tim sweeney interview

Posted By: ventilator

tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 08:06

here is an interesting interview with tim sweeney about the future of realtime rendering:

http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/gpu-sweeney-interview.ars/1
Posted By: William

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 10:13

That was interesting, thanks for the link.

I can see what he means, although, I don't think we'll see new engines ditching the API's in the next two years, even if it's the best way to move forward. It may be 4-6 years. Considering there is another console cycle approaching, and companies have too much invested in their current engines to just start over. But then who knows, Crytek mentioned their next engine is much better than the one in Crysis, so maybe there already doing this?
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 12:39

Yes. It is indeed interesting. If this is true, and it sounds that way, then we are on a way back to software rendering. The new options are endless and freedom is great.
Posted By: zazang

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 12:52

Very interesting interview !.I think that Dx10 is a pretty hyped up API and Dx9 definetly was a big leap.Even idtech5
is based on Dx9,but having said that,I feel APIs are still going to stay around and not just die down..atleast not in the near future..if the APIs stay,so will probably the hardware too(and continue to evolve with better and better features...probably GPGPUs will overtake the CPU/GPU market)
There is too much of legacy code and not to mention years of effort to create powerful and optimised APIs..so I guess they will stay and evolve and be widely used.
Posted By: NITRO777

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 12:56

Quote:
2006-7: CPU's become so fast and powerful that 3D hardware will be only marginally beneficial for rendering, relative to the limits of the human visual system, therefore 3D chips will likely be deemed a waste of silicon (and more expensive bus plumbing), so the world will transition back to software-driven rendering. And, at this point, there will be a new renaissance in non-traditional architectures such as voxel rendering and REYES-style microfacets, enabled by the generality of CPU's driving the rendering process. If this is a case, then the 3D hardware revolution sparked by 3dfx in 1997 will prove to only be a 10-year hiatus from the natural evolution of CPU-driven rendering.

This would change direct x and open gl a lot wouldnt it?

Quote:
At NVIDIA's recent NVISION conference, Sweeney sat down with me for a wide-ranging conversation about the rise and impending fall of the fixed-function GPU, a fall that he maintains will also sound the death knell for graphics APIs like Microsoft's DirectX and the venerable, SGI-authored OpenGL. Game engine writers will, Sweeney explains, be faced with a C compiler, a blank text editor, and a stifling array of possibilities for bending a new generation of general-purpose, data-parallel hardware toward the task of putting pixels on a screen.

I think not only that, but it will allow a lot of more esoteric programming languages to build game engines also. For example, I always thought about building a game engine with euphoria but was limited because of not understanding the COM model I would have to use c++ for direct x or open gl, so it would provide a shorter path to the machine. As mentioned when he said:

Quote:
A real programming language unconstrained by weird API restrictions
grin grin

Therefore I support the change 100%

Also by removing direct x we remove the need for microsoft, which is GREAT!
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 22:23

Originally Posted By: TriNitroToluene
Also by removing direct x we remove the need for microsoft, which is GREAT!

They will figure out something for sure, haha like make their own general purpose programming language? I don't think Microsoft is going to let DirectX go without a struggle.

Cheers
Posted By: Joozey

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/17/08 23:43

Very nice article smile Thanks.

DirectX won't be gone at all as tim said. DX10 is mainly focussed on backwards compatibility in the future rather than improving the API. DX9 may hindeed have been the last big revolutional dx step.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/18/08 16:46

Backwards compatibility to what?? I seriously do not get that argument. Sure DX10 isn't a huge step, but from DX7 to DX8 has been an incremental small step with some important improvements also, so... who gives?

Cheers

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/18/08 22:24

No, making sure that backwards compatibility is easier in the future, when DX will be abandoned. Of course you still keep games from the past that run on DX, which wouldn't be able to run if you didn't had DX. Many unhappy users as a result, so you will need DX for a long time to come even though graphic API's are abandoned for newer games. At least that's what I understood.

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/19/08 08:56

APIs are still important even if you can program graphics freely in the future. Many devs don't have the time to make their own rendering solution. They will be happy to get an easy to use API. So a new improved DX, OpenGL or new competitors will be still great solutions to speed up development times.

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/19/08 09:17

I could be wrong here, as I have no vast knowledge about the graphics hardware. But I thought currently, API's like DX and OpenGL communicate with the GPU directly rather than with a software source, which makes programming rather static. An API on a 'new' software based GPU should be proven much more dynamic. So if the case happens that DirectX is stepping over on such an API, it would be an entirely new product.

So that's probably why DX10 is only seemingly upgraded with very minor steps. Behind the scenes they did much more to assure a backwards-compatibility safe future. Aside DX10 I bet they were already working on software based API solutions too.

Re: tim sweeney interview - 09/19/08 09:23

yes, you should call it a software development kit then. Maybe someone even provides a nice graphical interface to develop graphical effects like a shader / FX editor but producing C++ code. There are many options.
© 2024 lite-C Forums