Gamestudio stopped for this long?

Posted By: Pacific

Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 12/01/18 07:25

Still waiting Gamestudio to resume and it's been long...
Posted By: Logitek

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/02/19 11:13

This demonstrates why there will be no further version of gamestudio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoY062kY1s

Because they are light years and million dollars away from the present time.
Posted By: sivan

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/02/19 15:23

yeah, good point, really no reason to stick to 3dgs. you get a bunch of free tools from other engines, free assets, optimized up-to-date rendering solutions, regular updates and support, and the possibility to team up with good artists or programmers to publish your game on multiple platforms easily. have I missed something? laugh
Posted By: jumpman

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/06/19 14:24

Hey pacific, there are plenty of revenants still using gamestudio, but official support has slowed to a crawl, almost to a stop. I love this engine and impressed by the users here still using it, but its better not to wait on development. We are still limited to Dx9, and some of the compiler is still written in chinese, without any translation planned in the future, and their attentions have shifted toward Zorro.

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/07/19 19:04

If it would be open source, then there would be a chance. But I think it's too late. It is a pity, because c-script and lite-c is really easy to learn. As far as I understand it can't be open source because some parts of the engine are from third parties. A license problem.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/07/19 19:54

Source code access for a reasonable price would be or would have been good, it's not like they are losing money on missed out A9 sales.
Posted By: Emre

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/11/19 09:39

The Gamestudio has two advantages: easy to learn, easy to use. it could compete with other engines, if some improvements could be made. We can also develop non-game applications with the Gamestudio. For example. (Desktop application) Gamestudio has this capacity.

Nevertheless, two mistakes were made in the past.The first is to implement ODE. The second is GED i guess. A pity for Gamestudio.

Anyway, JCL knows the best strategy for the company. Perhaps zorro is life-saving for them.

i'm still using Gamestudio for my own purposes. It's still fun for me. i don't expect any updates or progress, and i don't think the open source has any significance since there is a problem with the compiler.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/11/19 10:26

I was just thinking that a 64 bit version would be great, for making games with it and to circumvent the compiler issue. However, that would probably be quite the effort in itself and possibly break already existing codes/ projects.

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/13/19 21:56

That make sense. I never thought about that. As you said, it would be difficult to do this. But if it would be open source, yes maybe it was worth a try. a talented person like you could do that.
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/14/19 11:02

in my opinion it's too late for the source code anyway. the engine is horribly outdated and some bad decisions got made.

the advantage always has been the simple scripting api and if someone really wanted, the api could be recreated for some other engine with a free scripting language. even wait() would be possible with languages that support coroutines.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/14/19 20:16

While the scripting may be easy to learn, controlling the engine is very difficult.
Hunting down bugs in a nearly completed game is 1001 nightmares as there is very little debug help...
Only strict coding discipline can help here, but to get to that point it takes years of working with the engine in order to understand how to avoid the neckbreakers.

E.g. at AckCon we are doing Acknex projects since several years, and still have problems piling up close to release stage. There are so many pitfalls, and so many of them only get visible after a long time of experience with the engine.

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/15/19 00:48

Yes, you are right. We encounter difficulties and even bugs that no one has ever noticed, while working on large projects. I remember when I was looking for the reason of this memory problem, i was going crazy.

Edit: Wow! zorro got the homepage. Goodbye Gamestudio.

Posted By: txesmi

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/15/19 18:15

You could always make mincemeat out of a corpse.

Re: Gamestudio stopped for this long? - 01/16/19 09:04

Yeah, nobody wants to say it, but the development is definitely dead. In comparison with other engines, 10 years are lost. If the developer has not the resources to keep a project alive then he should think about other ways to let the engine not die. The weakest parts are dx9, the world editor and one of the most important things: the missing of model instancing. But it all depends on the kind of project you are working on.
© 2024 lite-C Forums