button behaviour update

Posted By: Hummel

button behaviour update - 01/12/11 21:22

Hi,
I think it´s eventually time to rework the old button behaviour to make it more Windows-like.

Actually this is something I dont want to spend time in as a developer who is using GS to avoid such kind of work.
On the other hand I´m sure can implement that away easier and more efficient directly into the engine. wink

Grüße
Posted By: HeelX

Re: button behaviour update - 01/12/11 21:23

Signed.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: button behaviour update - 01/12/11 21:26

Some guys in black dresses with big guns told me to be "+1" on this request D:
Edit: Oh and they also told me that I will go straight to hell (thats the place where Frau von der Layen reads "Märchen" the whole day and shakira makes "music") when the feature doesn't get implemented. So please don't let me suffer this and do Hummel a favor!
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: button behaviour update - 01/12/11 23:29

Signed. I wonder if it'd be useful for a forum to have a "ditto" button on each post -- HeelX would be the first to say "signed" and then it would say "2 users ditto this post".

I feel like I'm spamming when I just say "signed", but I really want to help make it apparent that a bunch of people would like this feature.

Jibb
Posted By: MrGuest

Re: button behaviour update - 01/13/11 00:22

Or if you want to just follow the facebook route... 4 people Like this
Posted By: Lukas

Re: button behaviour update - 01/13/11 13:43

I agree. I've always hated the GS buttons, which is why I always programmed my buttons myself and created LBGUI last year. But they all use their own panel, which is surely inefficient compared to normal GS buttons.

Now that we're at it, you could also add the possibility to add texts to buttons that can change their color or position when the mouse is above or clicking the button. That would be very useful if you have many buttons with the same background bitmap but different texts, so you don't have to create own bitmaps for each button.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: button behaviour update - 01/13/11 15:08

Originally Posted By: Lukas
Now that we're at it, you could also add the possibility to add texts to buttons that can change their color or position when the mouse is above or clicking the button. That would be very useful if you have many buttons with the same background bitmap but different texts, so you don't have to create own bitmaps for each button.
A big thumb-up for that! Almost every button in my game has some text associated with it (that I place with a digits element). It makes sense for buttons to have their own text property with colour and offset values.

I'd say the button definition itself shouldn't change (for backwards-compatibility's sake), but add functions that activate this extra functionality (like text, font, colour depending on button state [hover, active, inactive]), and we can call these functions in a startup-function.

Jibb
Posted By: Joey

Re: button behaviour update - 01/13/11 18:18

I might be mistaken here but as far as I know the panel syntax uses the c-script compiler and thus won't be changed anymore.
Posted By: Lukas

Re: button behaviour update - 01/13/11 18:42

Well, if the additional information (text, etc.) would be added later by a function like Julz suggested, there won't be any problem. wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums