Z12 -diag trades resuming crash

Posted By: DdlV

Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/19/19 22:39

Hi jcl. Don't know if this is the correct place to ask/report this, but since it only happened with Z12 with trades resuming, here goes:

- Running 1.96.4 S (don't ask - life has been way too crazy to even consider 2.whatever yet...).
- VPS wanted to do Windows updates, so I said sure - stopped Zorro and did them. After VPS rebooted, Z12 crashed at startup right after posting the trades resumed and lookback messages.
- log file contained nothing useful, and no diag.txt.
- Z3 (with no trades to resume) did NOT crash.
- After hours of trying different things, including laboriously manually uninstalling all the Windows updates that had been done, Z12 still crashed every time in exactly the same way.
- Finally, in desperation, I tried removing "-diag" from the shortcut and bingo - Z12 started right up.

I realize that using "-diag" as a matter of course is not recommended, but

a) As discussed long ago I consider the slight increase in log file size to be a small price to pay for having the info around when/if needed
b) "-diag" shouldn't cause Zorro to crash!!! laugh

Appreciate your thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/20/19 02:27

Hi jcl. Well, Z3 just took longer to crash. "-diag" seems to be the culprit no matter what the strategy / trades resumed...
Posted By: jcl

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/20/19 07:26

-diag causes no increase in log size, but produces large diag files that are written into any millisecond. It can slow down the script to a crawl. Don't use it without good reason and certainly not with a system that trades real money.

When it causes a "crash", whatever that means, something might be wrong with the file system and access rights on the VPS. You should stop that system. Can you describe what exactly the problem is?

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/20/19 12:47

Thanks jcl. Sorry about "crash" - I do know better... frown How's this:

Code:
Faulting application name: Zorro.exe, version: 1.9.6.4, time stamp: 0x5bec3864
Faulting module name: Zorro.exe, version: 1.9.6.4, time stamp: 0x5bec3864
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0018acfe

The above was copied from Event Viewer. Windows popped up the crash window containing this just after the startup lookback message posted in Zorro's window.

FWIW, my experience with using -diag with the Z Systems hasn't shown either huge files nor serious slowdown... But I'll not ignore your recommendation. laugh Especially with strategies that handle more Assets and/or trade more frequently...

Thanks.

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/20/19 13:43

That's really a crash, an access violation. The next step is to upload the corresponding diag file here or to send it to Zorro support. If possible, both files, for Z12 and Z3. That's the large files I was referring to. They should show the situation immediately before the crash.

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/21/19 03:51

I'd love to, but they don't exist. log files are created, but not diag files.

Re: Z12 -diag trades resuming crash - 05/21/19 06:42

If diag files are not generated anymore and file access crashes since the last VPS update, either revert to the last restore point before the update, or try systematically to find the problem.

I can't tell from here what it is, but I would run a thorough system diagnostic with disk check. Check also access rights. Look for locked files. Maybe reinstall Zorro in case the installation was damaged. If you want, you can subscribe a support ticket and let Support assist you and walk you through the steps. They also have a VPS installation service.

Don't continue trading on that VPS until the problem is found.
© 2024 lite-C Forums