Looking for affordable audio/video editing

Posted By: D3D

Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/09/07 20:44

Hello,

Need some advise for purchase audio/video editing software. It must be able to convert from DVD-CAM and or standard AVI to compressed formats like DivX, MOV, FLV, MP4, MPEG, MP3 for sound. I have only 500/800 euro's to spend.

What would be a good choice?
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/09/07 21:46

You can get Adobe Premiere(THE ultimative tool for video/audio enditing) for very cheap prices at ebay at the moment (http://search.ebay.com/Adobe-Premiere_W0QQ_trksidZm37QQfromZR40)

Wish I had the money, tried it out at a good friends studio once(he is a video cutter for commercial films for local television broadcasters) and I was just amazed by the easy workflow and how easily you could export a video into just any format.
Posted By: Samb

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/09/07 22:04

adobe premiere is total crap.
slow rendering and horrible chache files, wich won't be removed.
so after one projekt, your hard disk is complete full of cachecrap.

ulead video studio is ok for simple video editing.
media studio must be good (I only know the old version)
and I will test now magix video deluxe 2007/2008.
magix sound editing programs wanst bad so I hope video studio will be the same.

but adobe premiere = crap.
and yes, I got the full version.
Posted By: Toast

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/09/07 22:13

Well if you just want to use it for some homevideos Magix Video Deluxe is a good software. Though it has two disadvantages: You might get some rare crashes although this got better with every version and I don't own the latest. But the other thing is that you have to register at Magix in order to get patches. This angers me as with the pc I'm using right now I can't make the damn program export MPGEGs and some AVI Codecs. This worked fine on my older PC and it might get fixed with a patch but I refuse to register there yet as you have to give them all your personal data and not just an E-Mail adress...

If you want to do this on a more professional level there's not much besides Adobe's Premiere although I also don't like it very much. I've also seen it in action and to my mind it was rather complicated and not very intuitive. But maybe that's just like with Blender - at first sight the Interface is pure horror but if you know how it works it turns out to be fine...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Nems

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/09/07 22:42

I have never had a prob with Premier, so get rid of the cache, ensure you still have the actual projects that generated the cache in the first place in the right directory and then simply delete them.
Without the project files the cache remains.

Best suggestion is to search google or have you tried the Starving developers guide?
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 01:37

I know that's not what you are looking for, but let me plug Adobe After Effects. That program is just SOOOO amazing. Premiere is quite nice as well. How does Premiere Elements compare to Premiere Pro? Maybe that might be something in your price range.

http://video-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 04:35

Quote:

and I will test now magix video deluxe 2007/2008.
magix sound editing programs wanst bad so I hope video studio will be the same.

It's not bad for the price you pay, but apart from that it's pretty bad (read: limited).

Cheers
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 07:47

The link from Marco is very interesting. Power Director has a good amount of features compared to the competition (and is very affordable):
Posted By: ello

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 08:55

too bad that exactly the PowerDirector doesnt support greenScreen.. or did i miss something?
Posted By: Iron Chancellor

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 11:16

I use Premiere too and I quite like it. However it is not really intuitive all the time, but there are nearly no limitations. You should try out the trial version, and if you are at school or a student, you can get the whole video editing suite (along with Photoshop, After Effects, Flash and others) for a ptetty low price (around 350€, depends on the country and where you buy it). This is only for non-commercial projects, but for commercial projects you can get the education version for 700-1000€).
Posted By: broozar

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 12:52

adobe premiere, even if it's not perfect, it's close, once you got an idea how it works.
i got a stripped-down version of power director as well, to be honest, it didn't convince me, neither rendering nor editing was faster compared to adobe, instead, the flashy interface distracts you from work.

if you decide to install linux, you could use the totally free cinelerra http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinelerra , one of the best editing and compositing programs out there.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:09

I don't get it. Adobe Premiere CS 3:
1,000 Euro

http://www.amazon.de/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS3-deutsch/dp/B000OV12RK

all the tools here:
powerful and less than 100 Euro.

But everybody knows Premiere. Is this a common tool in Warez archieves? I don't know that.

I plan to buy a camcorder but I will not buy a software for 1000 Euro. So you will not convince me anyway and the author of this thread (D3D) also told to spend less than 800.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:12

No one is forcing you to buy the more expensive one... price isn't everything you know, some people can actually afford this,

Cheers
Posted By: ello

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:16

there is also a thread over at the c4d forum which deals with free compositiong programs.. maybe you check it out.. http://www.cgnetwork.de/forum/showthread.php?t=89193

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:24

the cheapest legal way to get adobe premiere elements is as i got it:

http://www.amazon.de/Sitecom-FW-001-Firewire-Desktop-Kit/dp/B0000A03LG

it's bundled with this card.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:27

Quote:

too bad that exactly the PowerDirector doesnt support greenScreen.. or did i miss something?

That's true. Then you might better go with ULEAD Video Studio or Pinnacle Studio. Even Adobe Premiere Elements does not support this feature.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 13:30

Quote:

No one is forcing you to buy the more expensive one... price isn't everything you know, some people can actually afford this,

Cheers

Phemox is writing again the most off-topic posts in the forums

D3D said that he wants to spend 500 / 800 for it. There is no need that you have to tell us that there are rich people in the world. We are talking about the video editing options for D3D.
Unless he gets an old licence of Premiere he has no chance to buy this software within his budget restriction.

Better read the posts carefully in the future before you spam all over the forums.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 18:27

Quote:

I don't get it. Adobe Premiere CS 3:
1,000 Euro
http://www.amazon.de/Adobe-Premiere-Pro-CS3-deutsch/dp/B000OV12RK
all the tools here:
powerful and less than 100 Euro.

It's the Photoshop effect- because Premiere is a brand name they can charge more. However, I am not that impressed by Premiere- while it's a good program it's not worth that much more money than the other programs listed. I don't know what they cut from the "light" version (AKA Premiere Elements) but it should be sufficient. Pinnacle Studio also was very good software when I last tried it (5 years ago). One problem is that video editing software seems to frequently disappear from the market, another reason to stay with a brand name.
I did not think of educational discounts. If you qualify then there is no question about what to get: After Effects CS3, Eur 375,- :
http://www.dyna-byte.de/dl_froogle.htm?category=185&sub=9&id=54022127ET&ref=3

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 19:06

after effects is NOT a good idea if you want to cut movies that last more than a few minutes. it's an excellent effects tool, but to do mainly cutting, better choose something different.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 19:11

For 375€ you can get the whole video editing suite from Adobe instead of just After FX..

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 19:12

where?

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 19:46

Here: https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/h...tore=OLS-EDU-DE

edit: it's only for non-commercial. However there is another, more expensive student edition (called Education version) which allows commercial developement.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 20:59

Quote:

after effects is NOT a good idea if you want to cut movies that last more than a few minutes. it's an excellent effects tool, but to do mainly cutting, better choose something different.

I am currently working on a 1 hour movie with AE after preprocessing it in Premiere. You can do everything with AE that you can do with Premiere and then some, however the workflow is far more complicated and audio playback in AE is questionable. It's a features vs. usability issue, but as far as usability is concerned Premiere does not fare that well compared to other applications either. Does that linked Production Premium Studen Edition allow commercial use or not ? If so then it's a steal since you also get Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash, and OnLocation in the bundle; I paid $1400 for that package

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 21:43

@Marco: No, the linked version is not for commercial use. But there is a second version, called "Education Edition", which can be used for commercial projects. However, it's well hidden on the Adobe pages. Here is a link to the google cache of the German FAQ page: http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cache:Kvx...lient=firefox-a

I think that these Education Editions can be bought in some special shops. At least I think I saw some ads in "Studentenzeitungen".

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/10/07 23:16

I think that's just wrong labelling. Student Edition and Education Edition are the same thing- they are sold in Adobe's "Education Store". The FAQ does not refer to the Student Edition at all..

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 00:48

Quote:

No, you said you were amazed about the price and I simply replied. If 1000€ is "way" too much, then so is 800€. It was all totally on-topic, but you make this off topic by wining about it. Seems it's your annoying game here Frank of doing that, but I bet you're going to rip that out of context too claiming it's a personal attack, right?

Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone know a video editing tool that can cut a movie at arbitrary places?? As in top left corner or whatever other places?

Cheers

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 01:18

Quote:

Don't mean to hijack, but does anyone know a video editing tool that can cut a movie at arbitrary places?? As in top left corner or whatever other places?

What do you mean "cut in arbitrary places" ? You want to only keep the top left of the clip and replace the rest with a different video clip? Or you want to zoom in on the top left and output that as fullscreen ?

Anything in the $90 or more range should be able to handle that.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 01:21

Yeah, I meant to only keep the top left for example. Perhaps a 'cut and paste in new movie' describes it better. I thought Magix could do this, but apparently, you can only resize, no cutting and pasting, or 'resizing of the movie canvas' so to speak.

Cheers
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 01:31

almost every video editing application should be able to do that. even virtualdub can do it with the cropping settings of the resize filter.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 01:44

Mmmm okey, I guess it's tough luck then, because I got the Magix video editor for free. I'll check out virtualdub, thanks,

Cheers

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 07:50

Quote:

Quote:

No, you said ... blah blah

I really enjoy all the lenghty excuses of Phemox for being off-topic.

On topic:
What is the best way to connect a camcorder to my PC? Firewire, USB2? Does every new camcorder support this?

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 11:51

For connecting camcorders to your PC you have to use Firewire as this is kinda a persisting standard. Though when you look into the camcorder's specs you will rarely see a "Firewire" but "disguise names" like "DV (In / Out)" oder "i.Link" which is what Sony tends to call it. But in the end it's all just Firewire...

Camcorders today also have USB-Ports but that's more or less just for interaction with the flash memory you can insert and save photos or small MPEG Videos on or even use it as a webcam...

Enjoy your meal
Toast

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 12:01

Quote:

:) I really enjoy all the lenghty excuses of Phemox for being off-topic.

