Do you Groove?

Posted By: Rhuarc

Do you Groove? - 01/06/08 23:47

Purely out of curiousity...

Anyone here use Microsoft Groove for team collaboration?

Since I started using Groove at work, I've grown to love it and have found it very flexible. As a former heavy user of sharepoint, I can say it pretty much covers all the bases of what we need it for.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/06/08 23:52

Never heard of it before.

I used Perforce before, and now Tourtoise SVN as Source-controll.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/07/08 00:04

Never heard of it.
Posted By: Rhuarc

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/07/08 04:51

Quote:

Never heard of it before.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/groove/default.aspx

It's not a source-control solution, but more of a team collaboration tool. So it works well for task lists, discussion, file sharing, and other custom lists.

The huge advantage is that it uses a client capable of offline functionality. So I could easily type a response to a discussion thread while offline and next time I connect to the internet, it automatically gets synchronized to all the other team members. Also, I can read their responses offline. So I can connect to download all the latest updates before heading out on a flight, then read and respond all while offline. (Same goes for everything, not just discussion)

I was initially heasitant to it in the scenario of software development; but since I started working at Groove, I quickly adapted to it.
Posted By: frazzle

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/07/08 20:13

Quote:

Never heard of it.

Idem but I've done a lookup and it seems quite handy for project management within the use of team collaboration indeed. Not that I'll be using it very soon but I'll keep it in the back of my head for when ever I need it

Cheers

Frazzle
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/07/08 21:50

Quote:

Just FYI: if you ever happen to run into problems due to locked files - kill Tortoise. We have had a couple of such issues with that client.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/07/08 22:16

Quote:

Quote:

Just FYI: if you ever happen to run into problems due to locked files - kill Tortoise. We have had a couple of such issues with that client.

we are using perforce (i always have to think about the word "pervert"), but i seem to kinda start hating the thing, especially when you have stuff in your changelist, and you got a new computer... lol

But hey, getting latest stuff is nice though
Posted By: Marco_Grubert

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/08/08 00:07

We were thinking about switching to Perforce but it did not have enough features. Don't know what the IT folks are considering next. It's slow ClearCase for now.
Posted By: FBL

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/08/08 00:19

What ever you do... don't use Merant PVCS... at least not the JAVA interface. It's horrible
At my former office they wanted to switch to ClearCase as well in the near future.

I'm still looking for a CVS plugin for Total Commander instead of something standalone like Tortoise CVS.... Well I should start proper usage of version management systems anyway...
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/08/08 01:15

never heard of it before either
Posted By: Helghast

Re: Do you Groove? - 01/08/08 08:12

Quote:

What ever you do... don't use Merant PVCS... at least not the JAVA interface. It's horrible
At my former office they wanted to switch to ClearCase as well in the near future.

I'm still looking for a CVS plugin for Total Commander instead of something standalone like Tortoise CVS.... Well I should start proper usage of version management systems anyway...

that would rock, i love total commander (called windows commander before, right?)

regards,
© 2024 lite-C Forums