayers then collaborate and make something they want to play, GStudio is certainly mature enough to do that right now just wish I was

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/28/08 23:56

Quote:

So you're telling me they don't want to make more money? That's not what business is about.

Every company wants to grow and expand. But if you try that too aggressively or beyond your bounds, you are merely sacrificing 5 years of steady profits for one year of spectacular profits and then bankruptcy.

Conitec is a business and they have their price points and balance everything out so they can stay and business and keep improving. ANY change to their current business model is risky and while you are correct that business want to make more money, they will not do it in large, risky steps but rather slow, predictable steps.

That's what we have bought into folks, slow and steady as opposed to fast and flashy. FF is the way that the majority of game engines work... they build great demos, wow the GDC and are hailed as the next unreal, and then the either get bought by unreal or become vaporware. SS is the mark to a successful company and by proxy, a successful game engine.

Quote:

and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it, regardless if your game is good.

I think the root of your misconception is that you are confusing game developers with customers.

The game developers will hold to the PR. They may not want to join your team or ridicule your game for your engine choice, that is true. Every bad game that is made with 3DGS merely makes the game developer happier because they did NOT choose that engine! But the customer is ignorant of these things. I challenge you to find a customer that follows the Unreal franchise of games or the 3DBlitz francise of games, or even the Torque games! They follow "doom" and "gta" and "ff". They care about games and not game engines. And I would argue that a publisher is in the middle: they have to pay attention to the PR lest the game engine truly has a critical failure that will affect the game (and sales) but they also have to pay attention to what a customer would think of the game. IMO unless the publisher cites a critical failure (such as 3DGS's inability to be put on the web), if you get dismissed by a publisher for using 3DGS, that is not a publisher you want to deal with in ANY engine!

Hence the only people that will unjustly associate bad PR with your game because it was built with 3DGS will be the people that aren't paying you (the developers) and not the ones that are potentially paying you (the customers and investors), so I don't see the problem!

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:02

>I think the root of your misconception is that you are confusing game developers with customers.
I am not talking about customers. I am talking about producers and people who are considering investing in a project, only to jump to the conclusion that the project is not worthwhile, not serious, because of the game engine's "click-together" reputation.

>so I don't see the problem!
I've noticed! That doesn't mean it isn't there.

You can repeat "Make a better game!!!" and "Producers don't care!!" all you want, it doesn't fix a thing.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:03

Quote:

Why are we concerned about Conitec's marketing anyway. They are working hard to give us what we demand, and they do not seem to run out of money... for years...

Who says Conitec wants to go big? Growing bigger has it's consequences for every business. Conitec seems a very stable company to me. Doing exactly what it's community asks, you can't possibly ask for a better support on any product!

They probably save a lot of money on marketing because they already have a big community. Money they use to develop the engine to keep you happy. But now you are not happy because Conitec's marketing sucks...

Strange world.

Which suggest to me is. What's wrong with a few of the more advanced
users pitching in and producing a great demo showing of these new features and then contribute it to conitec. Even an upgrade of the default models to more modern ones.

As far as support is concerned.
Try getting support with gamespace. Takes about 1 to 2 months for a reply that's if you get a reply. They don't even give an aproxement date for an upgrade.

I have no complaints about Gamestudio, Great resources, Good support in the forums "When somebody thinks the question is worth the effort of answering or evce giving a tip"

As suggested they are always working hard to provide us with better features. The sound engine is going to get a major overhaul, "I know this because if you look back through this forum you will see the answer when myself and someone else asked about the sound".
Hmmph, "And I get told off for not trying search first before asking a question"

Some get free Gamestudio upgrade compared to other devolping businesses that charge everybody extra money.

nuff said..

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:05

Dunno if you replied to me or not, I shall give an answer nonetheless .
Quote:

I'm telling you that earning more money might not be on top of their ToDo list. I do not know Conitec's goals and visions, but seen how close JCL works with the community, I think their customers are on number 1 rather than expanding the company. And I think they do very good to focus on their community and customers.

Quote:

and if 3D Gamestudio has bad PR, we get the bad PR by proxy, because people will associate your game with it

They associated Big Rigs with gamestudio as well. As far as I know, it's not made with 3dgs. So if your game is good, they wont bash it down because you made it with gamestudio, they wont bash it down at all because you made a good game. They do use 3dgs to empathise how bad a game is, but it's a matter of time before things change. The A7 engine has yet to prove it's power, and it's in full development.

Quote:

If you seriously want to get the name on the lips of gameplayers then collaborate and make something they want to play

Agree on that one .

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:12

Quote:

They associated Big Rigs with gamestudio as well. As far as I know, it's not made with 3dgs.

Why would they have jumped to such a conclusion? So a game sucks, they automatically assume it was made with gamestudio... and that is not a marketing problem why? ....

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:17

Quote:

I've noticed! That doesn't mean it isn't there.

I actually started another thread in Business Forum to tackle this exact question. I've never run into this problem so for me it truly isn't there. But it may be there for you and others that is the crux of that thread: trying to find out exactly what effect the name 3DGS has on investors.

Quote:

I am talking about producers and people who are considering investing in a project, only to jump to the conclusion that the project is not worthwhile, not serious, because of the game engine's "click-together" reputation.

But isn't it true that someone investing in your game would play it first and then base it on it's merits?

And if like it's been stated, people don't even click start for knowing that it's a 3DGS product, are these the people you want to do business with?

People that put a name and a rep above the actual product? Aren't these the same type of producers that allowed Doom 3 to be published becaus it had the hottest "name" in town (only to find the game sucked)?

I'm sorry but it just doesn't make sense to me that a company would dismiss a good game merely because it was built by 3DGS. I've never experienced it and I'm curious to find out about other peoples experiences with rejection because of this.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:19

Quote:

Why would they have jumped to such a conclusion? So a game sucks, they automatically assume it was made with gamestudio... and that is not a marketing problem why? ....

It is a marketing problem, but not yours. It doesn't affect the sales of your game, probably not even if you put "Powered by Gamestudio" on the box.

@Nidhogg:
I'm confused whether your reply is positive or negative, I'm sorry .
Don't mix the forum community with Conitec. The forum can be harsh or ignorant, but almost everything everyone asks to JCL is answered, and I'm sure he and Doug read alot of the forum posts.
I can't say anything about gamespace and it's support. I don't know anything about it or who created it.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:24

>But isn't it true that someone investing in your game would play it first
>and then base it on it's merits?

Not necessarily. Not if you tell them it's made with 3D Gamestudio. And not if it's a prototype in development and you are seeking completion funds. Especially not if you have a whole design and are pitching it to a publisher. They hear "I'm making it with game studio" and they think "big rigs" and "big game hunting"

It's just the way it is.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:36

Quote:

@Nidhogg:
I'm confused whether your reply is positive or negative, I'm sorry .
Don't mix the forum community with Conitec. The forum can be harsh or ignorant, but almost everything everyone asks to JCL is answered, and I'm sure he and Doug read alot of the forum posts.
I can't say anything about gamespace and it's support. I don't know anything about it or who created it.

Sorry Joozey, It's meant to be a positive one.
basicily I mean that if people want to help improve the reputation
of Gamestudio, why not pitch in and spruce up the models and
come up with a good demo that shows of it's features.
Can't blame JCL or Doug for not doing so as they are very busy
keeping us happy with what we would like improved in the engine.

The support side was meant to state as I said. You get great support
on the proviso that you do everything you can to help yourself
first, "That's the bottom line" I have found that unless I can show
that I have a least attempted and show code to prove I have tried,
nobody answers. Sorry but that's how I see it and that's how it is.
Which is fair enough, but can and does upset a lot of new users.

So maybe a more gentle approuch is need as far as new developers
are concerned.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:38

"3D Game Studio"
sounds crappy, and oldschool.

i showed a Demo once to one of the Programmers at work, who was impressed.
When he sked me: Did you write that game,
and i replied, that is runs on the "3D Game Studio" Engine,
he said: "Oh, isn`t that such a game-maker?".

He looked at me, as if I would say i made it with Microsoft QBasic.

Gamestudio simply associates with a "click together" game-maker,
and it has a bad image due to lots of crappy hobby games, that many people saw
before. The good games are not really noticed / remembered to come from the same engine.

Conitec should rethink its maketing approach and make a new brand-name,
(and Hompage), to adress the "Apple IPod" generation, where style plays a
big role.

