Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly

Posted By: PHeMoX

Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 15:04

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=HTxdKi77G20&feature=rec-fresh

I don't know... can't help but think that it's really cool on one hand, but also incredibly pointless on the other hand. crazy

It does add a somewhat interesting extra dimension to music and sounds, but still...

Cheers
Posted By: Puppeteer

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 15:29

i think it is only cool for 5 minutes and it is not really portable.
So this thing wont get so popular...
Posted By: Joey

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 15:55

cooooool
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 16:53

too be honest even tho i think its pointless i could see how someone with a lot of extra money would buy it, and have it sit on a table like those little mini fountains, or a lava lamp.
Posted By: Inestical

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 17:01

It's cool, but pointless.

Would get one if I'd be rich, but as I'm just poor student, it's a no-go.
Posted By: ChrisB

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 17:23

Finally your stereo can commit suicide by falling off the desk if you play bad music.
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 23:28

The design actually is art, IMO. It could act as a robot character in a movie!

If it is choosing its behavior simply from data of the music, its frequencies, loudness, speaking voice, chorus, iterations etc. and from saving its own behavior to produce patterns of behavior - than it is very good.

I fear that it has extra data additional to the music, because in one video they showed synchronized rollies.

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/05/08 23:59

I could be mistaken, but from my understanding it is able to do both 'custom' scripted stuff and automatic procedural stuff generated by software that interprets the music data.

It does come with an editor to make your own 'custom' behavior which you probably can activate somehow (I believe there are a couple of buttons on top of the device).

I also think that even though they talked about custom scripts during the demonstration also, I believe the 'synchronized' rolly might have not been using a custom script. A lot of the music seemed to be distinct enough to cause different behavior as if it's procedurally generated by the music data (for example sweeps going from left channel to right channel would be quite easy to detect and make some behavior for).

Quote:
The design actually is art, IMO. It could act as a robot character in a movie!

Ohh yeah, I definitely agree. It reminded me a bit of the Flubber robot character in a way. Speaking of character, it has a bit of a personality when it's doing it's dancing, lol. Quite funny for just a piece of moving plastic. smile
Posted By: padrino

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/06/08 12:38

Pointless without question. And though it reminds me a little bit of R2/D2, I would not dare call it art, it's a disgrace to the real meaning of art. It looks neat, clean, simple, just like 99% of all devices that have been brought to the market in the past decade.
Now additional to all that, the sound quality has to be awful. So unless you get it for a really, really, really low price - why would anyone want to buy this crap? It looks just like a (cheap) child toy to me.
Posted By: oliver2s

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/06/08 12:40

I see the future: kiddies don't use their mobilephones anymore to play crappy music in busses and subways. Now they use THIS...:D

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/06/08 12:41

Well yeah, but basically it is a toy... I do wonder if the sound quality is any good, always difficult to judge from youtube movies and so on..

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/06/08 12:50

Originally Posted By: PHeMoX
Well yeah, but basically it is a toy... I do wonder if the sound quality is any good, always difficult to judge from youtube movies and so on..

it can't be. way to small for that...

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/06/08 13:16

Originally Posted By: padrino

have you ever seen bose speakers? :-D

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 13:43

Originally Posted By: Puppeteer

have you ever seen bose speakers? :-D

but there seems to be a woofer with them... there isn't one in that thing smile
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 14:16

If they'd replace the music player with a little processor, mini SD port and some sensors, cut the price in half and paint it black, I'd buy her.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 14:29

why paint it black?

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 14:38

blaaaaaaaaaackkkkkk <3
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 14:40

Looks better in the dark.
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 15:37

uhnm...
yeah... XD

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/07/08 20:43

but there seems to be a woofer with them... there isn't one in that thing smile

It does have some sort of an extra internal bass speaker actually, it's not a real subwoofer obviously, but it's a tad more than just a simple radio. smile
Posted By: tD_Datura_v

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/09/08 05:36

Ah yes, it seems another innovative sex toy for the independent female hits the market. Excellent.
I'll sort the mechanics / usage specs on it later.
Posted By: mpdeveloper_B

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/09/08 14:24

I think it's a bit cool, and it's Japanese, so, I couldn't help but give it a spot in the Japaneazee section laugh

See the entry

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/09/08 20:59

Hahaha, cool. I see you've managed to figure out the price, 399$ is a bit too expensive for me though for this.
Posted By: Samb

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/10/08 00:24

399$ is a bit too expensive for me though for this.

reminds me of something... oh yeaaahhhh...

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=IH2w2l1JTs4&feature=related

IT'S A SONY! laugh
Posted By: Edgecrusher

Re: Cool or pointless? The Sony Rolly - 07/10/08 10:02

looks cool, reminds me a lot of portal somehow
© 2024 lite-C Forums