Particle Options

Posted By: Grafton

Particle Options - 10/17/10 19:00

I think it would be great to be able to roll particles and to
stretch them along their velocity vector over time.

By randomizing a particles roll, more randomness could be had using the same particle map.

Many effcts such as sparks and smoke could be enhanced by being able to stretch a particle along its velocity vector over time.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 19:20

"being able to stretch a particle along its velocity vector over time."

You can already move a particle manually by altering its xyz-position in the particle's event and using BEAM/ STREAK with vel_x/y/z, but without MOVE set. (If I understood you correctly.)

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 20:31

No, I mean stretch the particle map while its moving in the direction of its movement. Like how tendrils of smoke stretch upward as they rise. Imagine the smoke map rising upwards and slowly stretching vertically (dir of vel) over time as it fades out.

STREAK is close, but is not adjustable over time, it just sort of blurs the image a little and you cannot control the amount of stretch either.

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 20:34

Yes, you can, I've just told you how to do so.
Move the particle manually without MOVE set and control the stretch/blur amount by changing vel_z (f.i.) over time.
Posted By: 3run

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 20:45

And what about particles ROLL? I think thats really great idea! And will BEAM and STREAK flag available in free version of A8 GS? Like it were in free LITE-C.

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 21:24

Originally Posted By: Superku
Yes, you can, I've just told you how to do so.

Sorry, I didnt mean to offend anyone, just trying to make a feature request.
Thanks and bye.

Re: Particle Options - 10/17/10 22:16

"Thanks and bye."

Ehm... What is your problem? I've tried to help you and gave some hints how you can achieve this effect in 2-3 minutes.
There won't be a feature if it's easily possible.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 08:01

I like such feature requests that I can grant without having to do any programming. wink

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 11:09

jcl will BEAM and STREAK features be available in free version of A8?
Cause they are very useful, and I'm sure allot of users of free version will need them.
For example I can't make good looking sparks and rain effect without them...
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 11:13

I would also like the possibility to change the roll of particles - it would be useful for some effects.

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 11:16

Yeah, that could be very useful! Even for making simple smoke effect!
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 11:19

Originally Posted By: 3run
jcl will BEAM and STREAK features be available in free version of A8?
Cause they are very useful, and I'm sure allot of users of free version will need them.
For example I can't make good looking sparks and rain effect without them...

That's a reason why you should buy Com/Pro wink
If all "good" features would be in the free, nobody would buy Com/Pro wink

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 11:59

Yes, you are right. But I'm not asking for all features, BEAM and STREAK were available in free LITE-C version.
Posted By: 3dgs_snake

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 12:15

I think STREAK only but not BEAM (It is for Com and above).

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 12:26

Features normally only move between editions when a new engine comes out. That would be A9, so you could wait a couple years for BEAM and STREAK. As to rolling, that's like many things in life - some here know how to do that, others don't. Some things are just not for anyone. wink

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 12:27

But to make simple spark effect for example, I need BEAM am I right? And to make simple rain effect, where rain particles do not turn to camera, I also need BEAM, am I right? So do I need to buy COM version of GS to make simple rain?
Posted By: the_clown

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 12:32

You dont even need particles to create rain or sparks.

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 12:46

Yes, I can create them with sprites, but with particles it will be faster, or am I wrong?

Re: Particle Options - 10/18/10 16:15

Originally Posted By: jcl
As to rolling, that's like many things in life - some here know how to do that, others don't. Some things are just not for anyone. wink

You could probably use sprite emulation and roll them, but at a big performance cost, hence the particle roll request.

Posted By: Tobias

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 04:21

I guess if particles could roll, they were sprites.

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 09:18

And if pigs could fly, they were doves. - 3D hardware does not support roll angles for points. The only supported parameter is the size. For anything else there's apparently no demand.
Posted By: badapple

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 10:03

well never the less , someone has done this. i have it on my hard drive. couldnt find the auther of it in the folder, but it rotates sprite particles. its an a7 project. maybe the auther of it will come forward.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 11:08

Seems you still didnt get it, do you? wink
Posted By: Petra

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 11:13

Badapple, Gamestudio has rotated sprite particles since years. This discussion was about point particles.
Posted By: badapple

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 12:29

petra , my post was intended to be helpfull. if you dont like it
thats just to bad for you.

Re: Particle Options - 10/19/10 12:34

Originally Posted By: Superku
"Thanks and bye."

Ehm... What is your problem? I've tried to help you and gave some hints how you can achieve this effect in 2-3 minutes.
There won't be a feature if it's easily possible.

@Felix,
I sincerely apologize, my miscommunication. I am always very greatful for your expert help, I meant no disrespect to you.

Re: Particle Options - 11/02/10 21:38

After much experimentation, you can indeed stretch particles by moving their velocity vector away from their position vector with the STREAK flag set and the MOVE flag not set.

However, the stretched particles end (moved by vel_xyz) cannot move off the edge of the cameras view until/unless the position end of the particle catches up. It looks as if the particles leading edge hits the edge of the veiw and stops. Once there, you can stretch compress the stretched particle just by panning the camera!

So sadly, GS still cannot stretch particles to emulate effects like Unity3D's particle renderers "Velocity Scale". frown

© 2024 lite-C Forums