And I can suggest, that publishers will simply discount a product
simply by "its made with a gamemaker", and thus bargin for a lower
compensation of the developer. And by this (simply by the gamestudio name) it lowers
the attraction to use the engine for serious development.
Changing the name is not hard. And as suggested, the more Costly packages (eg Pro)
should get a new branding.
Casual hobby programmers can still grap for the known gamestudio "starter" versions.
But they will less likely look for the costly Releases right away.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:47

Quote:

Gamestudio simply associates with a "click together" game-maker,

And that is also one of it's main goals, or so to say, was . Though we demand alot of new features to compete with torque and others, 3d gamestudio's main target was the artist and newbie audience, to make a game with just a few clicks. It was really their goal, and I almost got the feeling that the community changed the goals into their own demands . Not that it is a bad thing nowadays (you wont make it very far with a clicktogether game without satisfying the pro users) but back then it could have been a great hole in the market.

Maybe this is where Gamestudio fell in it's own hole, and now is stuck with a bad reputation. But time shall heal, I'm sure of that.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:52

"Flash" or "Shockwave" also follow such an easy approach for hobby developers.
But they still sound more sexy than "3D Game Studio".
And Gamestudio can realize more complex projects than them...

Think about it: Apple!
They would never be so succesfull today, if their Products would
be called Musicplayer FI2. and look like that:

no they look like that:

They are not technologically so much more advanced, the products simple have
a much better style and feeling maketed to the public.
Apple simply understood at one point how to marked and style
pretty casual technology in a "right" way.

People simply look for style nowerdays.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 00:53

conitec iGine
conitec Force 7 GS/E (game system/engine)
a7 featuring cBabe of Nine, the sexy work drone
Indie an' a JCL
a8: a new hope
3D game Studio MAX (funny, what a single word more stirs up in you...)
4D game studio
lottegine
conitec iGame
Unreal LiteC-ment
my3dgs
i3dgs
3dg.net
a7 2.0
reloaded
revolution
game baker

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 02:15

Can't call it 3D anyway, It needs 3D sound as well to be called
3D or at least 3D virtual sound.

So by rights it's just a 3D graphics game engine, Am I right?

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 02:32

lol @ game baker
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 03:14

Auschwitz Engine?

Analigine?

Limitations Engine?

Oidutsemag D3?

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 09:20

@Joozey:

Quote:

...3d gamestudio's main target was the artist ...

Good joke... hahaha!!!
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 09:58

"3D GameStudio" sounds old-school because it shouldn't need to advertise the "3D" part this century.

i'm happier to refer to it as "GameStudio" because it sounds less old-school, and i understand it being called "GameStudio" because it's not just an engine.

however i'd like the option to name the window myself because most games will have their own title on the window (and the minimize bar).
or i'd at least like the option to put "A7" because, apart from the fact that it sounds cooler, "3D Gamestudio" or "GameStudio" makes the bold implication that i use the whole studio and not just Lite-C and the "A7 engine" that powers 3D GameStudio.

i don't.

i like how concise "A7" is, and i'm more than happy to refer to it as that. i don't mind the 3D GameStudio brand name. the only thing i don't like is giving the impression that i use some all-in-one studio to make my game, when i don't.

keep the name, but i'd like to be able to use "A7" for the window title, or even better, my own title.

julz
Posted By: Slin

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 10:15

Quote:

keep the name, but i'd like to be able to use "A7" for the window title, or even better, my own title.

http://www.conitec.net/beta/avideo_window.htm
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 11:33

Why is the name of 3D gamestudio this important? People here should really care more about features of the engine and concentrate on making their games the best they can with the tools they have at their disposal.

Just say you use a middle-ware engine, publishers really rarely care about the engine as long as the game is any good. They will be more interested in demos and other showcase material and perhaps design documents anyways. In fact, mostly saying you're using a 3D engine is enough on the subject of engines anyways, as Fastlane69 said most of the publisher probably won't really know 3DGamestudio anyways.

Quote for truth:
Quote:

And about 50% didn't know 3DGS and the other 50% predictably called it hobbyware. The ones who didn't know where mildly curious about it's feature set and then moved onto the game. The ones who did know, after a few minutes talking about it, they did NOT have that opinion and agreed that their opinion was second hand and not borne of using the product.

Cheers
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 11:38

cool i don't see it on the beta page though. or maybe it's an old option and i've just missed it

julz

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 12:48

Quote:

Why is the name of 3D gamestudio this important? People here should really care more about features of the engine and concentrate on making their games the best they can with the tools they have at their disposal.

Here here... I totally agree.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 15:02

Quote:

Quote:

Here here... I totally agree.

That sounds good in theory, but wait til you are showing your demo at a development event or publisher-developer event, when a producer shows interest and asks more about it, you say you made it in Gamestudio.. watch their faces drop and hear that awkward reluctance, you will feel different.

When/if it happens to you, you'll understand.

I expect 5 more replies to this with "FOCUS ON YOUR GAME!" "PRODUCERS DON'T CARE!" and "Obviously your work isn't good enough and you are using this as an excuse!". That all sounds good superficially, but when you get that frown of disapproval, you will know what I am talking about.

There is no escaping the bias against gamestudio. Sorry.

This is why, at least Pro, needs rebranding to get away from "Authoring games has never been easier!" Authoring suggests "no programming" which is far away from the truth of Gamestudio development.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 15:40

Quote:

This is why, at least Pro, needs rebranding to get away from "Authoring games has never been easier!" Authoring suggests "no programming" which is far away from the truth of Gamestudio development.

actually, that was the catch phrase why i first got it. maybe you have already grown out of the acknex shoes...?

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 16:05

Quote:

That sounds good in theory, but wait til you are showing your demo at a development event or publisher-developer event, when a producer shows interest and asks more about it, you say you made it in Gamestudio.. watch their faces drop and hear that awkward reluctance, you will feel different.

When/if it happens to you, you'll understand.

I expect 5 more replies to this with "FOCUS ON YOUR GAME!" "PRODUCERS DON'T CARE!" and "Obviously your work isn't good enough and you are using this as an excuse!". That all sounds good superficially, but when you get that frown of disapproval, you will know what I am talking about.

There is no escaping the bias against gamestudio. Sorry.

I understand where your comming from. some of us do it for a hobby
develop a game here and there and stay away from the big developing companies as we are happy with just the few extra dollars.

While others want to take it further and go the whole hog.
Get there product published by some major company EA,Sierra etc.
So they don't want to be branded as a person who can't "develop a game without using point and click".

As far as that's concerned, I for one can do without the headaches
of companies being more demanding of a more dazzleing wow look at that
for the next project, The extra paperwork of doing taxes and all the other blah blah blah. Been there done that in a sort of fashion.

I used to own a hardware and software business, You wouldn't believe the amount of crap you have to go threw when you get involed
with major software distributors.

Anyway all I am trying to say is that it looks like a 50/50 split
as to who thinks it's neccessary and who doesn't.

Users who want to go far, want the options.
Users who aren't all that concerned about mega bucks are happy with
the way things are. Am I right

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 17:55

Quote:

Quote:

actually, that was the catch phrase why i first got it. maybe you have already grown out of the acknex shoes...?

No, and this is the problem. "Acknex shoes" are now big enough to accomodate professional developers, but the packaging still says "made for kids."

Indie developers who should be using A7 are skipping it for Torque just because they see that "made for kids" reputation, and dismiss the engine without seeing how it has grown, when it is actually a superior middleware engine (which it is, with its superior art path, excellent scripting language and ABT scene management, and 0 royalties).

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 19:27

Quote:

Indie developers who should be using A7 are skipping it for Torque just because they see that "made for kids" reputation, and dismiss the engine without seeing how it has grown, when it is actually a superior middleware engine (which it is, with its superior art path, excellent scripting language and ABT scene management, and 0 royalties).

you don't seem to know torque well otherwise... well. that doesn't contribute to the topic.
do you really mean they skip 3dgs and go to torque just because of the name? i'd say they skip it because the engine is faster, offers mac support, has superior terrain support, has been proven in some really commercial quality titles and has a real game company on its back.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 19:36

Quote:

you don't seem to know torque well otherwise...

No. I know what I am talking about. I have seriously considered Torque up close, especially after a prospective producer tried very hard to convince me to move the game to it, because of his own anti-gamestudio prejudice. This is completely off topic though. It has a ghastly art path unless you use their world editor, BSP levels only, horrible tools for converting models, no ABT/Octree rendering, god awful documentation. There are no fbx importers. You are at the mercy of tools written by enthusiasts for converting your files to their proprietary model format. These tools are not well written nor supported by Garage Games.

Polygon collision is poorly implemented unless you use the clumsy Polysoup add on, or build BSP geometry beneath the models. You have to compile the engine itself if you want to use it. A

I don't personally need their terrain engine nor BSP, and my levels are built entirely out of polymesh geometry. So for me, personally, A7 is vastly superior. For my needs, Torque is useless.

And A7 is easier to program. Whatever speed difference is negligible. I get ~60 fps on my complex levels without trouble on a middle end machine.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 21:18

Quote:

Even though not recently, I have already been in that position actually and quite frankly back then I've really talked about the engine for literally only a few seconds. I said I use the Acknex engine and said that I program the game myself. Acknex engine didn't ring a bell, which was fine because that was a perfect way of moving on to the actual game, showing them footage of (prototype)gameplay and so on. Whilst showing the game I did mention sóme engine features, but I didn't focus on that at all.

They actually were interested. It probably would have worked out if I wouldn't have been the one who didn't want their deal (they came to me). They had a small list of things that they wanted me to add to the game which I didn't feel like doing and their deadline was unrealistic at that time (it's a while ago and I wasn't quite up to the task).

Looking back at it I probably should have accepted the deal and just look where it would go along the way,

Cheers

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 21:29

Quote:

. "Acknex shoes" are now big enough to accomodate professional developers, but the packaging still says "made

Maybe Conitec's new slogan should be

"Strong enough for a professional (Screenshot of Ichiro working at a station), but made for a novice! (Jetpack kicks Ichiro of the station and starts working)"

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 21:57

Wow. Well, I can't top that.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 22:31

The difference may be the different location.
I donīt know the reputation of GS in the USA, when it comes to a professional level.

But here in germany there is the chance to leave some kind of bad taste.
You canīt simply negate that fact.

Iīve experienced this behaviour at the Games Convention 2007 in Leipzig on our exhibition booth.

The world is divided into those people who consider GS as professional and those who consider GS a toy.
And you canīt tell them the fact, that it is also a toy, but on the other side a good, stable, effective and wide-ranged toolset.
They donīt believe it.

We are looking indeed to make a techdemo that should show what A7 is capable of. And for me A7 is just a tool,
there is no need "to be proud of it". Engines are exchangeable.

But Iīm used to A7 and itīs very capable - I wonīt drop it just for the name.
So we (Jetpack, HeelX, me...) are in some kind of an awkward position.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 23:06

Zeitgeist Engine!

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 23:26

how about jetpack engine or just jetpack?

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 23:52

... The Jetpack engine is already licensed for the Sinclair ZX Spectrum

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/29/08 23:58

the name was jetpac without k. i liked that game when i was a child.
Posted By: Metal_Thrasher

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 05:00

I really don't understand why anybody is at all concerned with Conitec's marketing. I could a flying f--- whether they have a alot of user or not. Here I find a nice little niche. I only care that they make the features we want possible for us. I'd rather than improve the form than the fashion. The features should be able to speak for themselves, that is what will truely reshape people concept of 3DGS. Not to relate 3DGS to a pig- but you know you can put lipstick on a pig it dosent make it hotter.
I'm more concerned about what conitec can do for us over what they can do for potential constomers. I say f--- the potential customers, they're not my businiess, or yours either.
Posted By: old_bill

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 06:16

@Metal_Thrasher:
It's not about potential customers, it's about publishers (and maybe other developers as well).

But neverless, the whole discussion is a marketing decision in general.
In first line, Conitec is (or should be) interested in selling the product
to potential developers, and take a look around, we all bought it.

I can see your points, but remeber how long it took till the old webpage was
replaced some years ago, do you relly think that the whole marketing direction
will change over night?
As long as the engine itself is still selling, why should there be any motivation for
jcl changing a working concept? He don't gains any royalities for your sold games, so where would
be his personal carrot about investing time and money into a change?
Of course, the world around us isn't on hold (Torque etc), but as long sales still going on,
it's very unlikely in my opinion that something will change.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 08:57

So far, "Gamestudio" and "A7" works quite well for us despite all valid objections about "lack of coolness" that one might have.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler *DELETED* - 01/30/08 12:40

Post deleted by JetpackMonkey
Posted By: jcl

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 12:46

Yes, we also know of cases where a publisher tried to persuade developers to use 3D RAD, Torque, or Dark Basic for a certain project. This has however not much to with the name, and is not a problem of Gamestudio but of all development tools likewise. You probably won't have less problems with this particular publisher when Gamestudio is renamed to "Zzyzx Engine". All those cases that we know were resolved by just explaining to the publisher the disadvantages that his proposal had.
Posted By: ello

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 12:52

Quote:

..You probably won't have less problems with this particular publisher when Gamestudio is renamed to "Zzyzx Engine".

even more, its much harder to pronounce

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler *DELETED* - 01/30/08 12:56

Post deleted by JetpackMonkey

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/30/08 18:30

Quote:

They want to know that their investment is safe, that you know what you are doing..

Remember Jetpack, Investors invest in teams and people, not software or hardware. Their investment is safe if the team can deliver in whatever engine you use. I'll always remember this from a VC meeting I had: "A good team can make profits out of a bad idea; a bad team will incur losses every with a good idea." Hence, even if the bad idea is 3DGS, a good team can make it work. Remember this next time you go to a pub. Try to sell the TEAM first, the GAME second, and then the game engine is mostly irrelevant.

Quote:

Have there been any commercially sucessful games "clicked together" with gamestudio, popular enough to win the confidence of someone who is going to invest tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars in a game?

Of course not! Again, you are employing the wrong stratagy of playing to the bad PR. If the name is associated with bad games, you want to change the name. If people refer to the engine as "click together", you want a commercially successful click together game as a counterpoint.

So that instead of sticking to your guns and your ideals and your game, you are bending over backward for a publisher who has no interest in any of these!

Bottom Line: if you game looks and plays click together, then the Publisher is right to not invest in your team. But if your game looks and plays well, then the publisher is wrong to dismiss your team because it used 3DGS and 3DGS has that feature (independent of whether you used it or not).

BTW, this is how this exactly same arguement would play out on Torque:
Ejem....

"So garage-games. I love your Torque engine I really do but when I went to a publisher, they tried to get me to switch to Unreal becasue they knew that Torque has a reputation for having Starter Kits. I would love for you to change your name so that publishers wouldn't assciate my game with a Starter Kit game. I mean let's face it, every time I go up to someone and tell them I use the Torque engine, they look at me and ask "isn't that the one with the starter kits so all you have to do is tweak it to have a game?" and when I say yes, they look at my game like it's contaminated and say "OH".

Please garage-games, change the Torque name. I don't want my game to be associated with all the bad games that come from the Starter Kit"

Same problem. Different Engine.

And as for Take-Two wanting you to switch to Torque, this could be due to any number of reasons not having to do with 3DGS. Maybe the publisher is more familiar with that engine and thus is more comformatable using it. Maybe Mac's are a big demographic for the publisher. Maybe they are tired of people spending one month on a game engine and presenting it to them like it's the next GTA!!!

Jetpack, if I may suggest a change in strategy? It's obvious that the name will not be changed; you knew that from the begining. But the crux of this and other threads has NOTHING to do with the name or click-together... it has EVERYTHING to do with how to get a publishing deal. As such, might I recommend that you work that angle and start asking people with successful pub deals (Ichiro and Nardalus come to mind) how they got those deals with 3DGS? Isn't that really what we are after, not a name change but insight into how to get a pub. deal?
Posted By: MaxF

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/31/08 02:04

I like the name and think its cool already - just my 2 cents

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 01/31/08 21:16

Quote:

Same problem. Different Engine.

Although that's true, it's also a tad easier to throw around some names of successful Torque-engine based games I think... so perhaps the PR issue isn't a big problem there?

Personally I think people shouldn't advertise their games by saying with which engine it's made anyways, because it's secondary information... If it's the Unreal Engine 3, sure go ahead and tell them, but if it's anything but the Unreal Engine 3, simply be careful what you say regardless of how good the engine you're using really is or what features you are using.

If you're talking to a publisher it has to be just about the last thing you will tell them, unless they insist on some more info on what technology you're using. I would never insist on not telling them the name of the engine I use of course, but a better way is just to show the game in action instead of letting a publisher decide based on their bias towards a name.

Still, perhaps the little experience I have with all this isn't representative,

Cheers
Posted By: lionclaws

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/01/08 06:55

JCL, "Zzyzx Engine"!...like ello said,it's kind of hard to pronounce;

but cooooooool.3DGS is just as cool.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/01/08 09:24

Yz!
Posted By: pararealist

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/05/08 22:41

Hi, it would probably make Gamestudio cost more. Name changing in business is expensive.

Anyway, it says in the name what it does, a studio for creating games, more than that one does not need.

Only problem is that all the other gamestudios out there, one especally, keeps coming up when i search for gamestudio.

But, GSTUDIOA7 is also a good name as far as i am concerned, and i install in this (named) folder.

AND it is getting better and better, almost daily.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/06/08 23:13

It must not be a full change.
As Conitec has gamestudio as Brandname, the gamestudio brand itself should not be dropped.

