Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED!

Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 13:37

Death to this rotten stereotype!

"There just aren't gender differences anymore in math performance," says University of Wisconsin-Madison psychology professor Janet Hyde, the study's leader. "So parents and teachers need to revise their thoughts about this."

The UW-Madison and University of California, Berkeley, researchers report their findings in the July 25 issue of Science.

Though girls take just as many advanced high school math courses today as boys, and women earn 48 percent of all mathematics bachelor's degrees, the stereotype persists that girls struggle with math, says Hyde. Not only do many parents and teachers believe this, but scholars also use it to explain the dearth of female mathematicians, engineers and physicists at the highest levels.

Check out the full article here.
http://www.labspaces.net/7971/No_gender_differences_in_math_performance
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 14:41

No, I agree, there should be no such stereotype. There are some very smart females out there, without a doubt.

But I still think they should not be in combat, and I dont like them as government leaders. They just dont have the killer instinct that is needed for those positions.
Posted By: Joey

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 14:49

times change and maybe we don't need no killer instincts anymore but rather motherly tactfulness.
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 15:15

Watch it, before you know they conquer the world and we men become their main slavery export product.
Posted By: broozar

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 15:41

and there are men who do ballet.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/25/08 16:37

"but rather motherly tactfulness."

blahg....

but i didnt even realize poor math was a stereotype. i knew poor driving, but not poor math.
Posted By: DavidLancaster

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/26/08 04:12

Good to see you around Caitlyn.

Originally Posted By: lostclimate
i knew poor driving, but not poor math.

OoooOOoo, a bit below the belt :P

Isn't it within character for someone to come along now and disagree with an obnoxious tone to their words? :P
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/26/08 05:26

no im saying i have heard of driving as a stereotype, not saying girls are bad drivers, just what ive heard of.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: Math and gender stereotype: BUSTED! - 07/26/08 15:34

Quoting TriNitroToluene.
Quote:
They just dont have the killer instinct that is needed for those positions.

Supposedly, in comparison, taking 'healthy specimens' into consideration, of course, the 'fairer' sex has more such bite (killer instinct), and hides it more sharply, while using it more artfully.

It seems, members of the dumber, drone sex might be more sloppy, and more easily manipulated, and thus, also more commonly caught and played.

Also, as stated, members of the util, blunt, aggressive sex, may be more easily programmed and sent off to their own destruction, as fodder to support the hidden motives and shadowy selfish needs of unseen others.

Quote:
I dont like them as government leaders.

While remaining unseen, the ones with real power might let puppets do the show and take the fall.

Certain government duties which might seem to require 'live' leadership, and the accompanying dirty, selfish taint, might be automated instead.

© 2024 lite-C Forums