Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! :o)

Posted By: Dyc

Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! :o) - 09/30/07 12:40

I have recently purchased the Valve “Orange Box” in order to take part in the TF2 Beta.
First of all I must say that I am still blown away. It has been a while since I have played a game and enjoyed it so much.
For any one who doesn’t know what team fortress is:
Team based fast paced multiplayer action.
Nine unique character classes: Scout, Soldier, Pyro, Demo-man, Medic, Engineer, Spy, Heavy, Sniper.
All of the classes posses abilities exclusive to only them. For example the Engie can build turrets, dispensers, teleporters. The Spy can disguise himself as a member of the opposing teem or disappear under a cloak.
The game took ages to get finished however, it shows that every class is almost perfectly balanced and forces players to play in a team in order to reach objectives. I think it’s a breath of fresh air in today’s world of “let’s make a cookie cutter shooter thingie game and hype it as much as possible”
Anyways, If any one fancies a quick game: http://steamcommunity.com/id/grom_uk
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 04:15

I too just bought it.. And fully agree that it is one of the greatest games.
I love it. Team fortress Classic was good.. but this just blows everyt hing away. the art style, the game play +team based game play, the humor.. Its a perfect game.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/VPrime
Posted By: Chasarsis

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 05:46

It is fricking awesome! Been playing it for the past two weeks and all the classes are masterfully balanced against each other.
Its good just jumping into a server and playing against strangers, but its greatness is pushed over the top when you're playing with friends with headsets.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 20:46

I haven't played but I don't like the art style. I'm pretty sure they chose this cartoon style to cover up that Source Engine is about 4 years out of date--it looks like a playstation 2 game.

I know they justify it some other way.. but I dont believe that..
Posted By: TripleX

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 20:49

maybe graphics isn't everything? better have a fantastic gameplay with old "bad" graphics, than fantastic graphics with a bad and boring gameplay
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 22:08

Quote:

It is fricking awesome! Been playing it for the past two weeks and all the classes are masterfully balanced against each other.

Lol, I sooo disagree with you there. It's not balanced perfectly. The Spy is WAY too powerful and the Sniper often doesn't kill with one shot (yes, in the head that is..). Either that last thing is a bug, or the sniper is simply underpowered. (btw, there was blood, so I didn't miss.)

I also think that it takes too much time for the Heavy Gunner to kill someone when you aim at an enemy constantly, but perhaps my aiming skills are simply lacking (or it sprays so wide that you miss nearly half of the time even íf your aim is good?).

The shotgun could use some more power too, it doesn't feel like a powerful weapon, but I do like it's ineffectiveness at longer range.

Anyways, I really like the speedy gameplay though and although confusing at first, I also like the capture the zones approach. I do not quite like the graphical style, but I'm sure I will be playing this game for a while nonetheless. Somehow, these graphics are a huge disappointment for me, since I would loved to have seen them make a Team Fortress 2 with those more life-like characters and stuff (which they sadly threw in the recycling bin like a year ago or something...)

Cheers
Posted By: VPrime

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 22:55

The art style is awesome, and really adds humor tot he game.. Though I guess its not for every one.

As for the games balance, Valve will continue updating the game and change a few things. There have already been a few changes with the pyro.. Only more to come.

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/01/07 23:55

Yeah , exactly, it's not that the art is ugly or unpolished or anything. I do love the humor in this game too. Yeah, the pyro had some issues too, but I didn't like to play that class that much anyways. Spy and Sniper on the other hand ....
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/02/07 12:44

Quote:

Lol, I sooo disagree with you there.

There is no reason to laugh about Chasarsis. This topic is about a game, fun and subjective impressions.
He just talked about his meaning and you (Phemox) can post your idea how you like this game. But there is no need to beat someone down, laugh about him or make it personal.
Posted By: TWO

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/02/07 13:01

@PHeMoX

Did you wait till the power bar was full while scoping? Then one shot should kill, wherever he's hit.

I just love this game, I played the whole night with my friend. The style is very nice and the gameplay (remembers me of enemy territory) is great, too.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/02/07 13:12

so fortress2 has finally arrived. i remember times when it looked like this,

anno 1999. it's come a long way, and as i'm generally not interested in games like this, i can't comment on gameplay, but i cannot see why the graphics should be a downfall. of course, source engine is already in the years (phew, i played Dark Messiah recently and had to admit that, too). but this comic style for shooters is somewhat refreshing imo. and the promo videos are really fun to watch
Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/06/07 14:07

I just brought the orange box yesterday so I could play on the beta. It is very fun. Makes a change from my constant playing of CSS.
Posted By: Stansmedia

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/06/07 14:47

Quote:

Quote:

Lol, I sooo disagree with you there. It's not balanced perfectly. The Spy is WAY too powerful and the Sniper often doesn't kill with one shot (yes, in the head that is..). Either that last thing is a bug, or the sniper is simply underpowered. (btw, there was blood, so I didn't miss.)

I also think that it takes too much time for the Heavy Gunner to kill someone when you aim at an enemy constantly, but perhaps my aiming skills are simply lacking (or it sprays so wide that you miss nearly half of the time even íf your aim is good?).

The shotgun could use some more power too, it doesn't feel like a powerful weapon, but I do like it's ineffectiveness at longer range.

Anyways, I really like the speedy gameplay though and although confusing at first, I also like the capture the zones approach. I do not quite like the graphical style, but I'm sure I will be playing this game for a while nonetheless. Somehow, these graphics are a huge disappointment for me, since I would loved to have seen them make a Team Fortress 2 with those more life-like characters and stuff (which they sadly threw in the recycling bin like a year ago or something...)

Cheers

The difficulty your experiencing is derived from the solar noob-plex, located directly below the cerebelum. It effects every 2/3 people, and can be cured with a medication plan of getting your ass kicked. line up.
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/06/07 21:24

Quote:

maybe graphics isn't everything? better have a fantastic gameplay with old "bad" graphics, than fantastic graphics with a bad and boring gameplay

You'll notice I wasn't commenting on gameplay quality, nor did I say people wouldn't play it because of the graphics....

The developers claimed they used the style because of the inherent unrealistic aspects of the game, which I dont doubt, but really I suspect it is more of a decision to try to cover up the fact that Source is a low-tech engine not capable of competing with modern engines in a graphical way.
Posted By: Aaron_H

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/06/07 22:46

Quote:

Quote:

You'll notice I wasn't commenting on gameplay quality, nor did I say people wouldn't play it because of the graphics....

The developers claimed they used the style because of the inherent unrealistic aspects of the game, which I dont doubt, but really I suspect it is more of a decision to try to cover up the fact that Source is a low-tech engine not capable of competing with modern engines in a graphical way.

Maybe you're right Matt. But the new multi-core support coming to the source engine does sound like a very nice feature. Especially with the prices dropping on the intel quad core processors.

Re: Team Fortress 2, the greatest game of all!!! : - 10/08/07 07:10

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Cheers

The difficulty your experiencing is derived from the solar noob-plex, located directly below the cerebelum. It effects every 2/3 people, and can be cured with a medication plan of getting your ass kicked. line up.

Right... but I never said I couldn't kill anyone in the game, I just said certain things are overpowered/underpowered/unfair.

Part of what you're saying is true though, in all games there's a 'getting used to-phase', so perhaps it feels bad because it's different...

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums