Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin

Posted By: Talemon

Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 11:21

Hello,
I don't think this one would be implemented any time soon but here it goes: ASLR is a decent way to defeat some of the vulnerabilities in an application( wiki )It is available on Windows Vista and later versions. It protects app's memory space so malicious players can't meddle with it to alter scores etc. It would be nice if we had this feature.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 11:36

I think this is a too special feature - at least I have not heard yet of an attack on the game engine. For protecting scores you could use simple methods such as mirror variables or a checksum.

Re: Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 11:57

Thank you for your quick response, jcl.
I also thought this were an extreme case, it came up during an argument so I decided to make a note here. Maybe one day you will get bored and look for an exotic feature to implement, this will be waiting for you (:
Our game is a free2play FPS game so we'll both see in a few months what type of attacks people will use to gain an advantage.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 14:35

ASLR is no way to prevent such cheats. First, ASLR can be disabled system-wide from registry, or on process-basis by launching the executable in XP compatibility mode.

Second point is that the cheating tools(check cheat engine forums) and malware targeting specific executables have successfully worked around ASLR.

Since you are working on an online game, you should rely on values stored on the server and not trust the client.

Re: Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 14:57

Originally Posted By: Quad
ASLR is no way to prevent such cheats. First, ASLR can be disabled system-wide from registry, or on process-basis by launching the executable in XP compatibility mode.

Second point is that the cheating tools(check cheat engine forums) and malware targeting specific executables have successfully worked around ASLR.

Since you are working on an online game, you should rely on values stored on the server and not trust the client.

Thanks for the input, I didn't know that. I'm not suggesting that we rely on client side variables, it was just an example. What I'm worried about are things like wallhacks and malware that target gulliable players, which require code injection and/or hooking to specific functions. As I said, we'll see what hackers come up with soon.
Posted By: Ch40zzC0d3r

Re: Request: Enable Address Space Layout Randomization for the engin - 06/10/14 16:53

lol you can call every game function / engine function with an injected dll.
You shouldnt worry about wallhacks but about teleport, speedhack, weapon/equipment hacks, rank/level hacks and so on.
© 2024 lite-C Forums