It is about the more expensive versions. (eg Pro)
If they would get a new market appearence, it would make the product more "sleek" for
proposing it as platform for development. (for the reasons discussed above)

Lite-C for example is also a new brand name. Conitec could have called it "3D Game Studio C",
wich would not have been a good choice.
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/10/08 14:34

Torque is not that superior in terms of ease of use, this is something found in their forum:
Quote:

You just have to choose what fits your teams skill level. Just look at what successful indie games are out there, only a tiny fraction are made with Torque. There's a lot of catching up for Garage Games to do, it's not enough to have pretty shaders and shadows, those can be done with almost any engine to the same level and are fundamentaly an art tool, not so much an engine feature.

One area that Torque still stands out is networking, and in some ways even though BSP and CSG is somewhat outdated, it does make it easy to mod and create simple levels even for a novice. Something that fits nicely in a gamers comfort zone with familiarity of similar tools helping get them running off the bat.

At the end of the day it doesn't make it any easier to actualy go on to finish a game, and limits what you can do to some extent because making torque work in genres it wasn't designed for is extremely difficult without an experienced team with solid C++ knowledge.

I think Torque got better reputation because there is an "AAA" game made with it, but it could be Tough for small or solo developer to create a game, the Torque script is not flexible enough, you can only create mod base on the build-in engine behaviour, or create unique behaviour by modify the engine, or buy those CONTENT PACK!

Edit:
Maybe Conitec consider to change the description order in their web site:

Professional
Advanced
Beginner

Strongly emphasis the template system call "T7 Engine" for beginner. Click together game is using "T7 Engine". Now the template system is list first in the forecast page, I think critical engine features like "New engine features", "Shader", "lite-C", "In-game editor", "WED/MED improvement" should list first.
Posted By: JustOneOldMan

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/13/08 05:28

Long read in this thread, but in the end I'm not sure what a name change would do for an established product.

If Metallica changed their name to "The Friendly Guys With Nice Hair" would we not still know they're Metallica? And if Elton John changed his name to "Bad Ass Punk Rocker From The Depths of Hades" wouldn't we still know it's Elton John?

If you found the coolest name in the world for a game engine, changed GameStudio to it, and walked into a publishers office tomorrow with a game made from it, does anybody really think the publisher would say "Well that's better then, has to be a good game now with a new cool game engine name like that, Here, give me a look at it".

I kind of think they would say "You mean GameStudio?"

It's kind of like saying that when you take your Ford Pinto to the race track they laugh at you, so the next day you come back with a Mustang sticker on it, and everybody now takes you seriously and begs you to race.

Being new here and to GameStudio I may be out in left field on this, but somehow I can't imagine a name change actually changing the image of a well established company. Besides, GameStudio seems to fit, and personally after being around other dev sites quite a bit I don't think GS has all that bad a reputation. A lot of people that hang out at GarageGames and also use Torque actually speak pretty highly of it.

I do agree with everyone that's said they should have better marketing and much better and more current demo to show off the engine...
Posted By: bomber

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/13/08 12:06

Well 3dgs is famous now, everyone knows about 3d gamestudio, even if they like it or not if you change the name, even if you say"this is 3dgamestudio" it'll take a long time before it gets famous
Posted By: FBL

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/13/08 12:12

Let's face it: They already dropped the "3d" from the official name, most people here (including me) didn't even notice this change and still refer to "3dgs".
This won't change with another name change.

Using "T7" for advertising might work out, but in first place I agree with the lack of quality demos. It's not especially that there are none, but I think they are not placed very good. For the potential customer demos linked in Wiki and forum can be considered as very well hidden.
Take a look at how other companies do that: http://www.quest3d.com/index.php?id=15

Without wanting to advertise this engine or start a discussion about its features (so don't even think about starting another engine war here), I think this page works out very well.
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/13/08 16:46

Quote:

Lite-C for example is also a new brand name. Conitec could have called it "3D Game Studio C",
wich would not have been a good choice.

That's how I advertised the engine in my dissertation. You just can't study in uni for 4 years and state you've made your final year project using "3D GameStudio". Of course, i did use A6 Pro, but I've lied that I've used Lite-C instead. In the end, no one really cared...

part of my presentation

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/14/08 17:20

I wrote my diploma thesis about RFID.
(the little radio tags, that will eventually replace the barcode in a couple of years
on all consumer products)

A main reference book, was actually "RFID for Dummies", mainly for
covering the topic in broad terms.
There where many other papers/books for specific points, but I actually used the book the most.

I had to kind of hide it in the references, putting it in the middle of the reference table, as it really
did not sound well to use a "for Dummies" book. (although the book is a good review of the industry/technology)

-> Wrong naming, can really hurt a product.
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/14/08 19:57

And that pretty much sums it up. The 'for Dummies' series is doing good because it's attractive to people with limited knowledge in an area, yet it can provide more useful information than other books, because it's a good series. I think conitec is following the same logic with Gamestudio..

