Video Games and the Uncanny Valley

Posted By: Dan Silverman

Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/15/09 09:36

This is a very entertaining and funny way to explain the uncanny valley as it pertains to 3D games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKTAJBQSm10

It also gives you something to think about while developing your games in GameStudio.

Enjoy!
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/15/09 15:39

Funny, and nice. Thanks for posting this. smile
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/15/09 16:13

its a great video.
also, i love the "its very brown over there" comment in the end XD
so true...
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/15/09 17:08

very interesting topic, the one thing i noticed is that shadow of the colosus and final fantasy were on the not realistic side, but if you looked at there characters, they are high detail for the system they are on which is one thing neglected to be mentioned, stylized does not = low definition, stylized can have a detailed beauty too it too so even though one of the benefits are that you can use some low detail work for small studios, stylized games are not strictly to hide the inability to make a beautiful game, as some would have you think.
Posted By: Dan Silverman

Re: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/16/09 00:13

Quote:
the one thing i noticed is that shadow of the colosus and final fantasy were on the not realistic side, but if you looked at there characters, they are high detail for the system they are on which is one thing neglected to be mentioned, stylized does not = low definition, stylized can have a detailed beauty too it too so even though one of the benefits are that you can use some low detail work for small studios, stylized games are not strictly to hide the inability to make a beautiful game, as some would have you think.

Right. The purpose of the video was to talk about the Uncanny Valley. And he brought up some great examples. For example, the feature film, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within, ultimately failed because it was so close to being photo-realistic, yet it missed it and, as a result, it became hard to watch ... almost distracting. On the other hand, the Final Fantasy games are certainly stylized. The characters are not meant to be perfectly human, but they are very detailed nonetheless. As a result, the games were not distracting. I recently watched Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. It was also stylized, though incredibly detailed. It did not suffer from the Uncanny Valley as the other Final Fantasy movie (mentioned above) did.

So, yes, deciding to create a stylized game does not mean a sacrifice in either quality or detail.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Video Games and the Uncanny Valley - 06/16/09 01:07

it really is a very good comparison, the final fantasy movie comparison.
© 2024 lite-C Forums