Replace ancient prefabs

Posted By: slacer

Replace ancient prefabs - 12/19/09 21:27

If you update your default WAD and the prefabs folder you would enable beginners to create nice levels using the templates.

Just make a deal with Dexsoft, Terminal 26, Geometricks...

Let the community vote for a theme... what ever it takes to get rid of these ancient prefabs.

Most beginners can not create models or code. Just give them something better to start with.
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/20/09 11:23

I completly agree. A deal with e.g. Dexsoft would not be too expensive and would allow beginners to create much better looking levels in short time (according to the marketing conzept of 3D-Gamestudio wink ).

As slacer said, especially the prefabs and the standard.wad(!!!!) are hopelessly outdated.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/20/09 11:30

agreed. also 1 or 2 sample levels using the new and hopefully better prefabs could be even better.
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/20/09 13:03

this would make the whole engine look more professional, too.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/21/09 12:13

The prefabs and standard.wad are from 1998 I believe. Due to this age they represent a remarkable antiquity value and we hesitate to give them up. In fact, it would almost break our hearts.
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/21/09 13:07

Maybe you could include a new pack on the downloads page or sell for a low price?

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/21/09 13:13

I bought the updated wad textures and they are just ugly.
Yes - they have a better resolution, but they contain visible repetitive spots. Seems they where just thrown together from the artists source folder without cleaning up for ingame use.
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/21/09 13:58

Originally Posted By: jcl
The prefabs and standard.wad are from 1998 I believe. Due to this age they represent a remarkable antiquity value and we hesitate to give them up. In fact, it would almost break our hearts.
i guess this explains:
-the interface
-the default models
-the default textures
-the default sounds

lol... -wmiles and whistles-
Posted By: Scorpion

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/22/09 13:46

so...maybe... we could add some new stuff next to these...priceless treasures
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/22/09 18:34

Perhaps just leave the good old past for what it was. We will all honour it in silence, as we did with c-script.
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/22/09 19:03

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
i guess this explains:
-the interface
-the default models
-the default textures
-the default sounds

lol... -wmiles and whistles-

grin
I'd really vote for an updated standard.wad, along with some updated models.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/22/09 22:26

imo wad system could be completely dropped with the new wed. Just use some folder, and provide general use good qualityy textures with the gamestudio.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/23/09 00:31

One could also just leave one project in the installation, office.wmb and terrain.wmb, with all models, relevant prefabs, sounds and textures grin. All of the prefabs take a rather lot of space though...
Posted By: Nidhogg

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/23/09 12:14

Maybe George could have a contest for next months AUM for prefabs and then textures the following month.
The old wads, textures etc could then be added to the download page as optional downloads.
That way the designer's can consintrate on what they do best. "improving A7"
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/27/09 01:30

but you had no problem removing the office level frown I want it back, I'm still crying for it every night!
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/28/09 05:04

Personally I don't care what happens to office. tongue

Yep, I do believe an upgrade of the standard graphics packages and such are in order. A redesign of the cbabe, pguard, hero, etc. would also be good, and might help bring 3DGS up to the latest speed with some of the other development packages a little. You know, when you buy a development suite+engine like this you'd like to have a little bit of quality sample material to toy with. At least I would.

I would like to note that if you go to the 3D Gamestudio Downloads page you can find a link to a new Standard.wad that you can download for $20. It supposedly includes normal maps for all of the textures as well. Apparently nobody here seems to know this, though...
Posted By: SchokoKeks

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/28/09 16:42

I was being sarcastic, I also don't really care about the office level, and I'd like to see the standard.wad replaced! Just wanted to show that jcls post was a lame excuse... (sorry jcl)

redeemer, you should have read the previous posts, slacer had said the following about the new standard.wad you can get for $20:

Quote:
I bought the updated wad textures and they are just ugly.
Yes - they have a better resolution, but they contain visible repetitive spots. Seems they where just thrown together from the artists source folder without cleaning up for ingame use.

Re: Replace ancient prefabs - 12/28/09 18:22

Maybe it just depends on your needs...
If you want to replace the WAD to benefit from a higher resolution, it turns your clean wall in a dirty wall.
Which is not like it was advertised:

Quote:
Replacement for the Gamestudio standard.wad file. All surface textures were carefully remade in true color and double resolution, including normal maps. Replace the standard.wad file with this wad and greatly improve the look of your levels!

Yes, it has a high resolution, but you will notice the changes.

All textures from the second image have a very dark spot which is something to avoid for a tile if it is intended to be used on a great area like a long floor, long wall or something like a stonebridge.

Normalmaps are fine, double resolution is great - but these little things are annoying if found in a commercial product.
© 2024 lite-C Forums