At least be a man and quote me properly, perhaps that will make you see that you're wrong time and time again Frank.

Cheers

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 12:17

You are the man, Phemox!
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 12:27

@Phemox and Friendly_Frank,
please stop private argumentation and be on-topic, this will lead to verbal conflicts.

Thank you.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 12:32

Quote:

On topic:
What is the best way to connect a camcorder to my PC? Firewire, USB2? Does every new camcorder support this?

It depends on your hardware and the type of camcorder you have. If you have a miniDV camcorder, you should use Firewire, as USB will not give you the best quality. However, if you have a camcorder with a HDD, it doesn't matter.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 12:43

Thanks for the replies.

I hope that my PC has a fitting plug then. To be clear: I even do not have a camcorder but I want to buy one to be prepared when my daughter will be born in upcoming January.

So I still have to decide what is the best solution: HDD, DVD, MiniDV, tape or whatever. I find it maximal confusing to be honest

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 16:57

Quote:

So I still have to decide what is the best solution: HDD, DVD, MiniDV, tape or whatever. I find it maximal confusing to be honest

Well you can already exclude the DVD-Camcorders because they are just crap. Here you have an on-the-fly MPEG Encoding which results in typical block artefacts as you don't have the power of a workstation and enough time for motion scanning and so on to use the little bandwith you have to its limits. When you're even going to cut your videos and encode it yet again then it gets even worse so don't touch those...

So what stays is HDD and MiniDV (what is a tape). I'm not up to date with the recent HDD cameras but my recommendation would go to the MiniDVs. This method is cheaper and you are more flexible with this. Besides I don't know if some HDD Camcorders still do the pretty much the same as the DVD camcorders do (i.e. save the video as MPEG-II files) or if they use something else now. If you consider to buy a High-Definition camcorder the HDD versions might just be fine as they should record in WMV9 or something. But there still is the price tag because 40GB aren't that much and when it's full it gets rather complicated to tape even more as you have to save your 40GB of film somewhere to get your small hard drive free. That's the point where the tapes are very handy - just throw in another tape which will give you an hour or two of filming and put the first tape in your cupboard...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 17:06

Quote:

Quote:

That's true. Then you might better go with ULEAD Video Studio or Pinnacle Studio. Even Adobe Premiere Elements does not support this feature.

That site does not speak the truth then, as greenscreen in premiere IS possible.
http://www.digitalvideofuel.com/greenscreeninprem.htm

And guess what, also powerdirector does have greenscreen options:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/products/powerdirector/tutorial/ck_tutorial/step_1.jsp

Google for specifications and features you need for a program, do not believe all the specs of a program on one site. There may be plugins for programs that create features and extra functions as well while originally not provided with the program.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 17:29

Yes, Adobe Premiere does, but Adobe Premiere Elements doesn't. The "Elements" version is a stripped down one...

Cheers
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 17:52

Ah sorry my bad.
Powerdirector is also the stripped down version?

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 18:35

No need to apologize.. Powerdirector isn't a stripped down version hehehe. The difference between Adobe Premiere Elements and Adobe Premiere is huge though.. (no wonder since you get Elements for free with certain hardware)

Cheers

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 19:15

Thanks Jostie and Toast for the hints. So I might go with Powerdirector as well.

I already heard from others to choose MiniDV for price and flexibility. Maybe I choose this one, just have to find a good camera now. My current idea is: Panasonic NV-GS320.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/11/07 19:39

With camcorders keep in mind that all of them will give you moderately good results outdoors during the daytime. It's indoor or night time recording where they differ wildly.
A 3CCD camera like the GS320 you picked is a good idea. Here's an interesting article:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/d/Reviews&level_b=Camcorder&level_c=HD.htm
Posted By: ventilator

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/12/07 01:36

i am not much into video anymore but i know that i always hated tapes. tapes are so cumbersome. you always have to wait for winding back and forth and capturing only works in realtime.

i would go for a harddisk or flash memory. what i don't like about the current hd consumer cameras is that they still only work in interlaced mode. i don't get it. no new hd tv works like that. crts are gone.
Posted By: D3D

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/12/07 02:20

Thanks for all response. One mistake though it should have read €50.- to €80.- euros and not hundreds ^^ Anyways i'm trying Powerdirector and Ulead Videostudio. It's for making a wedding video from the footage. Adobe Premiere is nice, but I can't afford for just making a few video's.

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/12/07 16:10

A bit late, but @Marco: Yes I think you're right. It looks like there isn't a cheeper Adobe edition for students that allows commercial use :S
Posted By: Rich

Re: Looking for affordable audio/video editing - 10/16/07 15:18

For the video editing programs, you can pick up "MGI video wave 5" for pretty cheap on ebay. Its a really simplistic program, but its easy to use and gets the job done most of the time. Its definitely not a 'pro' application though. Later versions of the program just got clunkier and slower, while removing features.

Also there is a program I tried the demo of once, called edit studio from puremotion. I don't remember the price, but it wasn't too expensive and had a decent feature set.

Good luck.
© 2024 lite-C Forums