Take part in an AMAZING experiment!

Posted By: Error014

Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 12:41

Hello, dear forum!

Since I want to get back in the whole game-creation-process during these free days, I thought I could start by, you know, doing one of these minigames. Just to get back in the swing of things. I really don't want to spend a lot of time on it, so I've limited myself to one day (okay, definately not more than two days. So basically this weekend.

In order to make this fun for everyone, I will keep a ticker. There you can see in crazy realtime if I make it or how I fail horribly. In any case, it's likely going to be fun!

Why am I telling you this? Mostly because this actually forces me to do this - the embarassment of failing is now this large. Second, because I want you to do that as well! Take some time off this weekend and create a small, interesting game, explore that one concept that you have in the back of your mind. It would be awesome to see dozens of interesting game concepts done by us - our very own Experimental series!
I have posted this here so that you can use whatever you want - always wanted to try to create that MMORPG with QBasic? Why not try that today? Have that idea for a cardgame and want to improve your Delphi-skills? Sounds like a plan for today!

You can do a ticker as well or just post it here, but it would be very nice to see how different people work on their projects. Plus, new users could see how more experienced users work.
If you want, you could also try to create a game with someone you havent worked with in the past to see if your compatible. Lots of reason to take part in this!

So, dear forum, please create games. And if you don't, please cheer on those of us who do.

I'm pretty sure this will end up with zero replies.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 12:45

*cheers on*

very busy this weekend, but i can't let you get away with that "zero replies" remark...

...wait, what do you mean "reverse psychology!?"

but yeah, good on you for making the commitment. i will personally be disappointed if you don't finish anything, or have anything to show for your efforts this weekend.

if that helps.

julz

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 12:54

Quote:
but i can't let you get away with that "zero replies" remark...

There goes my perfect plan to just delete this thread when I lose motivation. Thanks a bunch! >:((

wink

Thanks for the cheering. Too bad you can't take part in this, hopefully other users will! Take the chance, guys! It's great motivation! Julz will provide personalized cheering just for you!™
Posted By: Michael_Schwarz

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 13:04

Gogo Power Range... Erm I mean: Gogo Error014!

Can't wait to see the result laugh
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 13:15

Quote:
Too bad you can't take part in this, hopefully other users will!
absolutely. don't think i wouldn't if i wasn't busy! having never finished a game before i made a game my official major work for Design & Technology at school to force myself to finish. i'd pounce on the opportunity to force myself to do it again. my excuse can be saved for another thread.
Quote:
Take the chance, guys! It's great motivation! Julz will provide personalized cheering just for you!™
i guess it's official now that there's a (TM) next to it!

give me an "e" -- "E"!
give me an "r" -- "R"!
give me an ellipsis -- "..."!
give me a "four" -- "4"!
what does that spell? -- "Error014!"

@all: read the ticker linked in Error014's first post, and be ye therefore motivated by someone else's self-motivation.
Quote:
1:40 PM - Not only have I now informed the forum, but I have also created a few panels using MSPaint...

...2 PM - After spending a few minutes in paint, I’ve come to the conclusion that maybe I need to find someone else to take care of graphics.
lol!

julz
Posted By: Ambassador

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 14:21

Very interesting =D. Would be even nicer if there was a some kind of program that would let you "chat log" your changes to a blog/website/other kind of system.
Posted By: badapple

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 15:08

so when is the deadline for this amazing experiment? monday morn
im just seeing this now (saturday morn) because of major power outage here in mass , huge ice storm!
Posted By: Doof_Guy

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 15:15

offtopic: @badapple - you didnt get your power back until today!? I got mine back Sunday night...lol

But nice idea Error014..maybe ill try next weekend laugh

good luck!
Doof

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 15:28

You can still definately take part in this! The deadline would be monday morning (Bonuspoints if you manage to create the game in one day). Please participate! It would be really enat to see how different our workstyles are, and there are valuable lessons to be had for everyone. smile
We could also post all those games in the Contest-forum and have the forum vote on them - of course we have no prizes (unless someone sponsors something), but it'd still be cool!

badapple and also Doof_Guy, I'm counting on you!

I realize that I should have announced this earlier, but you can still participate in this.
If there is enough interest - and it seems that there actually is - then I could try to organize this a bit better, which would then result in an "Experimental Game"-contest - two days to work on a game that has to fit a certain theme. Who would enter such a contest?
Posted By: Quad

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 16:18

Nice idea Error104
i would enter such contest.

its 18:12 Saturday here ,
if i start after my current busy ness, it's like i have 12 hours total together with my freetime tomorrow to work on such project. since things never goes as its planned, i guess i wont try this time.

good luck ill keep watching your ticker!

btw, i always liked your cool new ideas and long,constructive posts.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 16:29

i would also enter such a contest , even with no prize it would still be fun , and yes having the forum vote for winner would be cool , you should make up some guidlines too , like mini games only or under certain file size or something. smile

@doof guy , well i got power back two days ago but no phone till yesterday and im on dial up , plus all the clean up from it kept me busy until today. i ve never seen so much damage from an ice storm , ive lived in florida and seen less damage from hurricanes!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 16:32

i would also enter

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 17:22

Aah, good to see that there is plenty of interest for that! So shall we have a contest like that next weekend?
Should there be a requirement to have a "developmentticker"? I think that this would be very insightful when it comes to creating games: Beginners would have the opportunity to see step-by-step how games can be created. Of course, we'd limit that to, say, one update every three hours (more if preferred, and only needed when the person actually did something in those three hours). However, I can also understand if most of you are against this kind of thing. Opinions?

As far as guidelines go, you're right, thats definately important! Such a minigame-contest could even be done pretty regulary with different themes ("create a puzzle game", "create an arcade game", "create a game that fits the christmas theme", etc.). I'll make sure to give you guys an interesting theme to work with smile

Since I'm the only one actually working this weekend... laugh
I've posted an early development shot in the ticker. Thanks for the support, guys!

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 17:55

k, well i decided to give it a shot... i will start now at 12:54PM my time and end at 9:00PM tomorrow! Hope everyone else gives is shot too laugh

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 17:58

Im a 3D modeler, and not that good at scripting....is it ok if i modify/use the templates?

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 18:19

Sure. I don't see why not.

I suppose one may use any codesnippet they see fit. Of course, the majority of what makes the game - adn this is entirely subjective and will be judged by the voters individually - has to be created from scratch for the contest. For you, this means (most) levels and models. For me, it means most of the code.

Honestly, I'm just happy that someone is doing this as well - Thanks! smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 18:26

I am glad you are doing this...I have had many attempts at creating a small game, but they never got finished...anyway, i will try my best at this - not great at level making lol

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 19:01

I could just as well post this in User Request, but eeeh.

I need sound and music for this game - I'm not only not talented at all when it comes to these things, I also don't have any program or the hardware needed for that. So could someone please help me out - maybe one of you has these two unneeded musictracks lying around (One for the menu, one for the puzzles)? Something quit and fitting the minimalistic athmosphere (So really some ambient-sounding tracks).
If someone could help me out with that, I'd be very happy here! smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 19:19

maybe have a look at

http://www.freesound.org/

http://www.soundsnap.com/

The idea with the developmentticker is good. I think you should implent it into the contest.
I also find it interesting if the contest doesn't have a specific theme. Just create a game in one or two days, but that is up to you^^
Posted By: Joozey

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 20:13

Yes, good idea to keep users track on projects you're working on, but I am very picky at the way to show progress. They need lots of images to keep people interested. Large chuncks of text are not read by many, and fewer will actually remember what they read. Representation is very important here, and I feel like a blog is not sufficient enough.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 20:22

maybe an extra website, where every user that takes part register and then through an easy formular they can directly upload images and write a short description. And then other users can view the progress from all users on one page.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 20:41

That would be nice, but who got the time nowadays to construct it? smirk

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 20:58

^^i can make it.
I would make it very simple.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 21:19

That sounds extremely awesome to me! Would be fantastic! Would you also offer the needed serverspace? smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 21:22

yes.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 21:34

or what would be easier. I can host a forum. Than we can make a Contests category.
There will be all contests listed and if you click on one contest all users will be displayed that took part. Then you can klick on one user to see more information

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 21:51

or a small PHP site for just that ticker thingy, every member has their own ticker. and other members can add comments to someones page? using imageshack and/or other sites for imagehosting, they can post anytype of html to their site? all member names listed on frontpage?

i can setup such site in 3-3.5 hours i guess.(i would make it pretty simple too, just the main idea: Ticker!)

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 21:55

and on the main page there should be all contest listet and the the users^^.

Error014: What do you want?

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 22:19

I don't want to create another forum for this - we need to keep things going here. The more links the users here have to click, the less likely that they are going to get to the site wink

I think the ticker-thingy - maybe even with comments would be enough.

Thanks for your support!! smile Now if only someone would donate prizes...
I'll look through my code, but I doubt that I have anything interesting (especially not on my laptop here). Anyone else willing to offer something? smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 22:21

ok Quadraxas,
do you want to create the page??

@Error014: I have an prize to offer. PM'ed

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 22:31

ok im starting right now.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 22:35

if you need panels for the page i can create something.
Just pm me.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/20/08 22:49

Well, i have been working off and on this all day...going to make a simple arcade target practise game. How will i upload the game in the end?
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 00:18

Originally Posted By: Error014
Thanks for your support!! smile Now if only someone would donate prizes...
I'll look through my code, but I doubt that I have anything interesting (especially not on my laptop here). Anyone else willing to offer something? smile

How about a copy of Intense X Copper?

Also, I can contribute web space if people have a hard time posting their games. There:

Code:
server: ftp.intense-i.com
username: anonymous@intense-i.com
no password

just go in there and drop everything inside the /incoming folder and i'll set up the html link for you.

Good luck with the contest.. It seems like a really fun idea.. Btw though, I think everyone will agree that my offer on the free IX copy should apply only if we have like at least 5 entries or something..

Cheers,
Aris

PS: If someone already owns Intense X Copper, then I'd offer him a free upgrade to Intense X Silver instead.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 00:57

lol, right now, its just me and error014....he will prolly win, i dont have much experience on doing a project all by my self on short notice...lol
Posted By: LarryLaffer

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 01:18

No I'm talking about next week..

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 01:19

ooo ok, lol sry about that! is this weeks one still up?

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 03:32

well, going to bed now after a long day of working on this project...lol, see you all in the morning (btw, how will i upload the game for download?)

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 09:38

im in for next weekend , the ticker is a great idea, i do the same thing when im working on a project , only i use a simple notepad document in my game folder im working on and i mark my progress at the end of each day. and its great to see users now offering prizes , thanks larry laffer and anyone else that contributes a prize maybe by next week they will be enough for a first , second and third place prize , and i think you should withold the details of what type of game we will be working on until say next fri. this way no one gets the chance for a head start and we all start together smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 09:41

yeah badapple. I thought the same this morning^^.

Thats a cool offer Larry.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 11:04

Wow. Thank you. This forum is simply amazing.

Thanks Larry, thats a very generous offer! That will surely be a great incentive to work on this!
It's amazing how quickly everything comes together for this contest. smile

So what do you all think about limiting it to a theme? (I.e. it might be "Create a Puzzlegame" or "Create a sad game"). I thought about either making it optional (maybe even only as a "helpful" suggestion), or by splitting it in "The best game" and "The Game that fits the theme best". Maybe that'd be a good idea if we had such a contest regulary (every two months or something along those lines?).
So, dear forum - what do you think about themes?

Me, I will now continue work on my Experiment. Will have to finish it today! shocked

EDIT: I've added a shot of the current progress in my ticker.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 14:35

im done almost all the level design and models...but im kinda stuck on coding lol....ill keep working on it

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 15:16

I've just finished the first playtesting session and am now going to finetune the tutorial. When that is doen, I'm going to create lots and lots of puzzles!

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 16:25

Lol, your WAY ahead of me...all well, ill keep trying. Hopefully i will have a working game by tonight smile lol

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 17:17

here's a screen of the game so far.... http://i546.photobucket.com/albums/hh427/Doofguy15/screen1-1.jpg

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 19:33

I'm dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

donedonedonedonedonedonedonefinishfinishfinishfinishedomgomgomgfinaaaaaallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Stay tuned for the Projects-thread!

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 20:16

wholey smokes your fast! I have been trying to script all day, but 3 monthes of experience in scripting isn't enough for a game...lol. This isn't finished yet though, even if i don't finish this today, i will during the course of this week!

Can't wait to see the game tho!

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/21/08 21:34

erm...i dont think im going to finish this today....i'm really stuck on the code...I'll try to finish this over the course of the week...
(If anyone wants to give free lessons on Lite C, I wouldn't mind one bit laugh )

Have fun
Doof

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 00:59

i made some progress with ticker script

(registration,comenting,bbcodes, and some css)

there is still a lot to do like i didnt make updating your ticker yet,contest and ticker management and such. registration needs captcha and mail verification, comments need to be checked for possible injections and such.

ill post a update today, hopefully with some online version to test(monday).[if i go to sleep now, since i sleep like 15 hours then update may come late, haha]

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 02:23

cant wait to see how it came out error014 smile
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 04:56

Error014's Projection

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 16:25

im still working on this even tho its over...could anyone help me come up with a code that will change the color of a light every second?
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 16:33

If it is in lite-c then i can help.

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 17:56

ya, im using Lite C
Posted By: Blade280891

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 18:01

kk, then chat to me on msn i should be able to help

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/22/08 20:17

Scratch that out...im using c (in .wdl)

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/23/08 00:53

C-script smile

Re: Take part in an AMAZING experiment! - 12/24/08 23:37

Everyone, I did it.

Here is the announcement for our little contest!

http://www.coniserver.net/ubb7/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=242658#Post242658

I will give you the theme for this contest on friday. But please already go there and state that you want to work on this!

Let me, at this point, thank you all for your great support! Without people like you - and you know who you are - this community wouldn't be the same. Thanks again!

I realize that there is now that spring-contest-thingy, but I still believe that this one is unique enough. PLUS, WE HAD THE IDAE FIRST OKAY. wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums