MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8?

Posted By: rojart

MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/09/09 14:57

Would be a very impressive feature for the new Acknex 8 Version in the future.

Note: "MegaTexture refers to a texture allocation technique facilitating the use of an extremely large terrain texture instead of repeating multiple smaller textures. It is featured in Splash Damage's game, Enemy Territory: Quake Wars and was developed by id Software technical director John Carmack.
MegaTexturing employs a single large texture for static terrain. The texture is stored on the hard disk and streamed as needed, allowing large amounts of detail and variation over a large area with comparatively little RAM usage. The upcoming game Rage powered by the id Tech 5 engine uses textures that measure up to 128000 x 128000 pixels."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MegaTexture
http://s09.idav.ucdavis.edu/talks/05-JP_id_Tech_5_Challenges.pdf

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBPqrhY3hw[/video]

Posted By: DavideG

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/09/09 15:25

my full agreement...
Posted By: Espér

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/09/09 15:39

yes.. would be great. especially for Racing games, where you can see the Street texture really clear..
Posted By: Quad

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/09/09 16:40

yes, indeed a great feature.

but there are things with higher priority imo.
Posted By: Superku

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/13/09 01:28

Creating these textures seems to me to be a lot work, though.
Posted By: Nowherebrain

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/13/09 20:04

I imagine(I've seen the video's)this is very "handy" in the end is it not the same as swapping constantly, on one hand you swap a bunch of 512pow2 textures and the other swaps out chunks in 512pows chunks....am I wrong?
The way I understood it, is it was for the artists convenience at level editing time....for the most part.

Do not get me wrong....I want I want.
Posted By: Yaz90

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/18/09 10:52

This will not work greatly without a proper realtime editor and painting tools with the speed.
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/18/09 11:31

To implement something like this you need some multi-threaded background loading of models and textures first and a very efficient scene-management. The file and memory management including fast and good compression is the key to implement something like this. The side-effect is that it can run on systems with low memory as well (like game consoles).
Posted By: penut

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/20/09 03:43

We need this!
Posted By: jcl

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/20/09 08:30

This technique offers many possibilities and we'll implement streaming textures in a future version. But probably not for A7 - the A7 kernel is not very well suited for this.
Posted By: Hummel

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/20/09 16:16

nice to hear

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 10/28/09 16:28

I'm not overly interested in "mega_anything"..streaming textures???? could you elaborate JCL?
Posted By: rojart

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/16/09 23:12

Originally Posted By: jcl
This technique offers many possibilities and we'll implement streaming textures in a future version. But probably not for A7 - the A7 kernel is not very well suited for this.

Big Thanks, that's one small new feature for the Engine, but a giant leap for Game Designers and I wait impatiently for A8 now wink

Originally Posted By: Nowherebrain
...Do not get me wrong....I want I want.

Originally Posted By: Nowherebrain
I'm not overly interested in "mega_anything"..streaming textures???? could you elaborate JCL?

@Nowherebrain, Are You a Cynic?
Some Information, (only in German)

Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 17:47

also check out this video, a guy has made his owm implementation. incredible detail on the objects:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p49vOX-_LyU&feature=related

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 19:16

I am not that interested in it, but I will not say I do not want to a new feature. I am a one man show, I have no time to detail paint everything, model everything, and code everything(I know what mega-textures are)so, to me streaming textures and levels are far more interesting.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 19:44

i agree with Nowherebrain, i also dont care much for this feature, cant try and jump for every next gen feature we see, i'd also much rather streaming textures, levels and so on, now that would be awesome
Posted By: ratchet

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 20:47

And will you be able to create a whole level with lot of very detailled and different textures ??

Caus even today not lot of people create very detailled levels with very detailled textures already ! So why asking more power if you can't even today make very good textures in an AAA looking game ?

Just my personnal thoughts !
Yeah i prefer the planned Streamming textures to avoid the memory limits !
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 21:15

am yet to undertake a full level but am aware of what i'll need when i get there based on tests so far, this thinking is why gs is in the state its in, they say "noone has used the present tools to do it yet so why spend time making more"
Posted By: ventilator

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/29/09 22:04

mega textures actually are streaming textures. or is there any difference? ...and i think this feature would be quite useless without a state of the art level editor where you can paint and edit those textures.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/30/09 02:52

Originally Posted By: ratchet
And will you be able to create a whole level with lot of very detailled and different textures ??

Caus even today not lot of people create very detailled levels with very detailled textures already ! So why asking more power if you can't even today make very good textures in an AAA looking game ?

Just my personnal thoughts !
Yeah i prefer the planned Streamming textures to avoid the memory limits !
Originally Posted By: darkinferno
am yet to undertake a full level but am aware of what i'll need when i get there based on tests so far, this thinking is why gs is in the state its in, they say "noone has used the present tools to do it yet so why spend time making more"

I actually agree with dark inferno in this case. making a mega texture is actually a very difficult process. do you realize the time it takes to design a texture that huge?
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/30/09 08:25

The main reason for using mega-textures is to have multi-texture terrains with unlimited textures. They obviously aren't rendered as multi-texture terrains, but they are produced as such.

Such a feature would be very welcome.

Jibb
Posted By: ratchet

Re: MegaTextures (VirtualTextures) with A8? - 11/30/09 21:46

Well Streaming textures, are textures loaded when needed only in the fly.
Mega textures is creating (with specific tools i hope), a big texture containing all your level textures without siez limit like a big big File (like the old WAD games file that contained all level and textures if i remember well ?? ) !

Well let's Conitec make it and see if there is someone that will find a good use, not only bad textures put together !
© 2024 lite-C Forums