Scaling Regions in WED

Posted By: Sajeth

Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 13:34

When scaling regions in WED, they sometimes increase/decrease their width, height or length no matter in what direction you move the mouse cursor and even when youre using the "one dimension only" arrows.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 13:48

You normally scale them with the box tool, but the scale tool works also - I've just tried it. Can you give a description how to get that problem, starting with an empty level?

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 13:58

Start WED, right click -> add region.
Use the "Scale" Tool (between "Rotate" and "Edit Box") and experience a very strange behaviour in almost any direction.

EDIT: Using the box tool, I cant even select the regions.
EDIT2: It also seems the regions are not even recognized by region_find, no matter how I compile the level?!
EDIT3: Even if I use region_create and it returns >0, neither region_find nor region_check can find any region...

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 15:03

Thanks, but your problems are not reproducible. You can find many script examples for using regions in the manual.

Let's concentrate first on your scale problem: Do you have this only with regions, or also with other objects? Are you using a tablet, or a normal mouse? Does it help when you delete the wed.cfg file, and/or reinstall the current A8 version?

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 20:19

I will try reinstalling A8, for this seems to be some serious issue...
Posted By: Petra

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 20:23

If it helps: I'm starting to use regions extensively for trigger and clipping in 2 projects and so far, they work fine. No problem here.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 20:33

Reinstalled, still regions are totally messed up.
And no, im not stupid - yes, I know how to debug.
Yes, this problem is only with regions. No, I am not using a tablet. Yes, I tried it with a new script. Yes, I know how to code. And yes, I also tried the examples from the manual.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/21/10 21:14

Did a video with a fresh, clean installation of A8, downloaded directly from the official server. The keyfile is accepted by WED and I didnt change anything after installation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V2zsSrulFk
Posted By: Quad

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 00:11

while on the edit box mode, right click on a viewport, click bounding box properties, check "All Objects", click OK.

Looks like regions needs to be added to the edit box options wink

(also, that scale bug does not happening on me)

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 05:42

Many thanks to you - this works wink Although its a workaround and not a fix... and regions in general fail to work frown
EDIT: ...as long as theyre placed through WED. runtime-created regions work flawless, but every region placed in WED is nonexistant to the engine.
Posted By: Tobias

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 07:42

A stupid question: Which edition do you have? This does not change scaling in WED, but region clipping is a Pro feature.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 08:10

Thanks for the video, I now finally see what you mean. It seems to happen when you scale a region extremely large in one direction. It doesn't happen here, but might be dependent on some scale setting. We'll fix that.

But it seems that neither I nor other people can confirm your other region problems. Regions are supported in all editions, with exception of the region_set command, which is Pro only. But region_find and region_check work in all versions with both WED created and script created regions.

Please check again. If you can't find the problem yourself, please contact Support and send them your project where WED-inserted regions don't work. They'll look into that.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 08:37

Using A8 commercial, but not region_set.
What you cant see in the video is that this "side effect" gets faster and stronger with every additional time you scale (eg pick an arrow) - not dependent on how long each individual scaling process is. Don't know if this helps you find the error laugh

I will try again, although I already did what I could - started with a blank level and so on. Anything I could possibly do wrong, for example when compiling the map?

Thanks for your time laugh

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/22/10 08:56

Nope... have a look at my simple project, it just wont work:
www.sajeth.com/temp.cd.rar

Use C to check the current region, R to create a temporary region. All source files included.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/23/10 13:02

Can no one confirm/deny this?

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/23/10 13:08

Thanks for the project - we have not yet looked into it, but will check it out in the next days.
Posted By: Superku

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/23/10 16:00

I think Sajeth builds his level using "Build BSP Map", this does not work for me, too. I have to select "Update Entities", otherwise my regions won't get into the wmb file.

Re: Scaling Regions in WED - 07/23/10 16:02

Danke - das hat funktioniert!
© 2024 lite-C Forums