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/14/08 22:28

The "Dummies" books do somthing other books dont: they sum up an Area, to get a quick overview.
This starting point is often more important, than masses on specific papers, when the reader still does not
understand the structure of the topic.
3dgs is helping similar, by providing "nutshell" sollutions for gamedevelopment.
Going into detail is easier, if the user knows a complete the area in general terms.
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/15/08 00:48

So maybe that sounds good to create a new a edition call Gamestudio Dummy edition.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/15/08 08:56

Quote:

So maybe that sounds good to create a new a edition call Gamestudio Dummy edition.

I thought Larry (Aris) is working on the Dummy edition?

But yes, I agree completely. Gamestudio is a good starting point for game-developing, learning how it all works together. And since it is the Dummy-tool of the marktet it attracts most of the newcomers. This is a bigger market than experienced users and thus Gamestudio is a better success than an advanced comprehensive but powerful indie tool like C4, S2, Lawmaker or whatever.

But competition jumps on this waggon as well. Unity3d and Gamecore (formerly Beyond Virtual) try to achieve the same with tons of good templates, complete tool-set and even commercial tutorials with personal tutors.

It is getting hot there and so it is also important to leave a good impression afterwards. So if a newcomer really worked into the software then he will spread information about experiences and impressions. He will tell about the power of the product and he will simply compare it to commercial games he played in his life.

So it comes to the point to deliver both: ease of use and power. The resulting game projects or professional demos play a very important role there, not only scripting, no - the entire product including lighting, speed, animation, sound - just the result that finds its way through the screen and the speaker of the machines involved.

This all will make the reputation of Gamestudio. It can change something. IntenseX could change something, the upcoming fbx level-importer can change something. A second uv-set with simple handling of light-maps will do so. A professional game-demo can change the impression.

Changing the name is what some users did often in the forums with their user names. But most of us still remember them and their actions. It does not change reputation.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/16/08 18:46

Quote:

-> Wrong naming, can really hurt a product.

And yet, has there been a CHANGE to the "for dummies" title since it came out?
Have SALES hurt becasue it's called "for dummies"?
Did YOU not buy the product or use it because it was called "for dummies"?

The answer is no to all cases which is exactly what Conitec should do!
Posted By: Christian__A

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/18/08 15:50

The problem is not the name itself - but people have seen many bad looking games or played ugly games built with 3dgs, so they associate "3dgs" with bad graphics and ugly gameplay (which has really nothing to do with the engine!). Changing the name would help to get rid of this prejudice for maybe one year (people won't stop building bad games just because the engine has a more "cool" name). Then you can start searching a new name again. I do not really like the name "3d game studio" - but instead of thinking about new names you should start to build good looking and playable games. This would really help the reputation of 3dgs.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/19/08 09:22

I think the same way most people said before me, name change will fork for a little while and then everybody will know its 3dgs (and im sure people continue saying 3dgs to it.).

Since the "thing" is not changed, there is no need to change the name.
It should be advertised better, better looking games & demos & successful titles shoul placed or at least referred at the front page. And this is true that bad looking games that have 3dgs on it makes eninge look bad.

Better looking demos or games or a great "Tech Demo" will work. Engine is great, all it needs some advertesing and show off.

There are some games that made really good, like Strefa 22 or Kabus 22 or (some cyrillic characters) 22 . They are all same game released in turkish,polish,russian and will be released at the Czech Republic and Germany(7 March 2008). Turkish version released with full turkish and english speech sound & subtitles, and french,italian and some other langugaes with subs.(take a look at the table on the right http://tr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kabus_22 it says oyun motoru(engine) : Acknex (3D Game Studio)). Its not the best that can be done with A6 but still its good.

Such succesfull games should be made and used to advertise the engine (others do it.)
Posted By: slacker

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/19/08 14:54

I am not going to read through 9 pages of thoughts on this, but have always agreed - 'the infinity engine' or somethin

I got in when it was Acknex...
Posted By: jonkuhl

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/19/08 18:00

I always thought the "A" stood for Awesomesauce . . .

But I do agree. I've always thought the name "3d Gamestudio" sounded rather plain.

Re: Make "3D Gamestudio" sound cooler - 02/19/08 19:30

>I always thought the "A" stood for Awesomesauce . .

oh man yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dingding +5 stars
© 2024 lite-C Forums