WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving

Posted By: Dan Silverman

WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/17/09 21:43

I find that WEDs 3D view is fairly slow with heavy scenes. In other editors, such as Unity's, a heavy scene renders quickly, allowing the developer to move through the scene in real time, even at virtually full screen. In WED it is much slower, even on a high end PC.

WED's 3D view also needs a better quality real-time display. In today's world, the real-time display should be very near to what you see in the compiled game.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/17/09 22:27

A8 totally new interface !
Posted By: Poison

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 07:40

why A8?
A7 is far away from being finished!

@David
wait for the GED, look at the forecast for more informations and a screen :P

Poison
Posted By: pararealist

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 10:52

The jump usually comes around May/June every year if i am not
wrong, hence A7 will soon be taken over by A8.
Posted By: Quad

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 11:11

i dont think there will be a a8 this year.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 11:32

I've got the same impression as Quadraxas.

Based on something ( that I cant currently remember) that was said by JCL,
somewhere in the future forum...
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 12:31

Originally Posted By: Quadraxas
i dont think there will be a a8 this year.

You mean: "Never!" ??
Posted By: Hitsch

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 12:36

I remeber reading somewhere that A8 is not just around the corner, but that A7 is going to be updated gradually.

Why never? I don't think (hope) that they would just give up this engine. With the right parts updated, this could continue on and keep it's share of the market.

That was one of the reasons I decided to buy, even though A7 has been out for a while!
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 13:58

Please read my post again and the quote. It's impossible in this year; Because it will be the shortest time for Acknex ever!
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/18/09 17:02

the ged is the alternative, in the early stage, is visible
the infinity funtions will be
Posted By: Widi

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/19/09 22:21

GED looks good, i`m waiting for that!!!!

Now i?m work with my own script for create, moving, rotate and scale Models "in the game". But i have to save all this Modelcoordinates and other stuff in a external txt file and set them with ent_create. Not the best solution, but better than WED. It is really hard to set some Models over a terrain at the right position with WED.
Posted By: jcl

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/21/09 08:10

Back to the original question: The WED 3D window can't render much faster. But there are many methods to navigate faster, for instance reducing the view depth, switching off parts of the level, or rendering blocks when the camera is moved.

For real faster rendering you'd need the engine to render the window, as in GED.

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/21/09 14:43

Quote:
For real faster rendering you'd need the engine to render the window, as in GED.

Yes. And if WED is to be useful as a tool, then the engine should render in the perspective window, as in GED. I realize that GED has it place (and, frankly, I still need to test it ... perhaps later today), but it just makes since to have ONE editor (not WED, GED, etc) to create and/or put together your level, level lighting, entities, etc.
Posted By: amy

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/24/09 23:59

Quote:
but it just makes since to have ONE editor
I fully agree. Gamestudio needs ONE good editor.
Posted By: Felixsg

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/25/09 00:04

Probably GED are the star of a transition
I hope not stop like truespace
Posted By: FBL

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/26/09 18:59

GED can be plugged into WED.

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/26/09 23:56

Quote:
GED can be plugged into WED.

It's not quite the same thing as having the ability to access GED (open and run the program) from within WED as it is to have WED's view ports improved. All we can do in GED is place already created objects. I can't create anything in GED. Currently you cannot even place lights (though they say that will come in the future).

In my opinion, either WED needs to be improved or dropped. Let us create 3D content completely in another 3D application and simply use GED to put it all together, or make WED a competent package all around. WED is not bad (in my opinion), but it could be so much more.
Posted By: Frederick_Lim

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/27/09 07:20

Maybe if GED is good enough then WED will become Pro only feature for create CSG and BSP map.

Everyone will miss WED laugh
Posted By: FBL

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/27/09 13:13

This first step with GED is an indicator that they are working on improving the current situation.
Regardless how often you complain here, always remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.
At least in our world, where we don't have magic powers smile

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/27/09 18:27

Quote:
This first step with GED is an indicator that they are working on improving the current situation.
Regardless how often you complain here, always remember that Rome wasn't built in a day.
At least in our world, where we don't have magic powers

Haha. I agree. However, Conitec seems to be moving fairly slowly and GED is not the first time they had tried to have a separate mode for placing objects. The previous project failed, if I remember correctly. GED may be a step in the right direction. I don't know. We shall see and I am willing to wait. However, at this point in time it does not look like WED is going away. If it is here to stay, then what I suggested remains true. The view port speeds need to be improved and the visual quality needs to be improved. Even modo, with its advanced OpenGL view, displays a much nicer real-time 3D environment with full effects for bump maps, normal maps and OpenGL reflections.
Posted By: ratchet

Re: WED 3D View Speed Needs Improving - 04/30/09 14:40

Well i agree with Dan, Wed is really slow.

The suggestion is good :
instance reducing the view depth, switching off parts of the level, or rendering blocks when the camera is moved.

But rendering blocks is not top when you want to preview all scene when moving at same time an object.
Perhaps for people creating a game without any BSP Blocks, it would be possible to use a future version of Ged only instead of Wed ?
© 2024 lite-C Forums